Screen won't rotate at all

762x51mm

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
So far this is the absolute best phone I have owned hands down. I have a small but annoying problem of the screen not auto rotating, or rotating at all.

Yes I have auto-rotate checked, I did a G sensor cal both with it checked and not checked. I have tried Touchwiz, APEX, and Nova launchers and they all do the same thing which is nothing.

I have a feeling my G sensor is not broke It may be a software issue. All the other "S gestures" work such as making a call just by putting the phone to my ear when in the TXT screen.

Anyone else have this problem, or any suggestions would be appreciated. I would hate to take this phone back to VZW just to get a Referb but may have to if it won't rotate. Thanks

Morlince

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
A friend of mine had that same issue. He did everything he could and was going to replace his phone but to fix it this is what he did.

Turned phone off
Put it into 'odin' mode
Pull the battery while in 'odin' mode, wait a minute.
Put battery back in and turn it on.

After that he said it starting rotating normal again.

Dont know if that will help just giving you info.

iceman64

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
Did your go into setting and check auto-rotate screen, make sure your have this check!!

Settings, Display, select auto-rotate screen

cajundroid

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
That actually did work for me. Thanks. :)

---------- Post Merged at 04:53 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:53 PM ----------

A friend of mine had that same issue. He did everything he could and was going to replace his phone but to fix it this is what he did.

Turned phone off
Put it into 'odin' mode
Pull the battery while in 'odin' mode, wait a minute.
Put battery back in and turn it on.

After that he said it starting rotating normal again.

Dont know if that will help just giving you info.

thanks!!!! It worked like a charm.

sjl8200

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
how do you put the phone into "odin" mode? I'm totally new to all this. I just want my screen to rotate and i've done everything else.

maurersr

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to say that this worked for me as well!

In order to get into odin mode, hold the volume down, home, and power buttons when powering on your phone. Then just hit volume up when it prompts you to.

carterj83

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
This appears to be a repeat issue with the S3....I litterally bought a Chocolate S3 less than 3 day's ago and it is already having the same problem. I tried all the possible solutions like a Hard Reset, Factory Data Reset, Gyro Recalibration..and like all of you the problem was not solved. Called Samsung, Verizon, and checked all the forums but nothing was able to solve this issue...HOWEVER, after discussing it with a tech I got to thinking that maybe the issue is with the keyboard itself, that comes factory installed on the phone. I downloaded a new keyboard(Swiftkey 3 Trial in my case) off the market and then did another Hard Reset. This time after pulling the battery, waiting 30 seconds, and repowering, the phone is fully funtional and the problem has not repeated it's self since then. I Hope this helps others in the future!

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Yea its a problem with touchwiz the same thing happens on the sprint s3, yet it works fine if your running aosp/aokp.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Blackpearrl

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to say but I use swiftkey too, the full version in fact, and the auto-rotation sticking is a problem for me too. I don't think it's the keyboard software.

This appears to be a repeat issue with the S3....I litterally bought a Chocolate S3 less than 3 day's ago and it is already having the same problem. I tried all the possible solutions like a Hard Reset, Factory Data Reset, Gyro Recalibration..and like all of you the problem was not solved. Called Samsung, Verizon, and checked all the forums but nothing was able to solve this issue...HOWEVER, after discussing it with a tech I got to thinking that maybe the issue is with the keyboard itself, that comes factory installed on the phone. I downloaded a new keyboard(Swiftkey 3 Trial in my case) off the market and then did another Hard Reset. This time after pulling the battery, waiting 30 seconds, and repowering, the phone is fully funtional and the problem has not repeated it's self since then. I Hope this helps others in the future!

drmaf894c

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm a little confused. To the op and others that had the issue. When was screen not rotating? Is it supposed to rotate all the time? Mine has never rotated on the lock screen or home but seems to work just fine in all my apps. (have had the settings not sticking issue but thought it was just me). Just curious.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Android Central Forums

dlgus

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
This is why I love this forum...I came here because my screen wouldn't rotate, and there was
an answer! It turned out that the answer I needed was the simple one (had auto rotate unchecked)

cviolo

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Everyone is talking about a whole bunch of steps that they took before they took their battery out and waited 30 seconds. All these steps are unnecessary. All you have to do is turn your settings > display > turn off Auto-Rotate screen then take the battery out, wait 30 seconds or so, turn your phone on, turn Auto-Rotate screen on, and it should work. I had this problem and read so many suggestions all of them different with one similarity, everyone takes their battery out and waits 30 seconds. That is the main step. Hope this helps some people.

kalmangt

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
real simple fix that worked for me,

select Settings then Display turn off the "Auto-rotate screen" option then scroll down and select "Gyroscopic Calibration" place the phone on a level surface and select Calibrate then turn the Auto-rotate back on.

Give it a shot.