This is the last automatic software and security update for this Chromebook. To get future updates,

Jul 13, 2022
Visit site
I bought a cheap older HP Chromebook, to see if I want to start using Chromebooks. I am kinda liking it, less hassle than a Windows pc, so I would like to keep using it. I can't afford to buy a newer model right now.

But I now get this message:
"This is the last automatic software and security update for this Chromebook. To get future updates, upgrade to a newer model"

Does this mean that after this Chromebook stops getting updates, it will soon or eventually become vulnerable to hacking, malware, etc?

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Chromebooks are still very secure, since they aren't affected by most attacks aimed at Windows PCs (that require installation of a malware program). But there could still be other vulnerabilities in the future that arise, and those obviously couldn't be accounted for with future updates. I would say it's reasonable to continue using a Chromebook for maybe a year beyond its end of life. By then, you should have a good idea if Chromebooks are right for you, and then upgrade to a more recent model. The good news is that newer models should get updates for 8 years.

Jul 13, 2022
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Chromebooks are still very secure, since they aren't affected by most attacks aimed at Windows PCs (that require installation of a malware program). But there could still be other vulnerabilities in the future that arise, and those obviously couldn't be accounted for with future updates. I would say it's reasonable to continue using a Chromebook for maybe a year beyond its end of life. By then, you should have a good idea if Chromebooks are right for you, and then upgrade to a more recent model. The good news is that newer models should get updates for 8 years.

Thanks for your reply. Good to know I can use it for a while longer, until I can get a newer one. I have been doing a little research hearing what other people are doing to keep using older Chromebooks. Installing Linux seems like too much trouble. The Firefox browser on Google Play Store doesn't work well. I was thinking of using the Brave Chromium browser, and do updates regularly. Does anyone have thoughts on the Brave browser?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't have any real interest in Brave. They market themselves as a browser for those truly concerned about privacy, and throw a fair amount of shade at Google (making lots of false implications about what Google might do with your data). But Brave has not had a completely sterling reputation themselves: https://decrypt.co/31522/crypto-brave-browser-redirect

Using a VPN might be reasonable if you're concerned about privacy. I have NordVPN and use it if doing something that might be sensitive (like remote access of a hospital chart).

Jul 13, 2022
Visit site
I have the free Proton VPN on my Chromebook. I will start keeping it turned on regularly. I will never do banking or enter credit cards, I will keep my Windows pc for that. But I have many other accounts, like twitter, facebook, Amazon seller, etc. that I want to keep secure. I am using Google 2 step Authentication on most, so that should help.

I have read that Brave does some sneaky stuff to keep it's sponsors. It just seems that since it will still get updates it might be worth considering, since Chrome browser will no longer get updates.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think you'd still be safe doing banking on your Chromebook, especially with a VPN. (Windows can be at greater risk for malware, unless you're staying completely on top of updates and antivirus software.) But you might want to consider one of the paid VPNs, since I'm always a little suspicious of the free ones. As you probably know, very little in life is absolutely free, without something in return. So you have to ask yourself what that company is doing to stay in business ... :-\

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
NordVPN is one of the more well-regarded VPNs, and they usually have discounts for subscriptions. If you use a lot of Google Drive space and decide to pay for a Google One plan, remember that the 2 TB plan comes with Google's own VPN service for free. That plan is $99/yr, which isn't bad -- $8.25/mo for a ton of storage and a VPN you can trust! The only downside I can see with the Google VPN is that it's not available in as many countries as Nord or other VPNs: https://support.google.com/googleone/answer/7582172?hl=en&co=GENIE.Platform=Android. If you wanted to travel to China and use a VPN there, you'd be out of luck with Google's.

Jul 13, 2022
Visit site
I am kinda tight for money for the next couple of months, so I would have to hold off on getting a VPN subscription until then.

Funny, I am coming up on 63 years old. I've been using Macs and Windows machines for a long time. Getting used to a Chomebook is interesting. No installing apps, it's mainly just web browsers that run extensions. Somethings I will still need my Windows laptop for, but most things I need to do now feel simpler using Chromebook. And simpler is good for me now.

Jul 13, 2022
Visit site
This is my Chromebook. I bought it from Walmart a few months ago in Mexico.
my chromebook.jpg

I think I misspoke in my last comment. I have added many apps to my Chromebook, it is just simpler than installing apps on Windows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali