Lock screen turns on with SMS...

nolittdroid

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Just switched from a dinc2 to an S3 so I'm still getting used to my phone.

Is there anyway to disable the screen from turning on when I receive a text? I don't want to set a password but I'd like to have the option at least....

Ty!

Sent from my S3 using ACF

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
You're using a 3rd party sms app right? I don't believe the stock messaging app has that option. If it's gosms, hit menu then settings and notifications. Within that, there will be options for notifications and just tweak them. Uncheck the box for "screen on when receiving messages". If you're using a different app then just mess with the settings.

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what you're saying. Does your statement mean you are or are not using a 3rd party app? The stock messaging app does not turn the screen on when receiving messages. At least mine doesn't and there is no option to do so or to turn it off so I'm not sure what's happening on your device

imhipper

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
My phone's screen turns on every time I receive a text and if I'm not crazy there is no way to stop it using the stock messaging app.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Well I guess if it bothers you then you gotta download a 3rd party sms app and shut it off.

My GS3 sleeps in the bed and I make my girlfriend sleep on the couch

nolittdroid

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm not using a 3rd party app, I don't want to and every text turns my screen on. Not too difficult to figure out.

Sent from my S3 on ACS

chevyman29

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
the only way to stop it with the stock app is to turn off the text notifications completely . on mine all i get is a little small number right on the message icon that tells me how many texts i have waiting . thats the only way i could stop the screen from lighting up . hope this helps.

wowpaw

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
the only way to stop it with the stock app is to turn off the text notifications completely . on mine all i get is a little small number right on the message icon that tells me how many texts i have waiting . thats the only way i could stop the screen from lighting up . hope this helps.
At that point, you might as well just use a third party app and ditch the stock one

Eion

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Yeah there is no way to stop it from doing that with the stock app. It was the very first gripe I had with the phone when I bought it last summer. I was hoping with the JB update they would add an option to turn it off, but of course there is not.
Only way to do it is to use a 3rd party texting app.... Which is bs