Update to JB Right After Purchase?

OJ

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
So, after months of research and deciding and then undeciding, I have finally convinced myself to go out and purchase a GNex tomorrow morning. A brief history: my first Android phone was the Fascinate...which was...let's just say it was like losing your virginity, really sloppy. After almost a year of using it stock (with BING!!!), I went over to the DINC2. Good device, but boring.

Now I want a nexus, but am new to the whole "rooting" thing. Should I upgrade to JB immediately after I buy it? Will 4.1 solve issues with radio, battery, mic issues, and random reboots? Should I just root it and install ROMs that fix those problems? Or should I leave it stock and see if my device is lucky enough not to have those problems.

Let me know please and thanks in advance!!

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
So, after months of research and deciding and then undeciding, I have finally convinced myself to go out and purchase a GNex tomorrow morning. A brief history: my first Android phone was the Fascinate...which was...let's just say it was like losing your virginity, really sloppy. After almost a year of using it stock (with BING!!!), I went over to the DINC2. Good device, but boring.

Now I want a nexus, but am new to the whole "rooting" thing. Should I upgrade to JB immediately after I buy it? Will 4.1 solve issues with radio, battery, mic issues, and random reboots? Should I just root it and install ROMs that fix those problems? Or should I leave it stock and see if my device is lucky enough not to have those problems.

Let me know please and thanks in advance!!

Keep in mind that the problems you've mentioned are often not as widespread as this forum may indicate -- at least on brand-new, stock devices. I'm not saying they aren't big problems, but you're certainly nowhere near guaranteed to get a device with at least one of these issues. No fewer than four (five?) of these phones have passed through my hands, three of them new and the other one/two CLRs. Only the latest one, a Like-New Replacement, showed any signs of a problem (minor problem with its signal). Finally, it's typical for a much larger percentage of people having these problems to post than those who are not having any at all.

Android 4.1 is new. Very new. Yesterday new. You're likely to encounter some sort of problem if you start using it right away -- patience is a virtue. However it is true that the further down the road we get with updates, version increases, and raw development time, the problems will gradually disappear. It shouldn't be too long now.

But definitely don't instantly look to Jelly Bean if you're going to pick up a Nexus. The custom ROMs built on ICS for the Nexus (such as LiquidSmooth and AOKP, to name two popular ones) have done away with most of the problems you've mentioned. I've tried more than one of them, and each one had strong and consistent signal, no mic issues, no reboots, and generous battery life most of the time. You might also consider trying a ROM that is purposely kept close to stock. All of the development time goes into ironing out every perceived issue with stock 4.0.x and providing a clean UX, rather than adding all the bells and whistles as well.
TL;DR ;)
Using a polished 4.0.x ROM for at least a week or so to ease into the unlocking, rooting, and ROM process on this phone would be a perfect way for you to get ready to flash a 4.1 ROM that is more stable and thoroughly-examined than what's been rushed out the last day or so (no offense intended to those developers; the last day or so has been awesome). After that, there's no reason to hold back from strapping on some 4.1 polish.

Let us know how things go when you pick it up. :D

Reactions: dmmarck

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
The only way to fix battery problems is with a big battery. OLED, LTE and GPS suck a lot of power, I don't think that any software update can make a difference except for standby power consumption. That said, Amazon sells a couple of 3800ma batteries for the GN for $20. I have the Trexcell and it works great. I'm pretty sure both batteries are made my the same manufacturer.

If I were to buy a phone today I'd seriously look at the S3 before buying a GN. The S3 has a slightly bigger screen, 2G of RAM and a better camera. The differences aren't significant enough that I feel like the GN is obsolete but I would at least look at both phones side by side before making a purchase.

I'm guessing that there will be Jelly Bean ROMs for the S3 by the fall, there might even be an official update by then, although I wouldn't hold my breath.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87