Getting the Wifi Tethering Option to Work

Murph5150

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm on a rooted GNex with Bugless Beast version 4.1.1 and I can't get the free Wifi tethering applications to work. Is there any secret? I've tried a few of them and my laptop, and iPad don't pick up its signal. Am I doing anything wrong or possibly omitting a step?

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Delete all of the tether apps you've installed, wipe Dalvik cache, and use the native tethering app (WiFi Hotspot).

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
As in the one that comes with the ROM. It's free and VZW doesn't see you using it. When you open it, it doesn't go to VZW to ask you to sign up for the hotspot service.

jdk2

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
No, you need root. It works on the JB ROMs I've tried. It's usually listed in the features list of the ROM in question.

bjrosen

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
For unrooted ICS you can use FoxFI, it works very well on ICS. FoxFI doesn't work on Jelly Bean but since you can only get Jelly Bean by rooting it's a non issue since, as a previous poster pointed out, on rooted phone you can use the built in hotspot without Verizon knowing.

doughms

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Got the native wifi tether to work. However, seems 5-10 mbps slower, after 10 tests over the last 12 hours & multiple locations, than the Wifi Tether app on ICS.

cmandd

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
For unrooted ICS you can use FoxFI, it works very well on ICS. FoxFI doesn't work on Jelly Bean but since you can only get Jelly Bean by rooting it's a non issue since, as a previous poster pointed out, on rooted phone you can use the built in hotspot without Verizon knowing.

The thing I didn't like about FoxFi was it sucked the battery dry by keeping the phone awake. I am using Fattin/Hotspot widget, all it does is turn on the native app and bypasses authorization. Works great on my unrooted GNex.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
You have to be rooted and running a custom ROM. Rooted + stock isn't enough.

That is not the case at all!

I am unlocked, rooted and STOCK! as in stock recovery, and no roms at all. I have wifi tether for rooted user's from the market (free) and I get wifi hotspot with no chargers.

so No you dont need to have a custom rom to get free hotspot.

*from some custom roms though you can use the native wifi hotspot and not need an app to bypass vzw authentications, but as I said the app is free so if you dont want to use a ROM you dont have to. you dont even have to unlock or root to get free wifi If you read up on some of the tether widgets that also bypass authentication.

familia5az

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
On Bugless Beast 4.1. Can I change Ssid and password to something more recognizable or should I leave that alone on native hotspot? Thx

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89