anyone got in trouble for using 100gb/month on VZW Galaxy Nexus?

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I don't agree. The percentage of people still with unlimited now is reduced by so much from what it was, and the percent of those with unlimited that actually use say over 10 gig a month is even smaller.

I do agree that they will try to eliminate the unlimited data package in the future by pushing discounts, cheaper plans, any of that. They won't simply drop the grandfathered plans... If they did they break contract (for me at least). I predict they will offer some sort of huge discount for the grandfathered plans and that will force people on a new plan.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

cmandd

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
My assumption is my opinion that's all, the first negative response has already taken place: Verizon no longer offers unlimited data. I also believe that in time (my opinion) they will find a way to put an end to all unlimited data plans. It is my opinion that as customers with current unlimited plans increase their usage to numbers that Verizon considers not sustainable everyone including myself will lose their unlimited data plan.
Unlimited plans were not dropped due to overuse, abuse, too much data, etc. They were dropped because Verizon realized they could get people hooked on fast data, make them unaware of how much they were actually using, then charge them for it. The number of people going over their data cap each month > the number of people using high amounts of unlimited data.

"Very few people go over 2GBs a month, but hey, check out how great Netflix looks. Go ahead, watch all you want. :wink: :wink:"

carhopper

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello, this is my first post on Android central, although I've been a lurker for years. I had to comment on this thread even though it won't make any difference to the people that don't have unlimited data. I live in the sticks and my only means of internet are cellular, satellite, and ISDN. I've tried them all, and even contemplated getting a T1 as I have a home office, but I couldn't stomach $350 per month for 1.54mb/s, although the latency would have been phenomenal. I finally settled on 3G a few years ago with a verizon affiliate that offered unlimited data with their version of a receiver and some diversity antennas. I was in hog heaven for a while, until Verizon released 4G in my area. After realizing speeds of about 8mb/s down and up with a 4' Yagi antenna, I purchased a 20GB plan and we were off. We use this as a whole house connection with a modem plugged into a Cradlepoint MBR95. My son games, we do occasional youtube, but certainly no VOD or Netflix and we were using between 16-22gb and giving verizon not only $150 just for the data, but going over and paying an additional $15 to $30 each month. 4G LTE is like the Garden of Eden, they give you this massive capacity, but you can't use it. 20GB, heck even 100GB is nothing in today's digital world. After searching around for the best option, I purchased a grandfathered Unlimited plan and now we use over 100GB per month which is very easy to do with gaming, pandora, 3 TVs with Directv VOD, Netflix, my home office downloads, you name it. At my download speed, if I downloaded continuously at the average rate I could hit 3 Terabytes per month as one user stated. Now in my paradigm, that's too much and abusive, but who am I to say. I do know that cable companies and DSL have unlimited data, but they have disclaimers about file sharing, running servers, etc so if detected they can shut you down. I actually got a warning from one of my cable providers in the past because my kids were using Limewire and unknowingly serving files to the internet.

So to recap, 100GB is nothing for home use. Verizon now has a 50GB plan for $350 which is highway robbery, and they will continue to up the limits.

Last edited:

quicksilver53

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Amen to that.! That is rediculous amount. I have a 6 gb plan and I am constantly one my phone and have only used 1gb at most in a month. I do use wifi whenever I can.
Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums

yosteve

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Before I bought cable I had to stream TV on my TV from my phone. You can hit gigs easily and I was saving a bill.

Hope they never kick us out!

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
For home use if you've cut the cable and use Netflix, VOD, etc 100 GB is not an unreasonable amount of data. I have hit that many times since I cut the cord (2008). On a mobile device that's a whole different story. BTW, it is only my wife and I, if you had a couple of kids using Hulu, Netflix and You Tube the sky's the limit.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: anyone got in trouble for using 100gb/month on VZW Galaxy Nex

I got unlimited data and i have used 3tb in one month and they never throttled or anything, I stream a lot of high def netflix most of the day and use the phone as a internet connection.

With constant use, 3 TB is 1.21 MB per second in a 30 day month. Calling this as nonsense is most likely accurate. That's every second of every day for 30 days at 1.21 MB per second. 3 TB is approx 3,298,535,000,000 bytes. This equates to 102.4 GB per day. I'm not suggesting the phone can't do that, although I seriously doubt it.... but even hardcore gamers sleep, which would severely lesson their consumption and make 100GB+/Day bordering on impossible. As of right now I'd call it vastly improbable.

Joannou1

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

Sorry to bump this, but it's already been bumped before from awhile ago.

I live out in the mountains, hardly anyone around here.
Cable, DSL, Dialup, and Satellite internet are not options sadly.
I bought a grandfathered unlimited VZW account on eBay for about 100 bucks, and am using it heavily today.

I almost hit 1 TB of data usage further back than the 6 month chart will show.
My family all use the internet heavily, and it adds up like crazy with all the computers we have.

427f2.png

I don't feel bad about my data consumption.
We get around 70MBps on the phone, and about 25-35MBps down after the wifi tether.

Last edited:

nemov

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site

It seems like there should be a special plan for your scenario.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I never thought that would be possible. If you hadn't shown that picture I would have dismissed you as a crack-pot. 500gb monthly average peaking at 1tb! A million internets to you sir!

Joannou1

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Heh, thanks.

I bought my own phone on eBay, and then Verizon sent me a free GS3 to replace that one, which was against their policy, but they did it anyways...
My contract expires in a couple months, will I be able to renew it without trouble?

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Haha. I used ten gigs in one month before I went to T-Mobile out of spite, cause I had the unlimited plan.. I called to cancel and I told them I just wanted to suck as much data up as I could before I left. They laughed at me. Lol.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Heh, thanks.

I bought my own phone on eBay, and then Verizon sent me a free GS3 to replace that one, which was against their policy, but they did it anyways...
My contract expires in a couple months, will I be able to renew it without trouble?

If by 'renew' you mean purchase a device at a subsidized price and get yourself in another one- or two-year contract, then you may run into an issue due to the data usage. If you just plan to continue paying the monthly rate (but not extending a contract), you'll probably be alright until the point if/when they send you a letter based on the data usage alone. That's what I've done, and I've been keeping the VZW Galaxy Nexus on that line in the car as a hotspot. In-car WiFi. ;) I don't use more than 250GB in any monthly period, but haven't had any trouble.

Joannou1

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
If by 'renew' you mean purchase a device at a subsidized price and get yourself in another one- or two-year contract, then you may run into an issue due to the data usage. If you just plan to continue paying the monthly rate (but not extending a contract), you'll probably be alright until the point if/when they send you a letter based on the data usage alone. That's what I've done, and I've been keeping the VZW Galaxy Nexus on that line in the car as a hotspot. In-car WiFi. ;) I don't use more than 250GB in any monthly period, but haven't had any trouble.

Ah cool, so I can continue paying my 70/100 per month after the contract is up, and I can be on my way?
Nice.

Some guy had VZ FiOS and used 70TB in 1 month... Verizon called him to ask him what the hell he was doing with all that data.
I wouldn't be surprised if I got a call from VZW saying wtf sometime soon.

(Also for those who want to see a world record speedtest on VZW...)
Done on a rooted GS3 with HyperDrive ROM installed.
557981107.png

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95