"Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly."

Laura Wilson2

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I too was having the issue with Calendar only not syncing (Calendar sync is currently experiencing problems. We will be back shortly)
I tried Emmanuel Desir answer below, except I just cleared cache and data ... finally worked!!

To solve the calendar issue,
Go to Seting/Application manager/All/
Select Calendar Storage application and Enable it.
The calendar will synchronise perfecty.

Thank

Cher Barker

Jul 15, 2015
Visit site
I am getting this same error. If you click on remove account, a message pops up stating that all your mail, contacts, etc. will be deleted from the device. I am trying to back up the data from the device to google. I need to have an alternative solution. My mail is syncing fine. The rest of it fails. Just thought of this...I'll see if maybe I am out of room on google? Will come back after I check.

seer89

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Thank you so much!!! I tried everything to get google play working with no luck! It hadn't worked since the day I bought it. It opened for the first time today after following your directions. :)

neiro01209

Aug 30, 2015
Visit site
i had this problem too.
i live in Iran, if you live in same country or at least you are facing filtering too. i would suggest connecting using a proxy like hotspot shield.
this actually solved my problem :)
i have seen one more solution ,
go to settings and clean all your cache and data from your contacts storage and contacts.
i've seen some people got solved their same problem with that solution.

THIS IS TERRIBLE TIP. DO NOT DO THIS UNTIL YOU EXPORTED YOUR CONTACTS TO YOUR CARD. Clearing Data from Contacts Storage will erase all contacts that you have in your phone(those saved locally) and only leaves you with those in your SIM card and Whatsapp(hopefully)! TAKE PRECAUTION!

Just to clarify, this worked BUT this tip should come with a warning! Lucky for me I've exported my contacts a month before and able to import them back in(sweet that I have the option to import them directly into Google too), but I still lost those newly added contacts!

LionsOmega

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Anyone else getting this message for syncing gmail account with the phone? Anyone know what it means? Gmail works but calendar and contacts sync only sporadically, and I get this message.

I have that msg every time I try to sync. Background data on but playstore says it isnt. Then I get the msg sorry but drive has stopped working. Can't fix anything cuz I can't download anything, even updates!

Last edited by a moderator:

eibbed0001

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I was getting that message on my Google Contacts. I went to the Applications list, cleared the cache and the data for the Contacts and the Contacts Storage apps and then synchronized again and it worked fine.

tcalves

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I just did that: deleted the Google Account, rebooted the device and then added the Google Account again. It worked! Thanks! :)

David Powell AU

Dec 27, 2015
Visit site
The first time this latter suggestion ('clear data') was suggested (on page 1 of this long thread), another poster raised the same warning.

I wonder whether the other popular solution - 'delete the account and re-create it' - has the same issue?

If you only ever add new contacts, calendar items, etc., from the web interface, there'd be no problem. But usually, we expect synchronisation to work two-ways: we create new items on both our mobile devices and our desktop units.

The 'local data', I take it, is the recent information - contacts, calendar events, etc. - that you've entered on your mobile device (like your phone), and haven't yet managed to get a copy of on the web. Precisely because sync is 'broken'! So who wants to 'get sync going again' at the cost of losing your recently booked appointments and acquired contacts?

I've often wanted a way to identify recently logged contacts on Google (e.g., sort by date entered.). That's for another post, but it would be useful in this context.

canadianco

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Setting up the Samsung Galaxy S7. By default the GMail app doesn't have access to Microsoft Exchange accounts, so I had to add that (search for "Exchange Services by Google" to find the installer). Though this was able to connect to my work e-mail, I was getting the "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly" error on the Calendar (I have Contacts disabled). This thread helped lead me to the issue. My solution:

Settings > Applications > Application Manager > Exchange Services > Permissions > enable Calendar (and presumable Contacts if that's what you're looking for.)

The Exchange calendar now shows up alongside my Google on within the Google Calendar app.

Thanks everyone!

Delfy Osendo

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Re: "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be back shortly."

Hey! Okay so I don't know if this would help you but this is what I had done to fix my sync issues. First off, what android are you running? Mine's a 5.1.1 (Lollipop). So first off, go to Settings>Data Usage and scroll down and look for "Google Services". Is it allowed to access the internet even when on mobile data? If not, make sure it's enabled. Tap on it and make sure it isn't on "Restrict Background Data". Once that's done, go to "Background App Management" (Mine is located under Settings>Power Manager>Background app management) and here, make sure none of your apps are restricted from running in the background. When the apps are blocked from running in the background, it doesn't sync data and that can cause errors.
If contacts sync is giving you problems, try download "Contacts Sync Fix" from the play store and fix broken contacts. If that doesn't seem to help, you probable have duplicated contacts or empty contact sets. To fix this, go to "Contacts", tap on the menu icon and look for the option "Merge Duplicated Contacts" (mine is under Contacts>Menu>More features and settings>Merge duplicated contacts ). Once the contacts have been merged, see if you can sync Google again. If you yet can't, send me a screenshot of your problem on (email address removed by Moderator) and I'll look into it and shall help you :)
Reading previous posts, i had done everything like removing my google account, clearing cache and adding it back but it didn't seem to help because I had restricted quite a many apps from running in the background.
Well, i hope this helps! :) x

mikdroiddude

Apr 8, 2016
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S5 and since upgrading to Lollipop I have had the dreaded "Sync is currently experiencing blah blah blah" message. I have spent days searching every forum there is for an answer. This post and specifically this section was the only thing that was remotely helpful:
"So first off, go to Settings>Data Usage and scroll down and look for "Google Services". Is it allowed to access the internet even when on mobile data? If not, make sure it's enabled. Tap on it and make sure it isn't on "Restrict Background Data"."

Can't thank you enough for posting this!!! I now have my email syncing again.

Jim Keefover

May 27, 2016
Visit site
Anyone else getting this message for syncing gmail account with the phone? Anyone know what it means? Gmail works but calendar and contacts sync only sporadically, and I get this message.

Yes that did happen but I just deleted all the double numbers and forgot about it, I didn't think about that being the problem. I will give what you said a try thanks

Roland4000

Jun 9, 2016
Visit site
...if you think that only your contacts sync is affected - try to switch-off power saving mode on your phone.

It may work well on a Galaxy 7 etc. This may be easier than looking for the setting that prevents loading data in background. Sync of mail works fast and is finished before power-save kills the work in the background. If you have many contacts, sync is disconnected before done and difficult to re-start when only partially done.

agrawa

Jun 11, 2016
Visit site
This post helped me resolve my problem as well. Now I am able to search for my google contacts on phone, which were earlier only showing on computer.

1. Settings -> Data Usage -> Google services -> I turned "restrict usage" on , then off.
2. Gallery -> Settings -> Sync Now

My phone still crashes on accessing google account directly from main settings though.

Galaxy S4 -> android 5.0.1