Switching from WP7.5 to Android

Guidos Dad

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
How do u feel about the metro design vs the holo design?

Sent from my jelly bean flavored nexus

Well, the Metro Design I place it like many do as a cross in between iOS and Android. I guess the whole idea behind being with the LIve Tiles is you set up certain Tiles on your front screen and to get information to you in a quick glance what's important to you. The thing is with WP7.5 that information is a bit limited what you get. Way limited to what you get with Widgets you can set up and the live Notifications you get on Android.

Which leads me to a quick questions. The Notifications that get on my phone running Jelly Bean, i get little symbols at the top of the screen telling me something new has come in (email, an app update available, etc), I thing swipe down from the top of the screen and it expands the detail what each notification is. I really like this. There is much more information here than what you get with the updating in WP7.5 live tiles. Is this notifications as I describe new with Jelly Bean or did it come out with ICS. A couple people at work who have older Androids running versions of Gingerbread I think I don't remember seeing this on their phones.

The Metro Design to me is meant to be nice and neat and orderly to have up front for you what is important, but meant to be more customizable than iOS. It's not Android (ICS/Jelly Bean). To me now that I've been using my Nexus for a bit, the Metro is kind of "staid" and a bit boring to look at. Now, with WP8, they're doing more to make that Tile Screen more customizable, but, from what I seen is still not Android. It's not Holo Design.

Which as far as the Holo Design, which being new to Android I understand the Holo Design is new with ICS? I know again thinking about some friends older androids running gingerbread, their layout of their screens to me seem more "rigid" looking, growing out of the look of the iPhone and iOS with all the little app Icons checkered around the screen. Is the use of Widgets and what you can do with them by customizing them to the kind of information you get from them more new and expanded with Holo? In what I've read about Holo that what I was thinking. The looks of my phone with this Holo Design as it's called I've found much more live to me. The screens, the looks, the information just pop out more at you I think. The rigid look of the boxed app Icons on IPhones is what I don't like about it. Get's really boring looking at in my opinion. The Metro Design if great as far as accessing all the information on your phone, the most important stuff from basically one screen where as on Android/Holo you skirt between different home screens to get to different information. But, what you can do with those home screens to make them the way you want is what I've found pleasing about Android over my WP.

Does any that make sense? Not sure I'm doing a good job trying to say what I feel about it.

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Thank you again for the response. I get what you say about the different designs having different purposes for them. I sort of meant though which one did you think looked better? For example lthe messaging apps between wp and android; which looks better? Or between the contact apps on the platforms? Or even just the home screens of each os. Thanks again. Oh and expandable notifications were introduced in jelly bean( where you can two finger swipe down on certain notifications to reveal more info.) However the notification bar has always been in android since it was released.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

Rionken86x

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Well after looking at some others screens mine seem simplistic, but that's some of the fun I'm finding with this phone is playing around with different setups. Here's what I've done.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Nice! Ahh you're in a band too eh?

Guidos Dad

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Thank you again for the response. I get what you say about the different designs having different purposes for them. I sort of meant though which one did you think looked better? For example lthe messaging apps between wp and android; which looks better? Or between the contact apps on the platforms? Or even just the home screens of each os. Thanks again. Oh and expandable notifications were introduced in jelly bean( where you can two finger swipe down on certain notifications to reveal more info.) However the notification bar has always been in android since it was released.

Contacts in Wp is part of your Peoples Hub as they call it when you go into it were as with android contacts is just a seperate app. As far as comparing the looks of the two I guess I got no excite able opinion about either. One nice thing with android is you can scroll down the list of contacts where in my wp you could scroll by flipping the screen like you would through web screens and such or you pick the first letter at the beginning of the list and a table table of the alphabet comes up to select more directly where you want to go in the list, or do a search. The android I like the scrolling holding down on the screen and slidding down to scroll and you your shown the alphabet letters as you slide. The functions setting up or editing contact information seems to be generally the same with both.

Guidos Dad

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site

I don't do much texting so messaging I don't spend much time in. For both OS they seem functional. Again, haven't done much in either to say a whole lot to compare them.

If your a big facebook fan and do a lot in it, WP integration with it seems more there. Through the peoples hub with your Facebook friends synced in you get a running monitor of what their posting, just like Facebook widget will do on the android but in the WP you can write to your wall or comment on a friends posting without actuly opening up Facebook.

Guidos Dad

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Nice! Ahh you're in a band too eh?

:p. No I'm not in a band. I guess your referring to what's shown on the shot of my calendar screen? My oldest son is in high school marching band and I'm the band boosters treasurer so I got stuff on the calendar. I'll brag on my son some and mention he's his band Drum Major:D.

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I don't do much texting so messaging I don't spend much time in. For both OS they seem functional. Again, haven't done much in either to say a whole lot to compare them.

If your a big facebook fan and do a lot in it, WP integration with it seems more there. Through the peoples hub with your Facebook friends synced in you get a running monitor of what their posting, just like Facebook widget will do on the android but in the WP you can write to your wall or comment on a friends posting without actuly opening up Facebook.

Oh btw, the Facebook widget allows you to write on your wall and comment on friend's postings.

Rionken86x

May 31, 2011
Visit site
Ahh niiice! Lol. I've only been in Concert Band, Symphonic Band, Orchestra, Wind Ensemble Band, and Jazz Band. I've always wanted to be in a marching band but my school didn't have it. :(

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Ahh niiice! Lol. I've only been in Concert Band, Symphonic Band, Orchestra, Wind Ensemble Band, and Jazz Band. I've always wanted to be in a marching band but my school didn't have it. :(

No rock band? Haha

Guidos Dad

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Oh btw, the Facebook widget allows you to write on your wall and comment on friend's postings.

It does?! OK I'll have to check that out. I'd not picked up on that. I really don't frequent it that much. I mainly have it on there to sneak on my wife and son some ;)

Guidos Dad

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site

Cool! My son plays tuba / sousaphone so he doesn't get the chance in a Jazz band.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
One thing about a custom launcher is that you can backup and restore your homescreens. This is extremely convenient if you ever decide to delv into the wonderful world of custom roms etc. That is really what sets Android apart, and especially the Nexus line. I use Nova, but Apex is just as good. You can also set a lot of swipe/gesture actions. I would also recommend Titanium Backup or MyBackup Pro if you flash other roms. Google does a great job of restoring but I like the security blanket, if you will. I've run a lot of JB roms but I haven't ever tried yours. Do you have a widget or something in settings that's called something like rom manager? That's where you can do all of the customizations your rom has to offer. You could also flash a different kernel such as Franco (has an app that'll auto flash) which offers further customizations. If you like tinkering, this is for you. If you like a phone running better than stock it's for you too. Of course, you can just stay on that rom forever and enjoy it. Definitely at least take a look at the stickies in the root/rom/hacks section. The "hard" part of unlocking/rooting (it's easy) is already done for you. Make sure you check out Google Now. Get Google Wallet, free $10 and it blows cashiers minds lol. Swipe up from your home button. Few screenshots of my current setup... Oh and welcome. I enjoyed your comparisons and this thread in general.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
If you use Google Chrome browser, you can download an app on both your pc etc. and your phone call Chrome to Phone. Whatever you're looking at on your pc you can send to your phone. Really cool. I used Chrome browser on all my computers at home and work now because of it, and well, I like Google stalking me and Google Now creeping me out lol. Plus it's fast.

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
It does?! OK I'll have to check that out. I'd not picked up on that. I really don't frequent it that much. I mainly have it on there to sneak on my wife and son some ;)

Yeah. You can click on the post you want to like/comment on. You can update your status by pressing the paper and pen icon in the top right corner.

Guidos Dad

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah. You can click on the post you want to like/comment on. You can update your status by pressing the paper and pen icon in the top right corner.

Does it open your Facebook app then to comment/like someone's post? That's what my widget does. I'll Have to look at my Trophy again (my wife is using it right now) and check again how it works on it.

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
If you go to settings on the widget and then select integrate with.... choose internal. You probably have yours set to the Facebook app for android.

Guidos Dad

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
If you go to settings on the widget and then select integrate with.... choose internal. You probably have yours set to the Facebook app for android.

Found it. Yep that worked. Pretty much like on Wp as far as I can see. Only real difference is you've loaded an App and widget to do what WP has set up in WP already without the need for the App.

elvisgp

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Found it. Yep that worked. Pretty much like on Wp as far as I can see. Only real difference is you've loaded an App and widget to do what WP has set up in WP already without the need for the App.

That's good. But at least with android u have a choice if u want to use it or not. Gotta love the freedom of android.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87