Constant Redraws & Flickering

nedqadams

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I've been getting constant redraws when returning to the home screen as well as flickering though out the OS.
I can't imaging the only one seeing this or that I'm even close to the heaviest of users.
Not a ton of widgets or doing anything odd.
Anyone else have this problem?

voiceonly

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Not so much constant redraws, but it's slow to redraw the home screen when I click the physical button from another screen.

I'm using ADW for the launcer screens, on RazrMaxx with ICS.

Mar 20, 2012
Visit site
One of my customers is having the flickering issue as well. It's very subtle unless someone points it out to you. I've noticed that it occurs when interacting with the screen. Her phone is completely stock ICS

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Yeah. I'm in the same boat. When I press the home button my screens have to redraw. Sometimes the keyboard remains on the screen for a couple seconds, too. Then I've also had an issue where the dock icons disappear when I press the home button and the phone locks up for 30 seconds. And I'm having the same flicker issue. It happens in gmail, texting, and actually just happened while I was typing this reply on TapaTalk.
I want to love this phone, I really do. But when I've paid $650 for what's supposed to be the greatest android phone on the market, these little quirks annoy the hell out of me and make me question my purchase.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
There are a few threads that discuss lag associated with the home button and screen redraw - for the home button issue, try disabling S Voice; for redraw issues turn off the two items in Developer Options that refer to animation.
48c98363-1aa5-895c.jpg

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

montanaxvi

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I have the flicker but usually only notice it when typing in the text box. No redraw issues on mine and I'm stock unrooted.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
There are a few threads that discuss lag associated with the home button and screen redraw - for the home button issue, try disabling S Voice; for redraw issues turn off the two items in Developer Options that refer to animation.

Already have S Voice turned off there and my animation is set to zero. I've tried everything, it seems. Don't have a bunch of stuff running, and still get a fair amount of lag and redraws. It's not any less laggy than my Razr was.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
With all the ram and fast processor we should be able to run all these things without any problem. I don't get it?

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm also using SwiftKey, but I'm stock on everything else. No launchers of anything. Very little power hungry widgets.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

dyastrab

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
You might get rid of the problem if you uninstall it. There have been many posts about a possible connection between screen flicker and Swiftkey.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
You might get rid of the problem if you uninstall it. There have been many posts about a possible connection between screen flicker and Swiftkey.

Hmmm hadn't seen anything about that, but I may have to give it a shot. It's been installed pretty much since I fired up the S3, so I've never really used this phone without that installed.

dj hidroid

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Every time I decide to fork up $650 for this phone I read something like this that scares me off.

Every phone that is launched has some issues and bugs. Some more then others but I wouldn't worry about any bugs if you are about to pony up and pay full retail. If you don't want to pay full retail try ebay or swappa.com

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site

Been looking for a solution to this problem for a few days now... This is the only thing that worked! Thanks!!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
^You're welcome

For all the others experiencing redraws/lag - I don't know what to say. I haven't come across any posts about SwiftKey, so I don't know what to say about that - I run SwiftKey without any problems. I'm running the stock ROM (rooted/locked), with ~190 apps from the Google Play Store and another ~60 from the Amazon Appstore loaded and I don't notice any screen redraw issues. Running Nova Launcher Prime if that makes any difference.

I can only suggest factory reset; don't load any apps; then see how the performance is. Once you have a baseline for behaviour, start loading apps in small increments until you identify the culprit.

Either that, or we need to come to a common understanding of screen redraws/lag - perhaps what you consider lag I have already gotten used to as expected behaviour. :banghead: Too bad no one has a video of their screen displaying this lag issue.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch