How does rooting help battery life?

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I searched but couldn't find the answer.

I'm stock right now but want to give rooting a try (I've never done it before). If I root but don't want to install a custom ROM what changes do I need to make to increase battery life or do I need a custom ROM to help battery life?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Rooting in and of itself won't do anything to affect battery life.

Some custom ROMs will claim to achieve better battery life by removing some unnecessary components and such (the validity of those claims can usually be gleaned from the posts in the ROM thread). The other big thing that can affect battery life, however, is the kernel -- which can control processor speeds and voltage. Sometimes custom kernels are built into ROMs, or they can be installed separately.

jlibis

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
If you want stock android and want decent battery life I recommend flashing lean kernel I get great battery life with it. However, I don't think any battery life so far is as good as stock.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

jecilop

May 18, 2010
Visit site
If you don't do any of the other ROM's, what it will allow you do to is remove or freeze some of the bloat applications on the phone that you don't use which take up RAM running in the background and thus in totality use the battery.
That is the only battery advantage. I may not be significant.
However, stopping the bloatware....way cool!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress