ROM install - Can't Get ROM file to a place where EZ Recovery can access it.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I have everything all set to install CleanROM

Rooted
Bootloader Unlocked
EZ Recovery installed and backup done.
Latest Samsung SG3 drivers installed

I plugged my phone via usb to my computer. I get Card and Phone.

I see my 64 gig card and I see my phone.

I noticed that for some reason EZ recovery can't mount my SD Card so I created a folder on my phone called ROMs and put the CleanRom there.

I then went into EZ recovery and did the wipes, factory reset etc... to prep the phone to install the new ROM - piece of cake.

I then went to Install in EZ recovery and I could not find my ROMs folder, in fact, none of the folders that are on my phone show up via EZ recovery, I get a whole different set of folders that I don't see on my computer via USB.

After digging around in each folder in EZ-Recovery looking for the ROM, I finally gave up. Since I wiped everything I had to restore from the back up an go through the phone setup process again...

Does anyone know how to get the ROM file to a spot on my phone where I can access it via EZ-Recovery?

Why do I see different folders on my phone via usb on computer verse what I see via EZ-Recovery (or System Explorer on my phone)?

Also, why can't EZ-Recovery mount my external card?

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I can't get my SAN Disk 64GB card to mount in recent versions of TWRP and CWM. The card is recognized fine at the OS level though. I've flashed CleanROM 5.6 and 6.0 R2 from the internal SD card root directory level without issue. May want to try that. Sorry I don't have experience with EZ-Recovery, but perhaps this will help.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I was able to get to the ROM and install it using CWM instead of TWRP.

Still what is odd when looking at phone storage through my PC, there seems to be a lower level of files and folder that I can not see. Then when looking through the phone with System Explore, I can see what is on my PC listed under the phone in a directory called sdcard. I seem to remember setting up that directory long ago for some reason.

But why would my PC think that the sdcard folder directory is the top level directory of the phone?

To get to my actual sd card in system explorer I click a folder called storage and then select the card.

I believe this is a samsung driver issue.

Anyone else have a similar issues with viewing phone folders and files on your pc?

Maybe there is a 3rd party app that allows one to explore the phone?

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
First of all, EZ Recovery is for one purpose and that is not for installing ROMs. It is for flashing custom recoveries. Also, it works just fine, but the dev has not updated it in some time, so you should download the latest version of your chosen recovery image and save it to the same storage device (internal SD by default) where EZ Recovery keeps its files.

There are some file structure differences between the latest versions of Android, so that may be what is confusing you and/or EZ Recovery. Again, go with the device where it keeps its files and you should be fine. The latest CWM and TWRP are both capable of viewing and installing from internal and external storage.

I have no problems browsing my entire filesystem using ES File Explorer, to include both the internal and external storage space.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
First of all, EZ Recovery is for one purpose and that is not for installing ROMs. It is for flashing custom recoveries. Also, it works just fine, but the dev has not updated it in some time, so you should download the latest version of your chosen recovery image and save it to the same storage device (internal SD by default) where EZ Recovery keeps its files.

There are some file structure differences between the latest versions of Android, so that may be what is confusing you and/or EZ Recovery. Again, go with the device where it keeps its files and you should be fine. The latest CWM and TWRP are both capable of viewing and installing from internal and external storage.

I have no problems browsing my entire filesystem using ES File Explorer, to include both the internal and external storage space.

Good tips and information. :) With CWM 6.0.1.2 attempts to mount the external card return "Error mounting /external_sd!" I've tried CM10 and recent Carbon ROM. Both return "failed SD card" type messages. Reformatting the card does not help. Moving to a TouchWiz based ROM renders the card usable again. May be this card or a driver issue or both?

Last edited:

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site

Yeah, I figured out I can get to roms on my sd card with CWM.

My main question now is why what I see via my PC as far as files and folder is much different the what I see on my phone. Whether I look at folders and files with TWRP, CWM, or System Explore -- there are folders I can see and get to on my phone that I simply can't see when connected to my PC. Is this common to everyone or is it just me?

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I figured out I can get to roms on my sd card with CWM.

My main question now is why what I see via my PC as far as files and folder is much different the what I see on my phone. Whether I look at folders and files with TWRP, CWM, or System Explore -- there are folders I can see and get to on my phone that I simply can't see when connected to my PC. Is this common to everyone or is it just me?

No, it isn't just you. I can see all the system files with ES File Explorer on my phone on the native "sdcard", plus my "home" directory. All I can see from my PC on the native sdcard is my "home" directory. However, I can see everything on my "extSDcard" (32GB SD card I put in the phone) on my PC and also using ES File Explorer. And if I turn on "Root Explorer" in ES FIle Explorer, then I can see even more on the native sdcard, and I can also mount /system read-write, so I can change things there if I need to.

I can put stuff to flash at the top level of extSDcard using my PC, and easily flash them with TWRP. This works very well for me...that's how I installed CleanRom 6 r2, modem.zip, and rpm.zip. Working very well, by the way *smile*.

Odd that the views of storage on my phone are different from the phone and PC, but I've gotten used to it at this point.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
No, it isn't just you. I can see all the system files with ES File Explorer on my phone on the native "sdcard", plus my "home" directory. All I can see from my PC on the native sdcard is my "home" directory. However, I can see everything on my "extSDcard" (32GB SD card I put in the phone) on my PC and also using ES File Explorer. And if I turn on "Root Explorer" in ES FIle Explorer, then I can see even more on the native sdcard, and I can also mount /system read-write, so I can change things there if I need to.

I can put stuff to flash at the top level of extSDcard using my PC, and easily flash them with TWRP. This works very well for me...that's how I installed CleanRom 6 r2, modem.zip, and rpm.zip. Working very well, by the way *smile*.

Odd that the views of storage on my phone are different from the phone and PC, but I've gotten used to it at this point.

Ok, glad to know it is not just me. I would have put the ROM on my external card to install with TWRP, however it seems TWRP has often has problems seeing 64 gig card.

While not as slick as TWRP, CWM can see my external card so problem solved.

BTW: The ROM in installed is also, CleanRom 6 r2. Can you tell me why you installed modem.zip and rpm.zip ? Is this something I should do?

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Ok, glad to know it is not just me. I would have put the ROM on my external card to install with TWRP, however it seems TWRP has often has problems seeing 64 gig card.

While not as slick as TWRP, CWM can see my external card so problem solved.

BTW: The ROM in installed is also, CleanRom 6 r2. Can you tell me why you installed modem.zip and rpm.zip ? Is this something I should do?

Installing the modem.zip updates the radios, and rpm.zip update seems to be needed as well. You can read about it in this thread:

[ROM][3/7/13] - CleanROM 6 R2 -★| Excellence Redefined! | 4.1.2 | VRBMB1 | Aroma |★- - xda-developers

The second posting in the above thread mentions (and provides links for) these "recommended" add-ons. I've found that it's best to follow these recommendations, avoids future pain. For example, when I first rooted my phone, I didn't unlock the bootloader, contrary to recommendations *smile*. So when the 4.1.2 OTA came along, I took it after using a rootsaver thinking that it would just install and then I could recover my root stuff, and got the dreaded yellow triangle message "Software not authorized by Verizon found on your phone, run to the nearest Verizon store and turn yourself in" *smile*. Took me a while to work through that, so now I keep the bootloader unlocked as long as I'm rooted (even though it doesn't matter on a day-to-day basis, if you forget when it's update time, you're screwed).

Live and learn. You may not need the modem.zip and rpm.zip if you took the 4.1.2 OTA, but better safe than sorry. Just do it, as they say *smile*.

Trees

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Check that you are running the latest version of CWM, if that is your chosen recovery. Latest version is v6.0.2.9, so v6.0.1.2 may have a bug or two regarding JB that has since been worked out.

You might like to bookmark this:
ClockworkMod ROM Manager - Recoveries

Thanks. I flashed to 6.0.2.8 via ROM Manager. This is the version that ROM Manager downloaded. Same issue with "Error mounting..." Not a critical concern for me. Now that SAN Disk has apparently acknowledged problems with some of their cards, I wonder if the mount failure is tied to the card vs. TWRP or CWM Recoveries.