Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree18Likes

Global Posts
    5,846 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP

OP is a epic troll.... Permaban plz.

Lol jk.. My 2 cents: I have had maybe 1 dropped call period on my Nexus since I got it in December.. Perhaps I'm just fortunate, I believe living in a very well covered area like NYC probably plays a part as well. I will occasionally have a call with relatively poor quality... Static/tinny sounding or whatever... But that is rare for me as well.

For all other intents and purposes I also have my phone for same reasons as OP: For the ease of unlocking and tons of developer support, to surf the Web, play games, and text message. Phone calls easily amount to less than 3% of my overall usage. If phone calls were a bigger deal TO ME it wouldn't have been such an easy decision to sell my bionic and get this.

Majority of the trolli... Ahem... Debating going on in this thread appears to stem from people perhaps just missing OP's point of why he purchased and enjoys his phone, in spite of its flaws, because any flaws it has are not affecting his (or my) daily usage.

Another point to consider: when you invest a significant amount of money, especially in a piece of technology, you have options. And doing your homework.. Which in this case would involve reading reviews, browsing the forums, speaking with owners if the phone, etc.... Is something you simply must get into a habit of doing regularly or you will likely have a number of disappointing experiences. The classic response every trol... Ahem... Person wants to come back at me with now is something along the lines of: "Well I paid $XXX for a PHONE and it should work amazingly well as a phone..." or some such. While I don't disagree in principal, its apparent these folk want to ignore completely their responsibility to DO THEIR HOMEWORK. I spend at least a couple hours (more usually... Days... OMG!) doing research before I spend a chunk of my money on a phone, computer, HDTV, etc... And am proud to have a track record of being very happy with my investments. And if there's anything that didn't live up to expectations the first person I blame is MYSELF... Self, you should have done better homework. Bad buy, self. Live and learn.

Felt like I had more to say but it's early and thumbs are tired now

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    jroc 
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,734 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Default Re: The Oversimplification of the Call Drop Issue in Recent Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dmmarck View Post
    Oh I see it! Sorry I'm exhausted.

It does for me actually, but that's because I prefer Android and I'm not a fan of the glass slate design. So it's not within my preference and is not a legit option for me to maximize my phone happiness so to speak.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2
    No worries....I can take it lol. Consider my posts OP ED. We all need both sides of an argument. Like I say, the openness and developers on the nexus can't be beat.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnly View Post
    No worries....I can take it lol. Consider my posts OP ED. We all need both sides of an argument. Like I say, the openness and developers on the nexus can't be beat.
    Yeah but this isn't about individual comparison between the Nexus and X phone. It's about what the individual user desires, and what device maximizes that desire. So regardless of the points you made, and regardless of me calling this or that phone a downgrade, "facts" are hard to argue when the perspective is so skewed b/c we each want and need a different thing.

For example, I would say a decent majority of the folks rooting/flashing their Nexus love it, but that's because:

1. It gives them an experience unlike the stock experience
    2. That's the behavior they desire to enjoy
    3. The Nexus has one of the best--if not the best--support of any Android device currently
    4. The Android operating system, by its nature, is easily and expansively customizable even in stock form

But again, these users enjoy that and for them, particularly myself and I'm sure a decent portion of RootzWiki, XDA, our rom forum, etc., that's what they wanted in their device. Think of them as the equivalent of Apple fan folks (but ignoring an actual phone comparison b/c that's moot). They want a specific "brand." For one person it may be Apple, for the other it may be Android, and a derivation thereof of the latter is rooting, flashing, etc. etc. But that brand can obviously shift or skew your perspective, b/c again, not to beat a dead horse, everything is subjective to a point.

And of course subjectivity masks inadequacies. That is basic and fundamental economics. Everything, to a degree, is a cost-benefit analysis. If the cost of an item (a device's flaws) outweighs the benefit of the item (the device's upsides) to that actor, then obviously they will like, want, and purchase something that better represents their cost:benefit necessities (or utility, if you want to go there).

For me, the cost (poor radios, spotty mic) is (greatly) outweighed by the benefits (the screen, ICS, rooting/flashing, the shape, etc.). Hence I've been through 4 (including my current). For others, the converse may absolutely be true--but each conclusion is logically valid because it's based on their own choice, subjectivity, utility, and ultimately happiness.

So again, this is not a comparison thread. If I wanted that I would have started the 1000th one. It's about realizing that X user prefers this, Y user prefers that, and A user prefers that, but each preference should not be undermined or chastised because we have no understanding of how that preference is calculated or determined.
    Thanked by:
    jroc 
    BEACH BUM

ROM
    Stock : Rooted, Unlocked

I am at a loss as to why the OP view is so hard to understand or grasp?
    Thanked by:
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,734 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Yeah but this isn't about individual comparison between the Nexus and X phone. It's about what the individual user desires, and what device maximizes that desire. So regardless of the points you made, and regardless of me calling this or that phone a downgrade, "facts" are hard to argue when the perspective is so skewed b/c we each want and need a different thing.

For example, I would say a decent majority of the folks rooting/flashing their Nexus love it, but that's because:

1. It gives them an experience unlike the stock experience
    2. That's the behavior they desire to enjoy
    3. The Nexus has one of the best--if not the best--support of any Android device currently
    4. The Android operating system, by its nature, is easily and expansively customizable even in stock form

But again, these users enjoy that and for them, particularly myself and I'm sure a decent portion of RootzWiki, XDA, our rom forum, etc., that's what they wanted in their device. Think of them as the equivalent of Apple fan folks (but ignoring an actual phone comparison b/c that's moot). They want a specific "brand." For one person it may be Apple, for the other it may be Android, and a derivation thereof of the latter is rooting, flashing, etc. etc. But that brand can obviously shift or skew your perspective, b/c again, not to beat a dead horse, everything is subjective to a point.

And of course subjectivity masks inadequacies. That is basic and fundamental economics. Everything, to a degree, is a cost-benefit analysis. If the cost of an item (a device's flaws) outweighs the benefit of the item (the device's upsides) to that actor, then obviously they will like, want, and purchase something that better represents their cost:benefit necessities (or utility, if you want to go there).

For me, the cost (poor radios, spotty mic) is (greatly) outweighed by the benefits (the screen, ICS, rooting/flashing, the shape, etc.). Hence I've been through 4 (including my current). For others, the converse may absolutely be true--but each conclusion is logically valid because it's based on their own choice, subjectivity, utility, and ultimately happiness.

So again, this is not a comparison thread. If I wanted that I would have started the 1000th one. It's about realizing that X user prefers this, Y user prefers that, and A user prefers that, but each preference should not be undermined or chastised because we have no understanding of how that preference is calculated or determined.
    Would not it be nice to just say your opinion and not have other perspectives or ideals on what a device is to someone objective or subjective...measurable data is always preferred, but there is value in subjectivity...it just isn't measurable. Well said man, and sorry if I feathered your nest. That is not my intention. Rock that beast!
    Thanked by:
    dmmarck likes this.

I think the word "oversimplification" lends one to believe he is trivializing those who have that problem. Reading the post reveals he is simply saying different strokes for different folks.
    Thanked by 3:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #57  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Would not it be nice to just say your opinion and not have another perspectives or ideals on what a device is to someone
    What? You mean would it be nice just talk about your phone and not have people comment? Sorry I don't quite follow if that's not what you meant.

Edit: I see you edited. Indifference curves are measures, they're just never 100% accurate b/c of the amount of assumption that goes along with them .

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,734 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

What? You mean would it be nice just talk about your phone and not have people comment? Sorry I don't quite follow if that's not what you meant.

I know, good English is hard to find these days. We are all used to contractions so I will digress.

Wouldn't it be nice = would not it be nice. (same thing) hope that helps.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #59  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

I know, good English is hard to find these days. We are all used to contractions so I will digress.

Wouldn't it be nice = would not it be nice. (same thing) hope that helps.
    lol it wasn't that part that confused me, it was
    not have another perspectives or ideals on what a device is to someone
    , but mainly b/c I didn't realize it was possessive until after the fact.

That and I screwed up myself w/ Tapatalk, but that's a given. I write so poorly with it...but alas.

Thanks for your contributions .
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,734 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Edit: I see you edited. Indifference curves are measures, they're just never 100% accurate b/c of the amount of assumption that goes along with them .

I get ya, and I understand your post. Sounds like you have the perfect phone for you. I wish I had one some days.

When a patient arrives in the hospital there are to sets of data I use, subjective and objective. I use them both to assume the best plan of care. It is all good dmmark. I don't want to be right, just have a opinion of my own
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,734 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

lol it wasn't that part that confused me, it was , but mainly b/c I didn't realize it was possessive until after the fact.

That and I screwed up myself w/ Tapatalk, but that's a given. I write so poorly with it...but alas.

Thanks for your contributions .
    Lol! And thanks for your contributions as well...
    Thanked by:
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #62  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

rbess - thank you for that.

I personally don't feel the need to apologize.
    I had 4 of these and they all had problems I couldn't live with.
    However I would like an apology from Samsung for lacking any kind of QC. Watching Nokia commercials about "beta test phones" is funny and sad at the same time because I waited and drooled over GN for months and got a lemon in the end.
    And then I got Maxx that I didn't wait for didn't even consider, simply got it out of exhaustion of replacing Nexus after Nexus and the damn thing is flawless.

my GN probably dropped it's first call today, i had it months and was inside a building that had no service. You can't blame a phone for dropping calls when you use it in an area your network doesn't cover well.

Reading some more of this thread and other threads am I really the only person who's had zero problems with his GN and loves this phone?

I bought the phone on release day and have never had a dropped call.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyTop View Post
    I bought the phone on release day and have never had a dropped call.
    Yours is probably made in Korea then. All 4 of mine were from China. I heard the ones from Samsung's motherland are better but were only available at launch.
    Apple and Motorola can make quality products in China, why can't Samsung
    It's been real...

I've never had a dropped call... unless I was talking to someone on AT&T.

No issues with voice at all, just data. Now, not even that.

I know it's unpopular, and you shouldn't HAVE to do it to make your device "just work", yada yada yada.... but these Nexii are quite beastly on a ROM with a good kernel.

I waited the longest to do it on this device because it was a Nexus, but I knew I'd do it eventually anyway. I always have. Super pleased now, just like I ALWAYS am after tweaking my devices.

There are a lot of friendly, helpful peeps in here too if anyone decides to go that route. A word of caution however... it is VERY addicting. Some would liken it to crack

*customized tapatalk signature*
    dmmarck likes this.
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #68  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,930 Global Posts
    ROM
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by panerai7 View Post
    Yours is probably made in Korea then. All 4 of mine were from China. I heard the ones from Samsung's motherland are better but were only available at launch.
    Apple and Motorola can make quality products in China, why can't Samsung
    All four of my devices have been made in Korea.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,734 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

dmmark is an advisor! Bout time I saw that coming....
    Thanked by:
    Nechasin and jroc like this.

ROM
    Something new!

Quote Originally Posted by jaguar10301 View Post
    my GN probably dropped it's first call today, i had it months and was inside a building that had no service. You can't blame a phone for dropping calls when you use it in an area your network doesn't cover well.

Reading some more of this thread and other threads am I really the only person who's had zero problems with his GN and loves this phone?
    I've had zero problems

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post

Also...I just thought of something today. In some cases...it might not be that X phone is so so as a phone...it might just be that Y phone is above average as a phone. If thats the case...X phone might not be too bad.
    I made this comment for a reason. I wont speak on it until I get a few weeks under my belt with Rezound #2. First got stolen, was on the verge of taking it back to exchange the phone or sim card.
    Ok....its not exactly 2 weeks but its close enough...lol.

2nd Rezound...new sim card....same issues as the first:

Call volume gets real low on calls and I have headphones on. It happens randomly...but enough to be annoying.
    Its gets stuck in 1x or has no data and I have to reboot it to get it back.
    Noise cancellation isnt too good. Found this out riding public transportation, the back of the bus ppl have a hard time hearing me.

I'm not comparing it to a G Nex...I'm comparing it to my RAZR. I posted what I quoted for a reason: If another phone is better in a few areas....it doesnt necessarily mean others phones suck. Its just that in those couple of areas another phone or phones is just better than normal.

No phone is the best in every area. We have yet to see that device built. Whatever phone you have....if its working fine for you...thats all that matters. Since we dont use our phones the exact same...and dont all live and hang out in the same area....some of us will have different experiences.

I see posts here n there about the Rezound having better reception than the RAZR or Maxx. Maybe they mean faster speeds? If so than yea...my Rezound does put up faster speeds than my RAZR. My G Nex did too if they were all in good to great reception areas. They both have newer LTE tech than the RAZR and Maxx. So they should. The RAZR and Maxx LTE tech...the speed is capped lower.

I measure, test and compare reception in weak areas...since being in a good to great area....you shouldnt see too many reception issues.

And in all honestly...I dont know which was more annoying...my Rezound or G Nex. My G Nex never got stuck in 1x, and it didnt lose data that much. And if it did...a toggle got it back...like on my RAZR. I never had to reboot them to get it back like my 2 Rezounds. My G Nex just didnt see 4G in places my RAZR and Rezounds did. Either these phone manufactures need better quality control...or Verizon needs better quality control for their sim cards.

Find the least annoying phone....for you.....and you should be fine. For me thats the RAZR. For some its the G Nex, for some its the Rezound, for some its the Bionic. And...I am thinking hard about getting rid of my Rezound and either getting a G Nex or Bionic IF no new phones on Verizon get my attention. I'm at the point I dont use it anymore. Once the same issues popped back up...it was over....

I have a 2 phone limit when it comes to issues. Those who went thru 2+....more power to ya...lol.
    beerhound likes this.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123