Confused with status of rooting

rocketz89

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I am confused with the status of my Galaxy S3 root. A few months ago I rooted the phone using Odin 3, however I did not install a custon ROM, just the stock. I just wanted the device to be rooted. I kept receiving prompts to do an over the air verizon update. I kept postponing them until a few weeks ago it automatically started. Now I don't know what to do.

I want my phone to be back to an unrooted state so that I can send it to Samsung for repairs.

Super user is saying my phone does not have a binary or something. I have no clue what is going on.

I attempted to root the device again using the method I used the first time and that did not work.

Please help:-\

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I am confused with the status of my Galaxy S3 root. A few months ago I rooted the phone using Odin 3, however I did not install a custon ROM, just the stock. I just wanted the device to be rooted. I kept receiving prompts to do an over the air verizon update. I kept postponing them until a few weeks ago it automatically started. Now I don't know what to do.

I want my phone to be back to an unrooted state so that I can send it to Samsung for repairs.

Super user is saying my phone does not have a binary or something. I have no clue what is going on.

I attempted to root the device again using the method I used the first time and that did not work.

Please help:-\

Welcome to the forums!
Even though this isn't your fault, but OTA updates can break root. There are ways to disable it, but for the life of me I can't remember how.

MrDoh

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
You could have used a "rootkeeper" app to be able to take an OTA and regain root afterwards, but it's too late for that.

borgey401

Mar 24, 2010
Visit site
You can send your device in. Its no longer rooted but since you used Odin Samsung can tell that you once had it rooted. There's a flash counter that counts every time you've flashed something using Odin.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 4

iHackPro

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Well if you still have Super User, you are rooted. What you need to do before sending it to Samsung, download Triangle Away from the Play Store. After you've reset your flash counter, download your stock firmware from here. http://samsung-updates.com

Flash the tar.md5 file I believe it is in Odin. Click the PDA button and locate the file. Flash it, and when it's done, boot into recovery and wipe data/ factory reset. You're now on stock ROM, and a device valid for warranty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4