Not sure what to do

TheAlmightyDrew

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
I am at a crossroads here. I am on Verizon. My contract is up and I can do whatever at this point. However, I don't know what to do. I have an iPhone 4. I want to switch to Android and get the S3. I'm well versed in the Android world since I had the Droid X for a few months before switching to the iPhone 4. Because of this I know how frequently a new and better Android phone is released. The HTC One X+ was announced but unfortunately that probably won't come to Verizon's network when it comes to the States

So my question is: should I get the S3 now and sign the dreaded 2 year contract? However since the S3 has been out for a few months now, should I wait for the next best thing? Like maybe the Razr HD? The reason I am siding with the S3 is because despite the fact that the Razr HD is coming out almost half a year after the S3, their specs are nearly identical.

But anyways, opinions? Sorry for the wall of text and thanks in advance for your opinions.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I'd say go for it. If you REALLY wanted battery life, I could going for the whatever the new RAZR Maxx is, but the S3 is a great device, and probably will be competive spec-wise with anything coming out in the near future.

There's always gonna be something better right around the corner...no getting around that no matter what you do.

HalizDad

Banned
Jul 17, 2011
Visit site
Opinions are like...you know... The S3 is the baddest phone I've ever seen. I had my Evo4G for 2 years, and had bought it a year after it came out...3 year old technology that still measured up and did the job against the newer phones...until the S3. I knew people who were waiting for the next Evo4G and all they got shown was the Evo Shift and the Evo3D...I would be disappointed if I'd held out for either of those. What's my point? Sometimes holding out isn't the smartest choice. Newer doesn't always mean "better". Look at the T-Bolt...Bigger specs, (Than the Evo4G) but ultimately, Verizon screwed the pooch on that one with crappy and non-existent upgrades and a shoddy LTE network at the time. My buddy has a T-Bolt...I was able to razz him him for 2 years with my Evo...lol. I wouldn't even tease him with the S3...It would hurt too much. The Evo4G LTE+ sounds like a nice phone...I'm just not a fan of Sense anymore, and especially a non-removable battery...Especially when the 2100mAh battery didn't hold up very well against the original hardware...

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Opinions are like...you know... The S3 is the baddest phone I've ever seen. I had my Evo4G for 2 years, and had bought it a year after it came out...3 year old technology that still measured up and did the job against the newer phones...until the S3. I knew people who were waiting for the next Evo4G and all they got shown was the Evo Shift and the Evo3D...I would be disappointed if I'd held out for either of those. What's my point? Sometimes holding out isn't the smartest choice. Newer doesn't always mean "better". Look at the T-Bolt...Bigger specs, (Than the Evo4G) but ultimately, Verizon screwed the pooch on that one with crappy and non-existent upgrades and a shoddy LTE network at the time. My buddy has a T-Bolt...I was able to razz him him for 2 years with my Evo...lol. I wouldn't even tease him with the S3...It would hurt too much. The Evo4G LTE+ sounds like a nice phone...I'm just not a fan of Sense anymore, and especially a non-removable battery...Especially when the 2100mAh battery didn't hold up very well against the original hardware...

Not to get slightly off topic, but the Thunderbolt, save for maybe the tiny battery they loaded in it, was an AWESOME phone. What was wrong with it was the Verizon software -- especially the one update Verizon pushed out that caused everyone's phones to randomly reboot several times a day. For those of us who, like myself, rooted their device and ran one of the dozen or so quality ROMs for it, it was a fantastic experience. I'm not saying everyone should have to do that, but it is proof that there was nothing wrong with the hardware at all. I realize it was the first 4G LTE phone, and some bugs were expected...but I don't understand why Verizon and HTC don't better utilize the dev community when it comes to fixing broken software.

Having said that, I've been very impressed with the Stock OS on the S3 thus far...night and day difference compared to the crap that came loaded on the Thunderbolt.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Save up and buy a phone off contract. Or sell your iPhone and put the money towards a new phone. If you sign another two year agreement, you'll lose your unlimited data. If you don't have unlimited, then ignore what I just said :)

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
If you are OKAY after thinking about signing another 2 year contract then I would say go for the GS3 for sure. However, if you aren't too keen on signing another 2 year contract and loosing your unlimited data then I would recommend that you wait. You can either wait and save up for the GS3 if you like it that much, or while you are saving for a new phone off contract there is a chance that something new may be on the not so distant horizon and you can wait slightly longer for that. I find that waiting hasn't always been worth it since even if you wait for the next awesome device, 3-4 months down the road there is another one. Get what you really like now and be happy with it, I am with my Galaxy S3.

TheAlmightyDrew

Sep 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for all the advice. I am not sure how much I will get for my iPhone 4 since my home button doesn't work much. It works every now and then.

SNOOP97DAWG

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
there is always a chance u can scoop one up on craiglist or ebay so u dont have to get into that contract. I just got one brand new still in plastic for 375$ that i found on craiglist

leroybrute

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
If you want a big screen and possibly the best phone or phablet on the planet wait a month and see when the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 hits VZW. My SG3 and my Nexus 7 will be replaced by it.

guthrien

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
The S3 is one of the best devices I've ever owned so I could easily recommend it on that level alone. However, I'm going to make another argument to you that isn't device specific and at first glance is going to sound excessive. Keep in mind I'm not wealthy or easy with my cash.

I see so many people stress over this decision, the reason being they actually care about the phone they use and dread our current system of lock in. Most people just use what they use and upgrade when their carrier reminds them. Else they want an iPhone :p

My proposition to you is this: upgrade every year and buy the phone you want. You'll pay a premium every other year, but you get the freedom of enjoying the most important gadget you use every day, sometimes several hours a day. It's a few dollars premium over that entire time to be pleased with what's in your pocket. It's a good value proposition and you can make an effort to save a few dollars somewhere else. Treat yourself and stop worrying.

Another angle. Go to your carrier at the end of the year and tell them it would cost you the exact same amount to break your contract and get the phone you want on another carrier, as it would to buy the phone at full cost. They might surprise you.

I wasn't due an upgrade. I got a few hundred dollars for my iphone and price matched a better deal for the S3. I spent a couple hundred bucks to have the phone I want this year, but I use it like a fiend. It was worth it. I'll do it again in several months when I'm due for an upgrade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress