Anyone Have a GS3 & a Tbolt?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
If so could you take both out on a sunny day and see which is easier to read and take pics? If not a tbolt a rezound would also be a great comparison.

Thanks!

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Both at max they're about equal. Slight edge to the S3. Both suck IMO here in sunny AZ.

Did you just do the test or operating from memory or opinion? The reason I ask is because on max in store the tbolt looked much whiter and brighter on the white google page....but that was indoors. The "white" from the gs3 is much warmer.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I tested. It was about 5pm here. I also have screen protectors on both and the bolts is a few months older.
Maybe the bolt's screen tech washes out easier. Kinda like how some tvs are more susceptible to glare. My phone are both respective release days.

And yes, I whites look better on the Bolt. Stupid Samsung and their crappy OLEDs

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

nasmith7

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I still have the TBolt. I'm having a serious issue with some pictures that I took on the TBolt looking better than the S3 (viewed pics from both phones on the the other phone's screen). Can't wait til someone comes up with a fix for the bs screen dimming, especially within the browser, that plagues the S3

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I still have the TBolt. I'm having a serious issue with some pictures that I took on the TBolt looking better than the S3 (viewed pics from both phones on the the other phone's screen). Can't wait til someone comes up with a fix for the bs screen dimming, especially within the browser, that plagues the S3

The screen dims even if brightness is set manually?

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
There's a separate brightness control inside the stock browser that most people don't notice.

No for my very unscientific study. As Forgetful said, neither are anything to write home about. Both are visible in direct sunlight at full brightness with the edge going to the SIII. Anything less than that on the Thunderbolt was pretty much unreadable with the SIII being slightly viewable even at the lowest levels. Samsung still can't seem to get autobrightness correct so the Thunderbolt wins that one. Below are the pictures of the Bolt and GSIII respectively. Sidenote: damn these things love finger prints.

20120719_123100.jpg

IMG_20120719_123031.jpg

Reactions: recDNA

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
There's a separate brightness control inside the stock browser that most people don't notice.

No for my very unscientific study. As Forgetful said, neither are anything to write home about. Both are visible in direct sunlight at full brightness with the edge going to the SIII. Anything less than that on the Thunderbolt was pretty much unreadable with the SIII being slightly viewable even at the lowest levels. Samsung still can't seem to get autobrightness correct so the Thunderbolt wins that one. Below are the pictures of the Bolt and GSIII respectively. Sidenote: damn these things love finger prints.

Click to view quoted image

Click to view quoted image

The gs3 pic came out way smaller than tbolt. What would be cool is a pic of the tbolt next to the gs3 both in sun on max brightness...maybe with keyboard and text on screen of each and another with the same photo on the screen of each.

Demanding? Ya, sorry. I really appreciate you guys going to so much trouble to help me. $600 for the GS3 is a big investment for me so the help is really appreciated. Every phone has its weaknesses so it is so hard to choose.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Probably should've noted that I took a picture of each phone with the other phone. lol. Don't have another camera here with me so hopefully someone else can get that.

tperry

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
The gs3 pic came out way smaller than tbolt. What would be cool is a pic of the tbolt next to the gs3 both in sun on max brightness...maybe with keyboard and text on screen of each and another with the same photo on the screen of each.

Demanding? Ya, sorry. I really appreciate you guys going to so much trouble to help me. $600 for the GS3 is a big investment for me so the help is really appreciated. Every phone has its weaknesses so it is so hard to choose.

If the wife gets in from work and the sun is still up I'll get one posted today.

Kronko

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I am getting my s3 tomorrow. The s3 screen looked a lot better than my thunderbolt when I went like four times to the store and put them side by side. This weekend I will check it in sun light. Thunderbolt has been horrible for me, cannot see anything outdoors.

tperry

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site

Sun was going down so the outside light wasn't real bright, but this will give you an idea.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks so much for taking so much effort. I REALLY appreciate it. Your picture allays my concerns about screen brightness. The CNET review didn't do justice to the GS3.

It's amazing what a great community we have here.

tperry

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks so much for taking so much effort. I REALLY appreciate it. Your picture allays my concerns about screen brightness. The CNET review didn't do justice to the GS3.

It's amazing what a great community we have here.

No problem. The photo doesn't do it justice. A MAXX was used to take it and its camera is just OK.

R3asonableDoubt

May 17, 2011
Visit site

Sorry to get off topic here but to fix the dimming issue within the browser open up the browser, click on the "Menu" button, scroll down to "Brightness & Colors", and un-check "Auto brightness".