Radio Signal Sucks!

slayer91790

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
So today I noticed how crappy Samsung radio signal is. At work I am getting about .79 Mbps which I though well, its old concrete building no biggie. Another co worker came with his AT&T HTC phone and hit about 40Mbps and which I was thinking wow Verizon. But I know that an AT&T tower is closer than a Verizon one which I was okay with my signal strength. Then my other co worker got his HTC Rezound and was hitting about 6Mbps in the same spot I was standing. Test after test he was hitting about 4-7 Mbps and my was fighting to even find a server to run a test on and when it did it was about .56 - .89 Mbps. I love my phone but damn Samsung really!!? This is my first Samsung phone and will be my last.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
So today I noticed how crappy Samsung radio signal is. At work I am getting about .79 Mbps which I though well, its old concrete building no biggie. Another co worker came with his AT&T HTC phone and hit about 40Mbps and which I was thinking wow Verizon. But I know that an AT&T tower is closer than a Verizon one which I was okay with my signal strength. Then my other co worker got his HTC Rezound and was hitting about 6Mbps in the same spot I was standing. Test after test he was hitting about 4-7 Mbps and my was fighting to even find a server to run a test on and when it did it was about .56 - .89 Mbps. I love my phone but damn Samsung really!!? This is my first Samsung phone and will be my last.

Time to root ;)

Reactions: sicario666

slayer91790

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I'm not dropping calls which is good but I am a heavy data user. My signal goes back and forward with 3g and 4g. I also noticed if I am downloading something on 3g inside the building and go outside where I know I get 4g, it will not let go of 3g until there is no data being used. I am rooted with 4.0.3 gummy from :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

sicario666

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
I'm not dropping calls which is good but I am a heavy data user. My signal goes back and forward with 3g and 4g. I also noticed if I am downloading something on 3g inside the building and go outside where I know I get 4g, it will not let go of 3g until there is no data being used. I am rooted with 4.0.3 gummy from :)

Check what radio your rom is using. Settings...about phone. Take a screenshot and post it. FA02 radios are the latest. You can find the zip file and flash them via CWM.

Dropped from LiquidNexus via XparentTapatalk2

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site

This behavior is normal for 4g phones. If you are downloading something on 3g, it won't go to 4g. My thunderbolt did the same. You can go from 4g to 3g though.

slayer91790

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Just sucks to see that other people have a solid 4g signal while I look like a Verizon commercial as me having another carrier looking for signal around the building. My other co worker has the razar maxx and got 2-5 Mbps at the same spot. HTC did better but at least Motorola didn't have to walk around for a signal .

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
or 4.0.4... then he could watch HD baseball from is phone...

4.0.4 radios here...

a6f822df-eae3-a204.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
You think the 4.0.4 radios make a big difference?

Considering I'm typing with 2 bars in a concrete bunker that never had 4G but does now, yes. The switching between networks is much better, with the difference being more prominent than the signal improvements imo.

Keep in mind these are my experiences. Like everything, everyone differs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

veloslave#AC

Banned
Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the 4.0.4 suggestions and have had better (not perfect but much better) luck with it. of course... at this point you need to be comfortable with rooting/flashing.

When I have good coverage I get 49000/16000 kbps

ggiedd

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm on 4.04 radios. 4g was just turned on in middle Georgia last night. Not sure if they are still testing or not. But on my thunderbolt I get 4g with decent speeds but on my gnexus I barely get 3g at home. I hope the next releases improves this. Not happy at all. What's the point if buying a 4g phone if it can't get a signal.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ggiedd

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Just an update, 4g is out again in Mid Ga. So it must be that verizon is just testing now. Hopefully on full time in a few days maybe? 3g signal still sucks.

turdbogls

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
the 4.0.4 radios made a big difference for me. i was in similar position as you were.
i was like 50/50 LTE/3g with terribly slow handoffs at work. my previous thunderbolt could get like 7-10mb down all the time here.

after the 4.0.4 radios, i am more like 90/10 LTE/3g with quick handoffs, and i am holding a 4g connection much better. getting constant 7-10 mb down here. outside this concrete bunker i like to call work, i get a solid 20+mb down everywhere i go.

thebignewt

May 11, 2010
Visit site
the 4.0.4 radios made a big difference for me. i was in similar position as you were.
i was like 50/50 LTE/3g with terribly slow handoffs at work. my previous thunderbolt could get like 7-10mb down all the time here.

after the 4.0.4 radios, i am more like 90/10 LTE/3g with quick handoffs, and i am holding a 4g connection much better. getting constant 7-10 mb down here. outside this concrete bunker i like to call work, i get a solid 20+mb down everywhere i go.
Pardon my ignorance, I've never rooted and don't know how to. So you root the phone which allows one to install things that don't come with the phone, like these "radios". And the Rooters pass this stuff around in files online. But who comes up with this stuff in the first place, does the actual work? To alter the reception of the phone's antennas must take some smarts.

DB12088

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I finally rooted and flashed stock 4.0.4 and have seen a massive difference in signal strength, so i would agree the 4.0.4 radios make a world of difference

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty