Newbie Root-er

MM1983

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
ok - so i rooted one of my many androids for the first time! everything went smooth with my s3. it was easy. i unlocked the bootloader. i did this all to get rid of the damn wifi reminder and to install google wallet....now here is my question....

Should i be installing this update that VZW pushed to my phone? i feel like i read you should NOT install updates when rooted. i'm pretty tech savvy but this root stuff does get me a little worried as i dont want to mess my phone up.

Thanks anyone/everyone! i'm sure people have asked this question before but i cant find an exact answer...

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
ok - so i rooted one of my many androids for the first time! everything went smooth with my s3. it was easy. i unlocked the bootloader. i did this all to get rid of the damn wifi reminder and to install google wallet....now here is my question....

Should i be installing this update that VZW pushed to my phone? i feel like i read you should NOT install updates when rooted. i'm pretty tech savvy but this root stuff does get me a little worried as i dont want to mess my phone up.

Thanks anyone/everyone! i'm sure people have asked this question before but i cant find an exact answer...

No. Do not do any OTA update when you are rooted/unlocked. Follow this here: http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon-galaxy-s-iii-rooting-roms-hacks/208844-how-block-latest-verizon-ota-rooted-phones-imm76d.html

MM1983

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
NEW QUESTION: ever since i rooted i get a little pop up down towards the bottom of the screen that says something like "Shell has now been granted superuser access" or something close to that. is that normal? Thanks!

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
NEW QUESTION: ever since i rooted i get a little pop up down towards the bottom of the screen that says something like "Shell has now been granted superuser access" or something close to that. is that normal? Thanks!

What have you downloaded/run since rooted? Usually that only happens when there is an app that is using root rights that has been remembered. Do me a favor... go into you super user and see what apps have been grated super user access. This will give us a better idea of what may be accessing root.