[How to] edit apps for use with multi window.

dominick_7

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I tried using the one from the classpath and it didn't work at all. I entered the one from the C: drive 86x program files folder for Java and it SAID it worked.. but obviously didn't. Don't know which path to enter or where to get it from. Maybe that's what's wrong and why the script closed out which forced me to do the manual method?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
go to start on your computer>right click on "computer" and select Properties>Advanced system settings>Advanced tab>Under "System variables" highlight CLASSPATH>click Edit button>Variable name should be similar to this .;C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\lib\ext\QTJava.zip

Thanks for the help guys, I had read the manual that was included in the APK Multi-Tool and was already editing my system path.When all else fails, RTFB. I haven't had to edit a path since MSDOS 3.3 and that's a long time ago! Just for reference for mine I had to add C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin

BTW, I use Norton Internet Security and it's never had a problem with java but I've used others that did.

I tried using the one from the classpath and it didn't work at all. I entered the one from the C: drive 86x program files folder for Java and it SAID it worked.. but obviously didn't. Don't know which path to enter or where to get it from. Maybe that's what's wrong and why the script closed out which forced me to do the manual method?

Follow the above posts I quoted

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

dominick_7

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
I did the second one, decomplied added the script, edited the xml file then recomplied, it said it worked but it won't show up in the Multiview pane:/

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I did the second one, decomplied added the script, edited the xml file then recomplied, it said it worked but it won't show up in the Multiview pane:/

So I have seen in a couple places that some apps don't work in multiwindow because they are not set up to use at a the MW DPI (dots per inch). Apps that do work have code to work at a wider range of dpi. I have not found a way to change dpi without root but ill see if I can find a way.

If I do find a way I will post it. (But please only make the modification on AOSP apps since they are open source for the world to modify)

st.kenneth

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hey,
Great!! thanks for sharing.
however, I can do this to my 8track.apk by these steps :

put the apk in the folder (place apk for modding)
run the script.
choose decompile
then after running the script and decompile it, I got the apktool folder inside C:\User\myname\apktool
replace it with your 1.apk (why cant I replace this first then decompile the 8track apk? it showed error when I replace it before decompiling)
I recompile it after replacing it.
and sign it.
works perfect with the 8track.apk

however, I can't decompile Musicxmatch.apk.
I tried doing the samething ( I didnt replace the 1.apk before decompiling)
and still errror
I tried doing your way (replace the 1.apk then start the script and decompiling it)
and still error to decompile.
help?

renies91

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if this has been brought up in other threads, but is it possible to do this to Pandora?
Another thing, I've tried to do this to an app called Power Amp Full Version, but it didn't work. :'(
I've successfully gotten SketchBookX to work. :D I'm really happy about this because now I can look at pictures for references when I draw, which is what I was really looking forward to when multi window came out. Thanks a bunch for the tutorials!

dominick_7

Dec 31, 2010
Visit site
So I have seen in a couple places that some apps don't work in multiwindow because they are not set up to use at a the MW DPI (dots per inch). Apps that do work have code to work at a wider range of dpi. I have not found a way to change dpi without root but ill see if I can find a way.

If I do find a way I will post it. (But please only make the modification on AOSP apps since they are open source for the world to modify)

Cool look forward to seeing a guide. Thanks.

Seems there is still a lot of people having issues getting this working. So I put together a YouTube video of install and run through

I left out pulling the app and installing it, but here you go...
How to edit Android APK files to on Multi View on the Galaxy Note 2 - YouTube

Dood this is awesome! I missed the part about adding the new Path above besides adding it below. Also didn't get the right options in the Script. Had to return my Note 2 because both were defective, think the thanks goes to UPS as Best Buy uses them. Almost never had anything survive their drop kicking, but I have done this process you describe step by step to all the apks I have and can't wait to try them on the Note 2 I reorder as soon as possible! Looks like this will finally allow me to get these apps working in Multiview. Thank you for everyone else who's helped with this but a very big thank you for the video, makes it very clear via the directions and being able to see the steps with your narration.

pastorjeffj

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm having trouble manually signing the apk file all the files seemed to be compiled properly but can't get it signed. Also my apk file has spaces in the name so not sure how to handle:
java -jar SignApk.jar -w testkey.x509.pem testkey.pk8 "mms.apk" signed.mms.apk

Manachinu Manachinu

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
If script closes immediately after option 9, i think its because there are spaces in the apk file name. Remove spaces and try again...managed to fix it that way...Let me know if it works.

Bobby Sarnoski

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Manachinu is right. I had to try the manual install first, and got all the way through only to find out that the program still wouldn't do the multi-window. Probably an error on my part somewhere. I tried again, only taking the space out of the name and using the program, and it worked like a charm. Big thanks to everyone on here who got this going and especially to pool_shark who put together the comprehensive step-by-step guide. I loved the phone before, but now that I essentially have full run on choosing which programs I can multi-screen it's everything I could have asked for.

spersich

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying to get this working and finally have Java running correctly from command prompt but when trying to decompile an apk using the script I get the error message "mode not recognized as an internal or external command." Any thoughts?

rnv_female

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Can someone help me verify my phone setting because for some reason the .apk files i create do not cross over to my multi-screen bar... But I was able to confirm they work because they apppear on my friend's Note multi-screen bar... I set my phone up with the the 3D UI tutorial with the multi-screen live wallpaper...

Actually... it cant be the settings because I uploaded an .apk file sent to me and that worked?!... what am i doing wrong???

Last edited:

pool_shark

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Can someone help me verify my phone setting because for some reason the .apk files i create do not cross over to my multi-screen bar... But I was able to confirm they work because they apppear on my friend's Note multi-screen bar... I set my phone up with the the 3D UI tutorial with the multi-screen live wallpaper...

Actually... it cant be the settings because I uploaded an .apk file sent to me and that worked?!... what am i doing wrong???

This is awesome Thank you! Question, is there a way to also get the app to show in the Multi-Window Dock?
I appreciate any help anyone can provide!

Sounds like you both are having the same problem.
The apps should automatically show in the multi window dock, I only had one successfully edited that did not show up.
I wonder if there was an update that is affecting the procedure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa