[ICS][4.0.4][4/2] Official IMM76K Update Thread for the VZW GNex

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
Re: [ICS][4.0.4] Official IMM76K Update Thread for the VZW GNex

This update is purely stock so it's not deodexed. Please don't ask for a technical explanation but basically a non deodexed rom cannot accept themeing.
Your best bet like moosc stated is to install a custom rom. Aokp has the most selection of themes and it's way better than stock.

This post courtesy of Tapatalk2

There is also a deodexed version of this in the rom forum ;).

Reactions: davey11

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site

There is also a deodexed version of this in the rom forum ;).

Thanks didn't know there was a deodexed version. ;)
Even so, there is not one theme that is made for stock roms.
He could install themed apps and mods. But no full themes.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Hey guys-need some help ASAP. Short of the long, I bought a craigslist desktop pc a while back with windows 7 ulitmate (I know...never again). It crashed after a while and a tech guy at work got me XP. All seemed well. So I finally decided to make the time to unlock/root. I can't even get my pc to recognize my gnex. I've been messing around and searched the net for about 2 hours. I've downloaded wmp 11, the mtp (mtppk12), and restarted. I've checked the "enable USB debugging" on the handset. I keep getting the "found unknown hardware wizard" and I still get an error. Where am I going wrong? I have a laptop but it's old (have a nice work laptop I can't use for this). This desktop is getting close to going out the window lol. Hoping it's something simple. Appreciate it...didn't think this warrants it's own thread but perhaps. My apologies if it does.

EDIT: it does now say portable device...but when I double click it opens and emty galaxy nexus folder. Downloaded the Sammy USB drivers. Now it recognized my device, as in no wizard prompt, but empty folder. What should I be selecting? Sorry this is embarrassing lol

Last edited:

alcor34

Aug 19, 2010
Visit site

Hey guys-need some help ASAP. Short of the long, I bought a craigslist desktop pc a while back with windows 7 ulitmate (I know...never again). It crashed after a while and a tech guy at work got me XP. All seemed well. So I finally decided to make the time to unlock/root. I can't even get my pc to recognize my gnex. I've been messing around and searched the net for about 2 hours. I've downloaded wmp 11, the mtp (mtppk12), and restarted. I've checked the "enable USB debugging" on the handset. I keep getting the "found unknown hardware wizard" and I still get an error. Where am I going wrong? I have a laptop but it's old (have a nice work laptop I can't use for this). This desktop is getting close to going out the window lol. Hoping it's something simple. Appreciate it...didn't think this warrants it's own thread but perhaps. My apologies if it does.

EDIT: it does now say portable device...but when I double click it opens and emty galaxy nexus folder. Downloaded the Sammy USB drivers. Now it recognized my device, as in no wizard prompt, but empty folder. What should I be selecting? Sorry this is embarrassing lol

Have you downloaded and installed the usb drivers from samsung.com?

wadles

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site

Gotta download the wugs toolbox or whatever it's called and install it. Then run it to help your over recognize the phone and also help you root and stuff. Hope it helps. Aloha!

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

Thanks guys. Yes, I've downloaded the usb drivers from Sammy now. I've done all the reading on unlocking/rooting to feel comfortable, or at least I was, but I wanted to start by backing up my pictures to my PC. I will definitely be using Wug's Toolkit (and donating) but not even being able to see my pictures to copy them was disconcerting. After installing the Sammy drivers, and with my phone unlocked (doah!) I see internal storage with some folders in MTP mode. I can see the screenshots I took of my homescreens with the intention of using them after rooting, but I can't find my pictures in the folder (or in PTP mode). I guess I'll start with Jerry's non-rooted backup now that my device is recognized and hopefully learn wtf I'm doing along the way. Appreciate the quick responses...sorry to hack the thread.

EDIT: Think I just overreacted super noob style. Jerry's backup wonder machine doing its thing at the moment...then onto Wug's. Pumped.

Last edited:

macmitten

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Being on stock os is hard to theme. a lot more work is involved. Best bet is to flash a popular rom like aokp liquid they have good theme support.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Sweet! I have the aokp now... could I flash the 4.0.4 radios over this rom? Sorry for the noob questions ahead of time.

JEvoUser

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site

We have the same/similar package available in the RADIOS guide in the development/flashing subforum ;)

What happened?

zero neck's radio guide in the flashing subforum!

Let me look around. Another user here said they flashed a version of SU.zip for 4.0.4. You would need that to re-root.

I've read that OTA RootKeeper has been hit or miss, BTW. If you want to keep root, I suggest waiting for a "rooted" version of this--which will undoubtedly come out soon, along with 85 different roms with the merged changes--or waiting until the proper files can be updated (superuser, etc.).

Well I forgot to use root keeper the first time so my superuser was not working and I was a little nervous I goofed my phone because computer was not detecting when searching adb devices but turns out I just forgot to turn on usb debugging :). Otherwise it would have been a bad day thanks though.

Last edited:

rreich49

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

I waited forever to root my Gnex and finally did it today. Everything went fairly smoothly until I attempted to flash this update. I'm sitting here looking at a picture of a hat on my phone.

Am I screwed?

dmmarck

Retired Moderator
Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I waited forever to root my Gnex and finally did it today. Everything went fairly smoothly until I attempted to flash this update. I'm sitting here looking at a picture of a hat on my phone.

Am I screwed?

Need more details please.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

bbudnick5001

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
He must be talking about the background of cwm. I bet he deactivated one of those buttons from trying to scroll up and down and then when he pushed the power button to select the options disappeared. It happened to me a few times at first. Now cwm touch is my friend:)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

zedorda

Mar 16, 2011
Visit site

Am I screwed?

It seems you may of disabled the BACK button within CWM then hit the power button and the screen went blank other than the hat? If so hit the power button again will bring everything back then play with the vol+ and vol- till it says the BACK button is enabled at the bottom. Then the power button will work correctly.

I suggest you upgrade to the touch CWM it doesn't do this.

Reactions: dmmarck

psunami

May 28, 2011
Visit site

I've been trying to apply the 4.0.4 update to my non-rooted/non-unlocked Nexus and every time I try to enter Recovery Mode, the phone hangs on the Google logo. Anyone seen anything like this? I have all of the files in place for the upgrade, it just won't ever get me to a point where I can select the update.zip file that I have in place.

Thanks.

psunami

May 28, 2011
Visit site

yep. I know there is a different process, and that is what I followed. One of the last steps is to enter the recovery mode to select the update.zip file that you have to upload to the phone via adb. When I attempt to access the recovery mode, the phone locks at the Google logo. Apparently this is a pretty rare error. Looks like I will have to either do a wipe of my phone or wait until the OTA update goes live though.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site

yep. I know there is a different process, and that is what I followed. One of the last steps is to enter the recovery mode to select the update.zip file that you have to upload to the phone via adb. When I attempt to access the recovery mode, the phone locks at the Google logo. Apparently this is a pretty rare error. Looks like I will have to either do a wipe of my phone or wait until the OTA update goes live though.

I suggest you forgo the "official" update and unlock/root and flash a custom rom and the new radios (kernel/theme/etc if you want). If you can follow the steps required to do this on a stock gnex you will have absolutely no problem unlocking and rooting. Rooting isn't some bad word that only evil hackers can or care to do. I spent hours reading etc (which was overkill imo now). but it's very simple. I've done it both the long way and the toolkit (did toolkit first, which is completely noob proof and walks you step by step and relocked it to do it long way for fun). Let me tell you my device was amazing stock, but it's an absolute stable beast now. I couldn't care less about OTA updates now or ever again. I plan on keeping this device for a long time...and it'll always be top notch thanks to the amazing dev community. Just my 2 cents:cool:

psunami

May 28, 2011
Visit site

Oh, I have no problem with rooting or unlocking devices, but my work denies our phones on our Enterprise mobile management software if they are unlocked or rooted.
That was my primary reason to try the work around.

Eventually I will just give in and root the device though. I can't wait on those radios and software updates forever...

Thanks.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana