Will the GN get multi window?

Kunzy8

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
First time posting, I am very interested in getting GN2 but would consider keeping GN if it were to receive multi window feature. I'm not rooted but would root for this feature. Is it a software update or part of JB 4.2 or possibly KLP update any thoughts?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
First time posting, I am very interested in getting GN2 but would consider keeping GN if it were to receive multi window feature. I'm not rooted but would root for this feature. Is it a software update or part of JB 4.2 or possibly KLP update any thoughts?

I presume you mean this multi-window feature? To the best of my knowledge ? and my Android knowledge is typically accurate ? this multi-window feature only exists as a Samsung addition, ? la TouchWiz. Because of this, it's unlikely you will see such functionality coming with stock Android anytime soon. As for a community developer building this in to a 4.x-based ROM? It's certainly possible, but my guess is you'll have to do a lot of pushing or have a significant amount of support in order to see such an idea realized. Furthermore, the "multi-window" ability almost directly contrasts with ? and contradicts ? the method of multitasking and user interaction that Google has been pushing since 4.0, and refining in 4.1+.

It more or less comes down to the fact that in such a mode, screen real estate is extremely limited for each application in question. There's a reason why Windows 8 tablets/desktops support it, yet it isn't present in Windows Phone 8. This is also likely a reason why Samsung introduced it on its tablets and phablets to start, and potentially part of why its smaller flagship phone, the S III, did not launch with it. On a device with a screen less than five inches diagonal, even with properly- and responsively-designed application interfaces, the basic UI elements such as the Action Bar would take up a disproportionately large percentage of each application's allotted height.

Perhaps this was a bit more detail than you were looking for. ;) TL;DR ? Probably not.

Edit: oh, and welcome to AC! It's an great place to be. :D

2defmouze

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I presume you mean this multi-window feature? To the best of my knowledge ? and my Android knowledge is typically accurate ? this multi-window feature only exists as a Samsung addition, ? la TouchWiz. Because of this, it's unlikely you will see such functionality coming with stock Android anytime soon. As for a community developer building this in to a 4.x-based ROM? It's certainly possible, but my guess is you'll have to do a lot of pushing or have a significant amount of support in order to see such an idea realized. Furthermore, the "multi-window" ability almost directly contrasts with ? and contradicts ? the method of multitasking and user interaction that Google has been pushing since 4.0, and refining in 4.1+.

It more or less comes down to the fact that in such a mode, screen real estate is extremely limited for each application in question. There's a reason why Windows 8 tablets/desktops support it, yet it isn't present in Windows Phone 8. This is also likely a reason why Samsung introduced it on its tablets and phablets to start, and potentially part of why its smaller flagship phone, the S III, did not launch with it. On a device with a screen less than five inches diagonal, even with properly- and responsively-designed application interfaces, the basic UI elements such as the Action Bar would take up a disproportionately large percentage of each application's allotted height.

Perhaps this was a bit more detail than you were looking for. ;) TL;DR ? Probably not.

Edit: oh, and welcome to AC! It's an great place to be. :D

Spot on.
:)

Kunzy8

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Your post was not too detailed at all was exactly what I wanted to know. Was unsure how the multi window was being presented to the GN2 and soon the S3. You make some very good points I didn't consider about the size of the windows once in this mode. Sprint store has the N2 to look at but hasn't received this feature yet. Would be interested in seeing it in action before I take the leap. Thank you for the info and thanks for the welcome to the site.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums