High Power Car Charger

Dunbar42

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone point me to a car charger that charges as fast as the stock wall charger? Preferably something inexpensive on ebay? The one I'm using now just barely keeps when I'm using GPS.

Dunbar42

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm using a Qmadix 1 Amp car charger I got at my local Verizon Store. I've used it with my GPS going and it actually charged it more than just keeping up with it. So I would recommend it.

What percentage does it charge while using GPS with the screen on? The one I have charges maybe 3% per hour in that situation.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I know they're out there. I have one that I had purchased for my Droid X that charges faster than navigator and bluetooth use the power as well. I have no idea what brand, if any, it is though.

Andy847

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
Ansextra, I only used it once so far with the GPS, and it went from 76% to 80%, not much, but I was driving maybe 20-25 minutes. At least I know it's not just standing still or just keeping up. I have to use it on a longer drive, which will really test it out.

Neverender326

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Ansextra, I only used it once so far with the GPS, and it went from 76% to 80%, not much, but I was driving maybe 20-25 minutes. At least I know it's not just standing still or just keeping up. I have to use it on a longer drive, which will really test it out.

Link?

JD Racer Dad

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
There are many, none of the iPhone so called universal USB chargers will work.
They us a iPhone protocol and limit the output regardless of the rating.
You need a 1 Amp charger for non-iphones.

I use the "GTMax Metalic Silver 2-Port USB Car Charger Adapter", just plug that in Amazon. Should be under $10 and comes in several colors.
One side is iPhone protocol and one side is non-iPhone.

Charges even while I have everything running, Navigator, Phone, Radio App and on a road trip for hours with screen lit the whole time.

I use the other side to charge my backup hands free. Even though its marked 2.1 Amps it will not provided that charge for an android.

The two data pins are shorted in the charger for non iPhone chargers and not for iPhones. Many generics use the iPhone protocol and say they are universal, they are not.

Use the 1.0 Amp non-iPhone side and it will work great.

Don't like that one, check the write ups. Look for one at 1.0 Amp and not for an iPhone.

Tigrak

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
There are many, none of the iPhone so called universal USB chargers will work.
They us a iPhone protocol and limit the output regardless of the rating.
You need a 1 Amp charger for non-iphones.

I use the "GTMax Metalic Silver 2-Port USB Car Charger Adapter", just plug that in Amazon. Should be under $10 and comes in several colors.
One side is iPhone protocol and one side is non-iPhone.

Charges even while I have everything running, Navigator, Phone, Radio App and on a road trip for hours with screen lit the whole time.

I use the other side to charge my backup hands free. Even though its marked 2.1 Amps it will not provided that charge for an android.

The two data pins are shorted in the charger for non iPhone chargers and not for iPhones. Many generics use the iPhone protocol and say they are universal, they are not.

Use the 1.0 Amp non-iPhone side and it will work great.

Don't like that one, check the write ups. Look for one at 1.0 Amp and not for an iPhone.

If you use a dual purpose data/charging type USB cable you may only get .5 amp charging from any device. The Android design limits the amperage throughput on data cables to the USB spec as if your phone were connected to a computer USB port. Even if the device lists 2.1 amps available the phone itself will limit the draw to only 1 amp. You need a charging only type USB cord which does not also allow for data transfer or a device that has the data terminals within it shorted/crossed to trick the phone into thinking its connected to A/C power. You can check the battery charging function on the phone and it will show 2 different possibilities, either [A/C] or [USB]. A/C is 1 amp and USB is .5 amps of charging.

stevexyz

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
This one is rated 3.1A and has "NA" (non-Apple) and "A" (Apple) ports; it charged my Galaxy S3 about 25% in 30 minutes on the NA port (and about half as fast on the A port); I recommend it especially if others in your family have iPhones/iPads:

Amazon.com: PowerGen Dual USB 3.1A 15w High Output Car Charger for Apple iPad 2, New iPad 3, iPhone 5 4s 4 3 3Gs, HTC Samsung Motorola Android Phones (USB Cable NOT included) - white: Cell Phones & Accessories

There's black version as well as the white version.