Rezound owner looking for honest advice.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Like a lot of people who own the Rezound, I am getting sick and tired of listening to rumors that ICS is on its way. I'm due for an upgrade, and I've been considering the Nexus. Now, with the possibility of Verizon getting the SGS3, would you wait and see what Verizon will be getting in their inventory, or would you take the plunge and buy a Nexus.

I know most of you here are going to be bias because this is a Nexus forum, so please try and be objective in your advice. Thanks!

Hovik818

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Keep in mind that the SGSII was never on Verizon. So who knows if we will ever get it. Just get the phone you believe will be good for you. SGN is a terrific phone, besides the battery life.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
If you are at all interested in third party development ie custom roms and such, the nexus can't be beat.

This post courtesy of Tapatalk2

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Like a lot of people who own the Rezound, I am getting sick and tired of listening to rumors that ICS is on its way. I'm due for an upgrade, and I've been considering the Nexus. Now, with the possibility of Verizon getting the SGS3, would you wait and see what Verizon will be getting in their inventory, or would you take the plunge and buy a Nexus.

I know most of you here are going to be bias because this is a Nexus forum, so please try and be objective in your advice. Thanks!

Like any other phone that is on the market, if you are looking for and interested in the current android operating system, then the Nexus is the way to go. Let's face it, whether it be Motorola, or HTC, you may or may not receive and update to ICS, or whatever skinned ICS either of those manufacturers create for their line of phones.

My advice is to never purchase a phone with the anticipation of receiving an OS upgrade. When you purchase a phone, you need to be happy with the OS and features that come pre-installed on that phone.

Does the Nexus offer the features, os and etc. that are important to you?

anon(596177)

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
Take a good long minute and consider your options.

the quarter two verizon phones will be hitting the shelves soon, if some havent already (havent checked up on it in a while). If you upgrade now, are you going to regret waiting to see what is coming to Verizon a couple months from now?

Have you checked in with all of the negatives of the GNex? Granted, many of the negatives that are discussed in here are isolated incidents, but how are you going to react if you happen to be one of those unlucky few? But also keep in mind that no phone is perfect, so as yourself if you are going to be happy with a phone that:

positives:
- Is GREAT, like second to NONE great, when it comes to development and custom ROMS, and being able to completely tailor the phone to YOU (That is if you are bold enough to go as far as rooting and modding the phone)
- IS vanilla android, which means a non-skinned, fast, most up-to-date OS.
- Is almost surely going to be supported for updates far longer than most other phones (just take a look at how long the nexus one was supported)
- is (add more positives you may think of yourself here, like huge screen, soft key buttons, etc.)

negatives:
- most people have poor battery life. I consider mine average.
- Less than stellar radios. Not terribad, but if seeing 2, 1, 0 bars frequently is going to intimidate you, you may want to reconsider.
- drops data (not nearly as frequent in the unofficial 4.0.4 update, but if you arent going to unlock/root that is something to consider for now.)

I may sound like I'm trying to dissuade you from trying the GNex, but that's not the case at all. I love my phone to death and there is literally nothing out on the market and nothing that has been officially announced yet that has even made me bat an eye in interest. You wanted neutral advice and hopefully I have given that to you.

I have heard that other than not having ICS yet the rezound is a terrific phone.
when I went for my upgrade my choices were between the rezound and the gnex. My final decision to buy the nexus was because of vanilla ICS and the 4.65 in screen. But if i were in your shoes and I had bought the rezound instead of the gnex and I had another upgrade on the way, I would probably scope out the summer phones before making a final decision on the gnex. That way if i saw something come out that I liked better Id go with that, and if not the GNex should have a new OTA by then (maybe?).

But ultimately, the choice is yours.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I love my phone to death and there is literally nothing out on the market and nothing that has been officially announced yet that has even made me bat an eye in interest.

But ultimately, the choice is yours.

Couldn't have put it better myself!

kca2000

May 10, 2011
Visit site
The nexus is a great phone if you live to tweak your phone, if you love rooting/roming/customizing your phone there probably won't be a better choice anytime soon. The ease of unlocking/rooting and the dev support really make this the phone to get in that sense.

If thats not really a concern you have to realize you still have a current, solid phone. Your gonna see a decent amount of next gen high end phones trickling out in the next 4-6 months. Quad core, better LTE radios, better graphics/screens. Its a never ending cycle. If you were asking this question with a Droid X2 or another last gen non 4g phone i would say go for it in a minute. But considering your current phone has 90-95% of the features the nexus does, Id wait.

Your gonna get ICS, its a fact, probably sooner rather then later. I know waiting sucks, but look at the people/threads regarding the wait for our first major update. (Theres like 10 of them) Its taking forever it seems, so ultimately the grass is not much greener on this side.

Also these negatives Poseign posted are 100% accurate. I also consider my battery life average for an LTE phone, not terrible, but it depends on use. But if data/signal drops worry you, this phone may give you some serious issues, depending on your area.

negatives:
- most people have poor battery life. I consider mine average.
- Less than stellar radios. Not terribad, but if seeing 2, 1, 0 bars frequently is going to intimidate you, you may want to reconsider.
- drops data (not nearly as frequent in the unofficial 4.0.4 update, but if you arent going to unlock/root that is something to consider for now.)

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
You guys have been great. I couldn't have asked for more sincere, honest advice. Thank you.

I'm not a fan of rooting, mainly.because I'm not technically inclined. That's why I thought the Nexus might be a better fit because of how often it is updated. The Rezound has available ROMS, but none of them seem to be stable. Besides the lack of updates, the Rezound has been totally solid. But I really feel that I'm missing out on things the Nexus does and the support it receives.

I suppose I'll wait a few weeks to see if Verizon has anything "better" to offer. I'd like to see them acquire the SGS3. The announcement is coming soon. Again, thank you all for your awesome advice!

Sock-Monkey Pete

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I had the rezound for about 2 weeks before the GNex, the rezound is a very nice phone that almost persuaded me not to get the GNex. Your ICS update is rumored to be in the relatively near future, so waiting is definitely the best choice. Who knows, after the ICS update you may opt to just retain your phone.

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Just remember, no what what phones come out in Q2 with all the hyped specs that really mean squat except for in benchmarks, it still won't be a Nexus!

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I had the rezound for about 2 weeks before the GNex, the rezound is a very nice phone that almost persuaded me not to get the GNex. Your ICS update is rumored to be in the relatively near future, so waiting is definitely the best choice. Who knows, after the ICS update you may opt to just retain your phone.

So you think that people should make decisions off of rumors? :confused:

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Also to consider is even if the Rezound gets ICS soon, how sure is anyone that it will get Jellybean and how long will that take if it does?

Sock-Monkey Pete

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
So you think that people should make decisions off of rumors? :confused:
lol not what I was intending to project, but I was posting between college classes on my phone quickly.

I meant more in the sense that there is no harm in waiting, there will always be something better down the line and the upcoming update to ICS (sooner or later) is a great reason to hold off. I would speculate that HTC might update sense as well, which would be outstanding because the sense on that phone made me feel... unclean. The phone is a fantastic phone, outside of the sense feel, and it would be a shame to purchase a phone that is slowly depreciating (? la Moore's Law) from a phone that was also released around the same time in hopes of greener grass. There will always be something newer, nicer, and better down the road. If you are patient, there may be some extreme awesomeness heading our way.

On the bright-side, the next Nexus will be arriving towards the end of the year and they may have better luck with Verizon's network by then.

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Isn't the rezound a fairly new phone? You can't be content with what you got?

I'm a phone junkie. I bought it on its release date. I hold on to phones for 6-8 months. I wanted Nexus owner feedback before surrendering my Rezound, which IMO, is a sweet piece of technology. But I'm tired of hearing false rumor after rumor about the Rezound getting ICS.

The feedback I've gotten from you folks has been helpful. I'm gonna wait for the SGS3 press release and go from there. If the SGS3 makes its way to.Verizon, I'll have found my replacement. If not, the Nexus is still a definite maybe.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm a phone junkie. I bought it on its release date. I hold on to phones for 6-8 months. I wanted Nexus owner feedback before surrendering my Rezound, which IMO, is a sweet piece of technology. But I'm tired of hearing false rumor after rumor about the Rezound getting ICS.

The feedback I've gotten from you folks has been helpful. I'm gonna wait for the SGS3 press release and go from there. If the SGS3 makes its way to.Verizon, I'll have found my replacement. If not, the Nexus is still a definite maybe.

Sorry for chimming in so late haha

The nexus is an awesome device, but we may be seeing a new nexus this year., seeing as how a new nexus comes out every year. I would wait a bit and see what else comes out this year

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for chimming in so late haha

The nexus is an awesome device, but we may be seeing a new nexus this year., seeing as how a new nexus comes out every year. I would wait a bit and see what else comes out this year

Better late than never! But you're right. The only risk is who would get the rights to the new Nexus. My luck it wouldn't be Verizon. My left brain is telling me to wait for the SGS3 or new Nexus. But temptation is truly a !

Nakrohtap

Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Isn't the rezound a fairly new phone? You can't be content with what you got?

This was my initial thought. I am thinking you should have just held out a few weeks for the Nexus when it first came out. Even if it is announced at some point that the "SGSIII" will come to Verizon, it won't be until fall. It sounds like you want another phone now. Phones are always improving spec wise. If you are always wanting the best that is out, you will never be satisfied. Most phones coming out now should be future proof until your contract expires. My suggestion is that if you are that worried about what OS will be on your phone is to learn how to root.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87