Suddenly, GN getting hot with severe battery drain ***SOLVED***

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
My wife has had her GN since January. She loves it. She's not a techie and seldom installs new apps. In fact, the last new app she installed was months ago.

She gets very good battery life because she seldom uses her phone during weekdays, only at lunch.

Starting Monday she's notices a dramatic battery loss and the phone getting hot. She said that, at lunch on Monday she had about 85% battery (from 6:30am to 11:30am). Then, when she pulled it out of her purse at 3:30 it had only 6% battery. It was so hot that it blistered the back of the phone cover.

Since Monday noon battery life has been horrible. You can hold it in your hand and literally watch the battery percentage drop.

I've looked at all the normal things. Data usage isn't up. Battery usage shows normal things, Screen, phone, etc. are the big users. No unusual apps in the list. GPS, bluetooth, NFC are turned off.

Yet, there it is. Hot and fast battery drain. Something dramatic has changed and I'm at a loss to figure out what it is. Could it be the battery has gone bad? Could it be an app? Is there an app that I can download to find out exactly what is at the root of battery usage?

I have two things in mind. 1) Change the battery. Some cost there. 2) Do a factory reset. Some pain there.

Any quick thoughts to help me out?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Last edited:

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: Suddenly, GN getting hot with severe battery drain

If you have a Nexus, swap batteries with her. Although I'm fairly certain it's not the battery

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

dcastillo

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site

Can you post up a screenshot of her battery usage and details for us?

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

If you have a Nexus, swap batteries with her. Although I'm fairly certain it's not the battery

Good suggestion, I'll do that tonight.

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Shot in the dark, but do you have the official eBay app installed? The last update rolled the app back to a previous version and the app began force closing and draining my battery like crazy. I had to uninstall it and completely reinstall it.

That or a bad app or update might be the issue. Ask if she installed or updated anything recently.

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

Try something like Better Battery Stats or Badass Battery Monitor to see if an app is behind the battery issue.

Sent from my Thunderbolt with a 4.3-inch screen and LTE

fonzman78

Dec 15, 2011
Visit site

I had this happen to me about 2 months ago. I took my Nexus in to a Verizon Corporate store and showed them the problem. They were going to replace the battery but I told them that I have 3 batteries and it happens with all of them. They decided to replace the phone and sent a replacement. I haven't had any problems with the replacement phone.

TabGuy

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

My wife found the issue. She had two text messages with photos attached that were stuck in the "sending" mode on her phone. The date and time of these messages corresponds with when her battery started dying. Even through reboots and battery pulls those messages stayed in the "sending" mode with a swirling circle. I don't know why they never got sent but once we deleted those two messages her battery use went back to normal.

Case solved.