Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Airlid's Avatar

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

    Default 4.3 ota update

    I would like to take the update but I have rooted and unlocked the boot loader. What steps do I need to take.
    I'm ok with it if I lose root, I'm sure I can get that back at some later date. I am new to this and not real smart so thank you for your patience and help.

    Sent from my rooted, debloated Samsung Galaxy III
  2. #2  

    Default Re: 4.3 ota update

    I would say relock phone and odin back to the previous stock tar then take the update through phone

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    Airlid's Avatar

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

    Default Re: 4.3 ota update

    Quote Originally Posted by carycooke View Post
    I would say relock phone and odin back to the previous stock tar then take the update through phone

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    I didn't use Odin I used casual...

    Sent from my rooted, debloated Samsung Galaxy III
  4. #4  

    Default Re: 4.3 ota update

    So you took the plunge ?

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Airlid's Avatar

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

    Default Re: 4.3 ota update

    Quote Originally Posted by carycooke View Post
    So you took the plunge ?

    Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    I ment that I used casual to root, I have not figured out how to unroot. I tried to install the update and the phone goes into clockwork recovery.

    Sent from my rooted, debloated Samsung Galaxy III
  6. #6  
    curley's Avatar

    Posts
    466 Posts
    Global Posts
    467 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP Devil 40.1

    Default Re: 4.3 ota update

    Right now, there is no way back. Every attempt has lead to a hard brick.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    I know enough to get into trouble, but not enough to get myself out of that trouble.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: 4.3 ota update

    Ug! I just did the OTA update and I had Root Keeper installed. I didn't find out till afterward that root keeper doesn't work with 4.3.
    Is this the forum to watch if someone finds a way to re-root a 4.3 i535?
  8. #8  

    Default Re: 4.3 ota update

    Quote Originally Posted by Airlid View Post
    I have not figured out how to unroot
    As carycooke noted, you'll have to use Odin to reload the stock firmware (Kies might allow you to do it as well if you want to try that) - the instructions to un-root can be found in [GUIDE] Restore Back to Clean Factory Stock UPDATE 10/23

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
  9. #9  

    Default Re: 4.3 ota update

    Quote Originally Posted by curley View Post
    Right now, there is no way back. Every attempt has lead to a hard brick.
    Are you saying this because someone has tried this on the Verizon build, or because people that tried it with the other carriers OTAs were unsuccessful?

    Has it been confirmed that Verizon included the Knox bootloader (which is the reason for all of the trouble)? Should be simple enough to verify if we can get someone that has updated to boot into Download mode and see if the 'warranty' counter is shown.

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    Airlid's Avatar

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

    Default Re: 4.3 ota update

    I took the update and everything seems to be working BUT, on the boot screen I get Samsung custom, software update says the last update failed and device status says "custom" yet as I ment to say, I'm am now running 4.3 with no apparent problems.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
  11. #11  

    Default Re: 4.3 ota update

    Quote Originally Posted by Airlid View Post
    I took the update and everything seems to be working
    Interesting - I have never had an OTA that ran to completion when my phone was rooted AND had an alternate Recovery (CWM, TWRP) loaded.

    Have you run a root checker to see if your phone is still rooted?

    Have you tried booting into Recovery mode to see if you still have your custom Recovery?

    Can you boot into Download (Odin) mode and list each item as it's shown? For reference, the 4.1.2 (MF1) values were:
    ODIN MODE
    PRODUCT NAME: SCH-I535
    CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
    CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
    SYSTEM STATUS: Official
    QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE

    Edit: I'm specifically looking for any additions to the list (ex: Warranty: 1)

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    Last edited by GSDer; 12-19-2013 at 02:07 PM.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  
    Airlid's Avatar

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

    Default Re: 4.3 ota update

    Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    Interesting - I have never had an OTA that ran to completion when my phone was rooted AND had an alternate Recovery (CWM, TWRP) loaded.

    Have you run a root checker to see if your phone is still rooted?

    Have you tried booting into Recovery mode to see if you still have your custom Recovery?

    Can you boot into Download (Odin) mode and list each item as it's shown? For reference, the 4.1.2 (MF1) values were:
    ODIN MODE
    PRODUCT NAME: SCH-I535
    CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: No
    CURRENT BINARY: Samsung Official
    SYSTEM STATUS: Official
    QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE

    Edit: I'm specifically looking for any additions to the list (ex: Warranty: 1)

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    I have lost all root access, I know of no way to boot into recovery, I don't know what Odin mode is. I did not use Odin. I used casual with clockwork mod recovery.

    It looks like now clockwork mod has been taken off of the market.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
  13. #13  

    Default Re: 4.3 ota update

    Quote Originally Posted by Airlid View Post
    I have lost all root access
    Thanks for the clarification
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlid View Post
    I know of no way to boot into recovery, I don't know what Odin mode is.
    To boot into Recovery mode, turn the phone completely off. Then press-and-hold the Volume Up + Home + Power buttons simultaneously, and release them all when you see the swirling color graphics (not the two static Samsung logo screens).

    To boot into Download (Odin) mode just use the Volume Down key rather than the Volume Up key in the sequence above, and release them all when you see the Custom OS screen. (Note: to exit from Download mode, just press-and-hold the Power button until the phone shuts down)
    Quote Originally Posted by Airlid View Post
    It looks like now clockwork mod has been taken off of the market.
    Strange. ROM Manager: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...anager.license is still there. Well, I'm sure you can still get it from his website.

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    LifeViaBB likes this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    Airlid's Avatar

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

    Default Re: 4.3 ota update

    I did something really stupid, I decided to do a factory reset and ended up with the "yellow triangle of death".
    I then followed your instructions to get into download mode and this is what I found:

    ODIN MODE
    PRODUCT NAME: SCH-I535
    CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: Yes (1 counts)
    CURRENT BINARY: Custom
    SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
    QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE
    Warranty Bit: 1
    BOOTLOADER AP SWREV: 1

    So now...

    UPDATE:

    I powered off the phone and then re-started download mode except this time I selected cancel when it asked me if I wanted to download a custom rom AND THE PHONE BOOTED NORMALLY .
    I don't know if I'm really lucky or what but I am very relieved and I think that I will leave well enough alone ( for a while anyway).
    Last edited by Airlid; 12-20-2013 at 01:54 AM.
    Thanked by:
    GSDer 
  15. #15  

    Default Re: 4.3 ota update

    Actually, doing a Factory Reset is generally a good idea following a major update. It's too bad you got the Triangle, but good that you were able to recover.

    Thanks for the detailed information from Download mode.

    Did you perform the Factory Reset from Recovery?

    You should wipe the system cache and Dalvik cache from within Recovery when you can.

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    Thanked by:
    Airlid 
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  
    Airlid's Avatar

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

    Default Re: 4.3 ota update

    I thought that I was stuck in a limbo and could not do a factory reset. That is how the triangle screen came up. Is there a past to still do a reset? How do I go about clearing the caches? Details will be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
  17. #17  

    Default Re: 4.3 ota update

    Can someone give a link so I can manually install the 4.3 update

    Posted via Android Central App
  18. #18  

    Default Re: 4.3 ota update

    Quote Originally Posted by Airlid View Post
    I did something really stupid, I decided to do a factory reset and ended up with the "yellow triangle of death".
    I then followed your instructions to get into download mode and this is what I found:

    ODIN MODE
    PRODUCT NAME: SCH-I535
    CUSTOM BINARY DOWNLOAD: Yes (1 counts)
    CURRENT BINARY: Custom
    SYSTEM STATUS: Custom
    QUALCOMM SECUREBOOT: ENABLE
    Warranty Bit: 1
    BOOTLOADER AP SWREV: 1

    So now...

    UPDATE:

    I powered off the phone and then re-started download mode except this time I selected cancel when it asked me if I wanted to download a custom rom AND THE PHONE BOOTED NORMALLY .
    I don't know if I'm really lucky or what but I am very relieved and I think that I will leave well enough alone ( for a while anyway).
    So let me see if I understand. You were rooted and took the update but ultimately lost root. And now your download mode screen indicates that the phone has been rooted/modified?
    Please let me know if I missed something. This is pretty interesting

    Posted via Android Central App
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  
    Airlid's Avatar

    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts

    Default Re: 4.3 ota update

    Quote Originally Posted by Markctco View Post
    So let me see if I understand. You were rooted and took the update but ultimately lost root. And now your download mode screen indicates that the phone has been rooted/modified?
    Please let me know if I missed something. This is pretty interesting

    Posted via Android Central App
    You are correct, when I reboot, the Samsung boot screen says Custom and shows an unlocked padlock. When I tried to do a factory reset, I got the Verizon yellow triangle of death "your phone was found with unauthorized software." I'm glad that it's working but disjointed that I lost root.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
  20. #20  

    Default Re: 4.3 ota update

    Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    Actually, doing a Factory Reset is generally a good idea following a major update. It's too bad you got the Triangle, but good that you were able to recover.

    Thanks for the detailed information from Download mode.

    Did you perform the Factory Reset from Recovery?

    You should wipe the system cache and Dalvik cache from within Recovery when you can.

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    How is it a good idea to do a factory reset after OTA? If you are not rooted, and therefore backed up with Titanium or the like, setting the phone back it will take forever.

    Posted via Android Central App
    the panda has spoken
  21. #21  

    Default Re: 4.3 ota update

    Quote Originally Posted by dadathepanda View Post
    If you are not rooted, and therefore backed up with Titanium or the like, setting the phone back it will take forever.
    Helium: http://market.android.com/details?id...ikdutta.backup = Titanium for non-rooters

    Cloud Drive: http://market.android.com/details?id...uddrive.photos
    Drive Photo Uploader: http://market.android.com/details?id...drivephotosync
    Dropsync: http://market.android.com/details?id...xapps.dropsync
    are all methods to backup your pictures/videos to the cloud.

    Kies software = method to backup your SMS/MMS (only way to handle MMS that I've found), pictures/videos, call logs and TouchWiz settings (most of them anyway).

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
  22. #22  

    Default Re: 4.3 ota update

    Quote Originally Posted by dknight1996 View Post
    Can someone give a link so I can manually install the 4.3 update
    I can't find this mysterious update file. I haven't INSTALLED the OTA, but I've downloaded it and deferred it and can't find any trace of it.

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
  23. #23  
    curley's Avatar

    Posts
    466 Posts
    Global Posts
    467 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOKP Devil 40.1

    Default Re: 4.3 ota update

    Quote Originally Posted by GSDer View Post
    I can't find this mysterious update file. I haven't INSTALLED the OTA, but I've downloaded it and deferred it and can't find any trace of it.

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM 10.2 using Tapatalk 4
    You haven't found because no one has hacked it yet.

    The update came with Knox and a locked boot loader. Other Samsung phone with Knox have berm able to root but with a locked boot loader. Every attempt developers have made on the d2vzw has caused a hard brick. Nonrecoverable.

    Keep an eye on xda as donations have been given to beanstown to get another d2vzw an attempt to release a rom with out Knox.

    Vzw and Samsung locked this one down and from what I saw, they did not release the firmware to anyone yet.

    However, you can flash the update modem/radio without any issues.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using AC Forums mobile app
    I know enough to get into trouble, but not enough to get myself out of that trouble.
  24. #24  

    Default Re: 4.3 ota update

    curley,
    Thanks for your response. However, I wasn't looking for an XDA version of the update - I was looking for the actual update.zip file that makes up the OTA. The person I was responding to wanted the file so that he could manually update a phone that currently isn't activated.

    Anyway, I couldn't find the file because it's placed in the /cache directory, and I couldn't see it. Rooted the phone; found the file; made a copy; sent it off; reloaded stock unrooted (just because). Problem solved.

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro
  25. #25  

    Default Re: 4.3 ota update

    eibbed0001,
    Please don't double post - it just leads to extra work. I already replied to your original post in the other thread.

    Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. WHAT'S THIS: SamsungApps (Updates are available for 2 apps)
    By trd 4rnr in forum Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-23-2014, 03:11 PM
  2. "Warning Camera Failed" notification after update last night
    By blue lion in forum Verizon Samsung Galaxy S4
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-24-2013, 12:19 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-21-2013, 11:34 AM
  4. Massive problems with 4.3 update (urgent help needed)
    By mjbickford in forum Samsung Galaxy S3
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-20-2013, 09:02 PM
  5. Update all apps except one
    By johnnybiggles in forum Sprint Galaxy S3
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-18-2013, 10:02 PM

Posting Permissions