Galaxy S3 Help
First, I want to apologize if this is in the wrong place. I am a new member, but I listen to the podcast every week. I came here because I really need some help because I will be upgrading on Friday. My choices are down to the Droid Incredible 4G LTE and The Galaxy S3.
There are things I like about both. I like the overall design on the 4G with the soft touch style plastic over the glossy plastic S3. I LLOOOOVEE HTC Sense over Touchwiz. In fact, the little amount I used, I hate TW. I like the fact that it has overall beats audio that works with pandora, movies, etc. Audio quality is a big factor for me, even if the storage size is smaller. I LOVE the size of the screen on the galaxy s3 more than the 4 inches because I watch movies, and browse the net a lot. However, when I used it in store, it was REALLY dim. I had it on full brightness, and it looked like the lowest brightness on other devices. That seems like it would hamper the experience.
This takes me back to my first smartphone purchase, which is why I am looking for advice from android users. I had to choose between the Droid X and the DINC. At the time, I liked Sense better than whatever Motorola called their UI, but the screen size got me. After using the Droid X, and recently using an original DINC, despite the size difference, I have to say, the overall quality of the DINC is significantly better. The viewing angles are better, it's more vivid and just looks better. I am a big media hog, and viewing movies looks wayyy better than on the X.
I know that the X is not the same as the GS3, but for me, it feels like a similar quandary. The GS3 has the bigger screen, but it seems dim and it is pentile, as opposed to the DINC4G which is super LCD. I really just need some advice.
Specifically, how is the screen? Does it look pixelated because of the pentile? Is it bright enough? Hows the viewing angles? Is the screen really as dim as it appeared to be when I tried it in the VZW store? Do movies look great? Has anyone used this and the DINC4G? Which is better for media?
And how is TW? Does it suck? Also, if you have pictures that you took of the phone, could you post them? I apologize for all these questions, but a new phone is a big purchase and I want to make sure I make the correct choice. Thanks y'all so much and God Bless!
- 08-01-2012, 11:54 AM #2
- 119 Posts
Re: Galaxy S3 Help
My main comment would be the screen- to be honest it is exremely difficult to view much of anything outside in the sunlight, even at 100% brightness. Step into the shade and you can at least see it, but it's still not great. However, inside, even in a brightly (but artificially) lit room, it's beautiful. To me that outweighs the difficulty in seeing it outside. I mean, you can see it enough to make a phone call or something, but that's about it. If I had to choose all over again I would still choose the S3.
I wouldn't worry too much about TW, you can always get a custom launcher anyways. I never disliked Motoblur enough on my DX to use a custom launcher, and I don't hate TW, but I am getting ready to try Nova or Apex soon.
- 08-01-2012, 12:07 PM #3
Re: Galaxy S3 Help
I have both of these phones in my household and I prefer the S3 over the DINC4G.
Screen angles on both phones are good, and the S3 is plenty bright. The screen does not appear pixelated nor have I ever noticed the pentile matrix.
As far as sound quality I have Beats installed on the S3. If I wasn't using that I'd use Equalizer by Smart Android Apps, it works amazingly.
If you're going to be watching movies and such I'd go with the S3 due to the screen size. Whenever I use the DINC4G I find the screen to be too small.
TW is decent enough and seems minimal. I really do like a lot of the features Sammy added to the S3, (motion commands and such).
- 08-01-2012, 12:08 PM #4
Re: Galaxy S3 Help
- 08-01-2012, 06:42 PM #6
- 08-01-2012, 08:08 PM #7
- 182 Posts
It's all about personal preference man... I love my S3, but I would probably like THE 4G as well.
There are a couple issues with S3 that I dislike, some more easily fixed than others, such as:
1. Stock keyboard is terrible, so is stock gallery app
2. Can't get blue tooth tontaje a call if there is anything headphone jack (issue when driving)
3. I annoying wifi pop up and lock of toggle
4. Randomly won't connect to wifi unless I toggle it a time or 2.
Some of these are serious issues for some people, but I'm sure 4G had its issues as well.
Overall, quite happy with my purchase, and I was strictly HTC before this
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums
Re: Galaxy S3 Help
How would you say the screen is? Is it vivid? That to me is a big deal, it has to pop and not be pixelated. My droid X2 has really scared me from ever buying a phone with pentile, despite the fact that it has evolved. On one hand, I used the Galaxy Nexus a month ago, had no clue it was pentile, but knew it was HD, and I thought it looked amazing. But when I went two weeks ago to try the Galaxy S3, I knew it was HD and pentile, and I thought it looked somewhat pixelated, along with being REALLY dim. It was dim when I tried it in the browser like I knew it would, but I turned it all the way up, and it wasn't bright at all. I didn't get the opportunity to try any media, so I would like to know what an actual video looks like on it. Going on YT in a store won't showcase what a saved video will look like.
The wifi thing sounds like a big deal, actually. I know the verizon one keeps that notification in the bar and it doesn't go away but I am fine with that. Do you mean that wifi loses connection a lot? Because my X2 does that and it annoys the heck out of me. The keyboard isn't bad because I am just going to install swype.
Do you consume a lot of media? How is the sound quality? I am so sorry for all the questions, but yall have just been so helpful.
I love the idea of the GS3, huge screen, slim, will be supported because of the amount of devices, but I also love what I have seen from Sense, the fact that it has the new ICS buttons, beats audio (I know, lame), the back looks awesome. It just feels like I love the idea of a future proofed phone with a monster display. I have huge hands, so I will be able to use the GS3 with one hand fine. I wish I knew how big the DINC4G is so I could compare it with the DINC I am using.
Like I said before, the screen is crisper and nicer than the Droid X, and it feels faster than the Droid X2 which lags horribly. Maybe I am just being cynical because I went with screen size once before, but this screen size is so significant, that it is probably different. The main things I am concerned about are screen QUALITY, and sound quality and user interface. I am not going to install a launcher unless it gives me something very similar to ICS, so I will be stuck with touchwiz. I've never been able to root before so I don't know how that works. I'm sorry for the rambling lol, I just really really really want to be as informed as possible before I go in. Thank you guys so much.
- 08-09-2012, 07:58 PM #9
- 08-10-2012, 11:51 AM #10
- 182 Posts
Re: Galaxy S3 Help
1.Who cares if other people dont like your phone... its about what meets YOUR needs. Hell, if I thought the iPhone met mine, I would get it. I could care less what anyone else thinks. DINC4G is a fine phone Im sure... and though it may be "midrange" right now, had it been released like, 6 months ago, it would have been flagship. Just think, in another 6 months, the S3 will probably be surpased in specs, and be considered midrange. They both have dualcore S4 chipsets, so they are about the same "future proof" wise, though I imagine S3 will have a bigger development following, which means nothing if you dont root.
2. I used to have a DINC2, and before that DINC1. The screen on the S3 looks great to me. Since July 11, I have used about 10GB of data, most of which on netflix. Screen looks great for me, no pixilation. Its 720p, so it looks HD to me. I will point out though, that my phone has black splotches that seem to be normal with AMOLED screens. You only see them when the entire screen is black while turned on (think credits in a movie) and its not all that noticable, just 2 little spots. Indoors with brightness turned up, screen is incredible. My friend has the OneX and even though everyone says the screen is so much better, I didnt notice too much a difference.
3. My wifi drops occasionally, but I have a large house and my router is in the corner of the basement. So, ocassionally it will drop signal and I will have to toggle it a couple times to have it pick it back up. I would say once a week maybe. I also have Tasker running which automatically toggles a lot of my settings based on time/day/location profiles. It is also entirely possible that Tasker is the issue and is toggleing something and I just havent noticed.
4. As stated, have used about 10GB on media.Sound is good, but I use the LG Tone BT headphones a lot...I dont really use the external speakers for much. When I do, I have been impressed, mostly because of how bad they were on the DINC2.
5. I believe the DINC4G has same size screen as DINC2. After a week with my S3, I was setting up my DINC2 to give to my mother (she was still rocking my Droid Eris, poor woman). It felt tiny... The first time I held an OG EVO I thought it was like a brick. I remember saying "I will NEVER use a phone this big". I LOVE my S3, and now dont think I could go smaller.
6. Root on the S3 is simple. took me under 5 minutes. After that I had my phone backed up, the wifi toggle added to the notification bar (and changed them to a nice blue color), had adblock going, froze/removed bloatware, had wifi tether, and Google Now working. And I tried TW but didnt like it too much, so I went to Apex Launcher with no regrets. love it. I "grew up" on Sense, but dont really miss anything using Apex.
Hope some of this helps. Good luck with whatever phone you get!