Verizon S3 to Straight Talk

Mikea113n

May 20, 2014
Visit site
Right now I am on the more everything that is 2 lines with 6GB data and unlimited talk and text. My average bill was about 175. The access charges alone for the 2 phones is 40/each, then add the data and text plan to it, it shoots it to almost 200. The family plan from ATT appears to be everything my Verizon plan is, except 4GB more data, and about 50 bucks less.

Mikea113n

May 20, 2014
Visit site
yeah... just went through everything on the ATT site except for buying. The savings comes from the family share discount of $25 per phone per month. the 6GB and 10GB plans basically cost the same so I would go with the 10 just to be safe.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Verizon is the same... If you go edge or byod. $130 for 2 lines with 10gb. If you bought your phones before 11/13/13,then you can move to edge now as well.

If you go subsidized, the att plan would go up $25 per line.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

SerenityS

May 16, 2014
Visit site
So glad this thread is still happening!

It's currently May 2014. I have a Samsung Galaxy s3 4g, running Android 4.3, and network mode shows Global. The APN is Verizon lte and numbers. There is a micro SD slot with the 16gb card and a red/white sim card in the back. I don't know what jelly bean is or whether or not I have it, and the technical stuff beyond the above, I haven't a clue! I got the phone in July or August 2013. It's gone through a couple of automatic updates, including one this last week or so but I wasn't sure what updated.

Do I need to unlock this phone or is it already unlocked for a simple switch over without nonsense?

Do I need to root it and if so why, and how (or link me to the instructions for my case please!)

Is it a simple matter of buying the Straight Talk activation kit and picking the AT&T card and switching them out, following the instructions from earlier in this thread - and which option for carrier would I need to select for stbyop? (Note, I tested it earlier and "other" said it wouldn't work, so tried at&t and it said it would.

OR
Is it a simple matter of buying a 7 dollar sim card at WalMart, switching them out and if so, what specific sim card would it be and what service? Straight Talk still?

I do not show an MEID number or whatever. I have an IME forget offhand but it's not the M one)

Will all my normal features including 4g still work? (ie. did anyone figure out/resolve the picture messages and voice mail issue?)

Any Android or Samsung updates - would I still get those through Straight Talk's service?

What is the case with my current phone number? Will I receive a new/different one? For the record, it's not a huge issue if the number changes since I'm moving to another area code and would change it later anyway but I don't know where to go for the number or how it comes about.

Thanks!

Have I done something by asking and waiting and asking again that has made everyone who visits this forum unwilling to answer? Someone comes in after, quotes mine and gets answered instead?

Is there an initiation here I missed?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So glad this thread is still happening!

Love the forum but didn't register until now. Don't hold it against me. Least I search! ;)

I've got the same question - but also to get a definitive answer since there seem to be different ones depending on the situation so now I'm just confused. I have read the entire thread, read other threads, other articles, other you tube channels and finally figured maybe if I register and ask I'll get lucky and get the correct answer for my case!

It's currently May 2014. I have a Samsung Galaxy s3 4g, running Android 4.3, and network mode shows Global. The APN is Verizon lte and numbers. There is a micro SD slot with the 16gb card and a red/white sim card in the back. I don't know what jelly bean is or whether or not I have it, and the technical stuff beyond the above, I haven't a clue! I got the phone in July or August 2013. It's gone through a couple of automatic updates, including one this last week or so but I wasn't sure what updated.

I have a couple months left on a Verizon contract - however, it's not my contract. I got on someone else's plan in order to take advantage of a fab deal to get the SGs3 for 25 bucks. Phone's paid for and mine. We agreed they will pay off the remaining contract terms if it remains applicable but I am moving mid summer and want to go back to Straight Talk. I had a Samsung something else through them initially but really wanted the SG.

If I go ahead and make the switch now, the bill would still be paid but the phone is off contract.

Do I need to unlock this phone or is it already unlocked for a simple switch over without nonsense?
Do I need to root it and if so why, and how (or link me to the instructions for my case please!)
Is it a simple matter of buying the Straight Talk activation kit and picking the AT&T card and switching them out, following the instructions from earlier in this thread - and which option for carrier would I need to select for stbyop? (Note, I tested it earlier and "other" said it wouldn't work, so tried at&t and it said it would. OR
Is it a simple matter of buying a 7 dollar sim card at WalMart, switching them out and if so, what specific sim card would it be and what service? Straight Talk still?
I do not show an MEID number or whatever. I have an IME forget offhand but it's not the M one)
Will all my normal features including 4g still work? (ie. did anyone figure out/resolve the picture messages and voice mail issue?)
Any Android or Samsung updates - would I still get those through Straight Talk's service?

What is the case with my current phone number? Will I receive a new/different one? For the record, it's not a huge issue if the number changes since I'm moving to another area code and would change it later anyway but I don't know where to go for the number or how it comes about.

Thanks!

With the latest update, the phone is sim unlocked. After putting in the StraightTalk sim, you would have to enter in the apn. You would not get 4glte, and probably not 3g or 4g either. Walmart has a plan too, family mobile or something like that. You can use it if desired too.

I think that you can still get an update by plugging in the phone to the computer and running the update utility. Otherwise, you can put in a Verizon sim.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Mai Shoua Lee

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I followed all the steps and was able to call out but I am unable to add the New APN for straight talk. I pressed the button on the left of the menu button and it only allowed me to reset to default.. Help please.

Christina Wolfe

May 30, 2014
Visit site
@Stephenblake... thank you so so much!!!! Your step by step instructions were so easy to follow and I was able to bring my Verizon s3 to straight talk. I didn't have to buy a new phone and I wanted to say thank you thank you thank you...... you are awesome. Did I say thank you? lol

Crystal Sickbert

Jun 2, 2014
Visit site
I have a galaxy 3 phone made by straight talk on the verizon towers. Does anyone know if i can put a byop straight talk sim in my phone so it will run off a different tower such as at&t?

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

mikeyslc

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
Also, dont seem to have any signal bars, its just a crossed out symbol. Also now getting the message "Selected network (AT&T) not available.

Last edited:

Keisha Wallace

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
I cannot say THANK YOU enough for this post. I purchased an SIII from a friend and I was praying it would work with my ST service. I couldn't get it to work following your directions, HOWEVER, I'm certain it was operator error. I called ST and told them my Verizon phone was an AT&T...I can't believe they take our word for it. But now it works great. I get pic messages too. So far there isn't anything that doesn't work! Thanks!

krisgalaxys3

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Hello, Im switching a Verizon s3 to straight talk, but I already have ST so I would like to keep my number so im wondering if I port my number after I follow your instructions on the switch over or when do I do that within the process?
Thanks so much!

krisgalaxys3

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Did you keep your st number and if so how long did it take to switch over? They told me it could be up to 24 hrs :-( Its working now!

Last edited:

krisgalaxys3

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Please Help!! So I switched my Verizon galaxy s3 using the att sim. ive got the correct apn settings. Everything is working: text, phone data, and mms. The problem im having is that I cant access the google play store. it just says no connection, retry. (I have fast wi fi so I know that's not the issue) ive deleted my google account and re installed it, tried a completely new account, nothing is working. Its also saying that its having problems syncing. Does any one have any idea what the issue is or how to fix it? Thanks :)

cmosley8812

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
@StephanBlake would I be able to keep my ST number or would have to get another number? I really don't want to have to get a new number but I really need this new phone lol if u can help thank u so much

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa