Verizon holding up our update

Undertoad

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
You can un-root if you think it will be an issue. If it's a software issue they would be within their rights to deny fixing it, but you can merely return to the stock release and nobody will ever know.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
You can un-root if you think it will be an issue. If it's a software issue they would be within their rights to deny fixing it, but you can merely return to the stock release and nobody will ever know.

Yup. It takes ~10 minutes to unroot, relock, and restore.

Reactions: 2defmouze

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Anyone who says to root and update yourself is not the answer. These manufactures should be required to fix bugs within a normal time frame.

Everyone says to root, but that is not what Verizon says. Verizon says if you root we will void your warranty. So unless Verzion puts out a memo that says we are okay with everyone rooting their GN to fix problems that we cannot they need to be held accountable for releasing fixes!

The problem is these companies have so much money rolling in they couldn't care less about the few people with problems. It is all about the big picture.

So now it is Samsung's problem? Where in your contract does it disclose, that you are entitled to any updates?

Reactions: Ry

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Your warranty becomes voidable, meaning it is at their election to void your warranty. It is not automatically voided.

And I've done the above without any problems. It's not like your phone has a massive flag that says "rooted," particularly when the issue is hardware related. I don't recommend being so cavalier or risky, but alas.

At this point, through three different phones, I haven't had a problem with that. Then again, most VZW stores, I think we tend to know more about our phones than they do.

I have to yet to have any rep go into my phone and check the OS version I'm using. It isn't to say they can't. It just hasn't happened to me yet.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
At this point, through three different phones, I haven't had a problem with that. Then again, most VZW stores, I think we tend to know more about our phones than they do.

I have to yet to have any rep go into my phone and check the OS version I'm using. It isn't to say they can't. It just hasn't happened to me yet.

Same. Particularly if it's a HW issue and not a SW issue.

That being said, again I don't recommend that. But the "root and in one foul swoop you're screwed" mythology that runs rampant is a bit...misguided.

Undertoad

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I think if they are smart enough to know it's rooted, they're smart enough to know whether it matters. I think corporate knows better than to mess with its smartest customers, the ones who'll be buying the most and the most expensive phones and recommending phones in articles and message board posts and such. Just my guess.

Yung_Dilla

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
From what ive heard from a buddy of mine that works at verizon he basically said his friend from corp told him the gnex isnt a priority right now and they will update it when they pretty much see fit. Dont know if thats true but seems that way and it sucks!!

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I think if they are smart enough to know it's rooted, they're smart enough to know whether it matters. I think corporate knows better than to mess with its smartest customers, the ones who'll be buying the most and the most expensive phones and recommending phones in articles and message board posts and such. Just my guess.

Yup. I also think that what Paul said is equally applicable; like anything in life, those who have used it more usually have more expertise. I presume the sales persons know a decent amount, but probably not nearly the amount some/most of us do.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
From what ive heard from a buddy of mine that works at verizon he basically said his friend from corp told him the gnex isnt a priority right now and they will update it when they pretty much see fit. Dont know if thats true but seems that way and it sucks!!

That's probably true. For a company like VZW, their priority is going to be whatever the latest and greatest phone to hit their system is.

Honestly, that is why you don't purchase a phone like these for what it maybe at some point in the future, but for what it is at the time you purchase it.

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
So now it is Samsung's problem? Where in your contract does it disclose, that you are entitled to any updates?

Whether it is Samsung or Verizon, you should still be entitled to a working device which you are paying for. No one is asking for new features, we are asking them to fix radio issues...

For everything else we have root.

KineticMD

Would-be Doc
Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
The next Nexus I buy is going to come from Google directly. I'll deal with AT&T if I must, but being off contract is sounding more and more enticing every year.

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Whether it is Samsung or Verizon, you should still be entitled to a working device which you are paying for. No one is asking for new features, we are asking them to fix radio issues...

For everything else we have root.

There's a difference, however, between intermittent working for X amount of users and completely not working for all users. For a lot of people, the device is doing as expected, so these types of "complaints" don't resonate loudly with those "in charge."

Reactions: Ry

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Not to "defend" Verizon, or anything, but I can't imagine they purposely hold back updates, or anything like that. I don't deny that it's frustrating how long it can take for updates to release, but I doubt any of us really know what, exactly, is going on at Verizon that is causing them to be held up. It could be any number of things. But it doesn't mean Verizon is sitting on updates, trying to annoy their customers, or worse, trying to push their customers to other phones.

Well speculation was the original release was delayed because vzw had to suppress Google wallet. seems to me they're a big sensor board. Remember when we couldn't get gps on Google maps on the first smart phones? they probably refused the original iphone because of youtube interfering with vzw flicks (forgot what out was called back then)

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Well speculation was the original release was delayed because vzw had to suppress Google wallet. seems to me they're a big sensor board. Remember when we couldn't get gps on Google maps on the first smart phones? they probably refused the original iphone because of youtube interfering with vzw flicks (forgot what out was called back then)

VZW Navigator. Such a terrible thing.

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
There's a difference, however, between intermittent working for X amount of users and completely not working for all users. For a lot of people, the device is doing as expected, so these types of "complaints" don't resonate loudly with those "in charge."

Agreed... I find it funny though that I just saw an article saying that some people have been having data issues on Sprint's version and Sprint and Samsung are already working on a fix.

Curious to see how long that update takes.

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'll write more about this in my column this week. But the short version is this: Verizon has ALWAYS been ... shall we say ... thorough in its network testing. This is not new, and it'd be awesome if blogs weren't so quick to slap bad headlines on things.

I agree that this is hardly new, but I don't agree that news sites shouldn't call Verizon on it. Publicity is about the only thing that large corporations react to these days, so I'd rather see more coverage rather than less. The fact of the matter is that Verizon is taking too long, and they should very much feel pressure to speed up the process.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
I'll be ready to accept that it's Verizon alone as soon as ATT or some other carrier starts passing them by with ICS upgrades for their LTE phones. Shouldn't take long at this particular stage. The whole argument that it would be a disaster to brick someones phone and prevent an emergency call is also negated by the LTE Xoom. What reason does Verizon have to hold back the Xoom update unless Motorola and Samsung both have trouble updating ICS for LTE.

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-v...rickle-out-dialer-trick-appears-help-it-along

http://forums.androidcentral.com/htc-vivid/161610-ics-updated-no-hack-nor-rom.html

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yup. I also think that what Paul said is equally applicable; like anything in life, those who have used it more usually have more expertise. I presume the sales persons know a decent amount, but probably not nearly the amount some/most of us do.

In my experience, most times, the in store VZW reps that I have dealt with know just what they have been told to know about the phones they sell. There have been a few VZW reps that clearly were "Android Enthusiasts". I say this based off of my interactions with them. There have been times in which I'll mention something about a phone that we have discussed ad nauseum in the forums here and the typical response is usually somewhere along the lines, oh... I've never heard about that.

I think that to be able to identify a rooted, a rep would have to know what to look for. I'm not sure that is something that is necessarily covered in their training on each specific device.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, I wouldn't be willing to be wrong if I wasn't willing to admit I was wrong.
I can't believe Google lets the Nexus brand get killed like that.
Apple doesn't wait for VZW. They roll their updates whenever/whichever carrier.

Why can't Google do that again?

Yeah I don't get it. Verizon spends more on each iPhone with their bigger subsidies, too. So they pay a higher price to Apple and let them do their own updates. Any idea why they would give these perks to Apple and not Google? Even if it was 50/50 Android/Apple sales Verizon would be making more money from the Android phones.

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Well, I wouldn't be willing to be wrong if I wasn't willing to admit I was wrong.
I can't believe Google lets the Nexus brand get killed like that.
Apple doesn't wait for VZW. They roll their updates whenever/whichever carrier.

Why can't Google do that again?

Maybe Google isn't in quite the same position financially as Apple so they are unable to do that.

I also wonder if it has something to do with Apple having the ability to push updates through without VZW.