Why is this thing so scratch prone?

Defconrock

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
My previous four smart phones don't have half as many scratches as my GN does. I love this phone to death, but just giving it a funny look seems to scratch it up. I hate screen protectors and have never needed one before, but I guess I learned my lesson with this phone.

Probably a stupid question, but are there any things that people do to at least partially remove a scratch?

trigun123478

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
My previous four smart phones don't have half as many scratches as my GN does. I love this phone to death, but just giving it a funny look seems to scratch it up. I hate screen protectors and have never needed one before, but I guess I learned my lesson with this phone.

Probably a stupid question, but are there any things that people do to at least partially remove a scratch?

I've had three Gn's and the first one got a scratch after like two days. From that point on, I used a screen protector. So get a screen protector like the xo ones they fill in small scratches. http://xoskins.com/samsung-galaxy-nexus-screen-protector-case-fit

I hate the kind of post you got. I know it doesn't help for people to come in and say "mine is perfect." Use the screen protector, or you could pay to have the screen replaced. I know how you feel though, after I saw the scratch I could do nothing but look at it. Hope that helps.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Put it in a sock or sleave and put that into your pocket. Looks stupid, but I don't have scratches (on any of my 4 devices lol).

xeroslash

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
No scratches on my Sexy Nexy. No case or protector on it. If it's not laying out somewhere it's in my pocket. Still smooth as the day I bought it. :)

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Had a case on for a week. Since then no case and a verizon screen protector. Not one scratch. You need to really try to scratch this phone. Keys, jewelry might do it but taking it in and out of pockets and laying it down on surfaces won't do it. Might want to rethink how your handling the phone so you can figure out what's causing it.

Oh and as far as I know, no real way to get scratches out of plastic.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus.

Defconrock

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
You need to really try to scratch this phone. Keys, jewelry might do it but taking it in and out of pockets and laying it down on surfaces won't do it.

Sorry, but this is completely untrue. I've handled this phone with kid gloves and it's still gotten scratched WAY more than any other phone I've had. Went years with the Droid 1 and X without so much as a single scratch on the screen. Great phone, but for at least my unit, this is a weakness.

Reactions: Masheen

shaneneff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
This is what works for me with all phones... I always put it in the same front left pocket of my pants with the screen facing my leg and the back of the phone facing outward. I have gotten into the habit of nothing else going into that pocket. The phone is in my hand or in that pocket. I use no screen protector or case. Pristine (knock on wood) condition. Makes resale a breeze and I can roll naked.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

DroidRat

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
I do the same thing as shaneneff, unfortunately, I have to agree with the OP on this one. I bought a Droid X on launch day, never used a screen protector and no scratches on it to this day. My GN on the other hand has a bunch of wispy scratches on the screen and I've treated it just as gently as my X. I'll have to try one of those XO screen protectors.

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but this is completely untrue. I've handled this phone with kid gloves and it's still gotten scratched WAY more than any other phone I've had. Went years with the Droid 1 and X without so much as a single scratch on the screen. Great phone, but for at least my unit, this is a weakness.

Can't be that untrue, I'm sure not everyone posting here babies there phone yet no one else has had the same issues. Like I said, might want to check how your handling the phone. Plastic does not scratch as easily as your describing. By the way, what are you doing wearing kids gloves?

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
This is what works for me with all phones... I always put it in the same front left pocket of my pants with the screen facing my leg and the back of the phone facing outward. I have gotten into the habit of nothing else going into that pocket. The phone is in my hand or in that pocket. I use no screen protector or case. Pristine (knock on wood) condition. Makes resale a breeze and I can roll naked.

I do the same exact thing. It works.

Undertoad

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I work at a pawn shop part time and you should see what iPhones and iPods look like when they get old. The dumb curved back design is basically unprotectable naked and guaranteed to scratch. They are also really weak along the charger port, and crack vertically up the unit.

I am super protective of my naked nexus. It actually has its own towel I set it down on in the car. My theory is that it's a portable computer and magical item that can decode signals from outer space[1], and not just a phone. If I think of it that way I will never drop it.

[1]hat tip ron white

richardpandy

Feb 26, 2010
Visit site
Had mine for a little over two months and I have several scratches on the screen. Always is in my pocket when not in use and its not a pocket that anything else is ever in. Wonder if its the plastic button on the rear pocket on all my work pants.

Rem3Dy

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site

Your other phones also didn't have the oleophobic coating like your Galaxy Nexus.

macmitten

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I noticed mine having a bunch of little scratches and have since put on a screen protector. Now I have no more worries about the weak ass screen.

Fa11ou7

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
This is what works for me with all phones... I always put it in the same front left pocket of my pants with the screen facing my leg and the back of the phone facing outward.

This is pretty much what I do but I have caught myself adding keys and other junk to the same pocket on occasion. I purchased mine from Costco the day that they offered it and I still have absolutely no scratches on the screen. I started out with a Zagg protector but the naked screen is so much better that I took it off. A couple of you have mentioned plastic, I think in reference to the screen, but the GN has contoured glass - http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-specs. I've seen the videos that show people trying to scratch their GN with keys and it comes away clean so I'm not sure why you guys are having problems. I have heard that glass can't stand up to sand at all so if you guys are living in sandy areas that could be your problem, make sure to take whatever precautions you can vs sand.

Bobaroo

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I have a verizon screen protector (really thin, barely noticable. Much better then my roommates zagg) and a gel case from verizon. No scratches at all. I'd prefer to ditch the case but the phone is too slick without it and I don't like my grip on it. I will also use a screen protector

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa