Using Sprint S3 on Verizon

scorpiodsu

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
No. I actually it's technically possible but Verizon would not allow a sprint device on its network even if it was.

Sent from my Galaxy S III

Uncle Louie

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Afraid not... The Verizon S3 uses different radios than the Sprint version does.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Android Central Forums

AustinRawr

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I wasn't sure, because I heard the Galaxy could be used globally, so i assumed it could be rooted for Verizon.
A Samsung rep. told me it wasn't possible because Verizon was CDMA.
Which Doesn't make sense to me since the Sprint version is also?

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
I wasn't sure, because I heard the Galaxy could be used globally, so i assumed it could be rooted for Verizon.

Yes sprint and Verizon are both cdma but use different radio frequencies. Sprint is higher up on the spectrum I believe and Verizon lower.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site

Problem is that neither of the cdma carriers allow outside devices. Devices aren't interchangeable like GSM carriers where you can just pop in your sim card and go. If the device ID isn't already in the carriers database, it won't get activated. Even if you knew someone with enough power to add it or illegally modified ESN, LTE wouldn't work due to Sprint using a much higher frequency and you'd still have the problem of the Sprint GSIII not having a user removable sim.

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
A Sprint phone can, technologically, be made to work on Verizon's network, although you'd only get 3G data, not 4G. It's probably even possible to hack the phone's ESN and MEID to make it look like a Verizon phone. But it's illegal to hack the ESN. If you have a Sprint phone and want to be (or are) a Verizon customer, your best bet is to sell the phone and start over.

BTW, not all GSM phones are completely compatible with other carriers, either. Different carriers use different frequencies, so while putting a t-mobile SIM in an AT&T sourced phone (as one example) will work, it won't give you full capabilities.