Offline Maps and Navigation

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I will be leaving the country next week, and plan to use the Galaxy S3's GPS function to navigate around. To prevent crazy data charges, I will be downloading maps for offline use, and activate the GPS location services, while deactivating data service...again, to prevent data charges. That being stated, I have a couple of questions. Granted, these questions may seem "stupid", but I want to make sure I am covering my bases.

1) If only GPS is used while cell/data connection is deactivated, will the GPS work properly as long as the proper maps are downloaded?

2) If I download the maps in the Google Maps app, does the native Navigation app use these maps, or are the Navigation app maps separate from the Google Maps app?

Thanks for the help! :)

AxlMyk

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Look for Nav Free at the play store.
Doesn't use data. Worldwide maps are available.

--Tapatalk 2 on SGS3.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Biscuits,
1. Yes, GPS works independent of any data connection
2. Yes, if you download the maps for where you're going you can use them for navigation purposes - it's the same maps.
I haven't personally used the navigation features offline, but it should be quite easy for you to test where you live/work right now - then you'll have a high probability of it working the way you expect once you travel.
And as the previous poster mentioned, there are other options if you don't want to be tied to the Google solution.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
1.Yes, the GPS will work fine offline.
2. Are you asking about VZnavigator? Routing doesn't work for me with offline cached Google maps, if that is what you are asking. I believe that routing through Google is done online.

You may want to try OSMand+ or such. I purchased CoPilot and it works VERY well.

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
2. Are you asking about VZnavigator? Routing doesn't work for me with offline cached Google maps, if that is what you are asking. I believe that routing through Google is done online.

Actually, not VZnavigator, but the GPS navigation map that looks like a blue arrow.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Confirmed: does not use data with GPS only, and a downloaded map.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Palina Kavalchuk

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi!
I Have Samsung Galaxy S2

1) GPS works without any type of connection, the accuracy of geolocation usually depends on your device.
2) I usually use MapsWithMe app for travelling. It doesn't have navigation, but has all countries of the world and offline search inside.
Used Google maps before, now just imported all the POI with KML files to a new app)

scaryhumor

May 13, 2010
Visit site
OT:
Hi!
I Have Samsung Galaxy S2
1) GPS works without any type of connection, the accuracy of geolocation usually depends on your device.
2) I usually use MapsWithMe app for travelling. It doesn't have navigation, but has all countries of the world and offline search inside.
Used Google maps before, now just imported all the POI with KML files to a new app)

Welcome to AC. Your profile picture looks like one of the mug shots of pretty girls that The Smoking Gun posts: Mug Shots: Pretty Perps | The Smoking Gun

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
If you want to navigate offline (that is, without mobile data) you need a nav program that works on locally stored maps. The blue arrow you refer to is Google Nav and it loads map segments as needed over mobile data. I understand you can preload maps, but that presumes you have some idea where you are going. You cannot just load France or Great Britain, say. You have to load segments along your route as I understand it.

A better alternative might the the entirely offline and preloaded apps. Take a look at Sygic, Tomtom or Navigon. Sygic has a lot of international packages. So does Navigon. I *think* Tomtom does, but I can't say for certain.

As for the GPS, it doesn't use data. It just looks for the GPS positioning satellites.

dfb8085

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Now that I no longer need the offline maps I downloaded can anyone tell me how to find and remove them from my device? I uninstalled the app "Offline maps and navigation" already.

Thanks

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty