Verizon Galaxy S3 Never rooted bootloop

Circlecast

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
:'(

Help! Last night my phone rebooted and it gets to the LTE screen and that is it. The Animation keeps going and you can tell when it repeats cause the vibrator kicks, yet it doesn't go any further. Any thoughts, as to how to get out of the loop? I can turn my phone in but just really don't wanna have to reset all my apps. Thanks for all tips

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
:'(

Help! Last night my phone rebooted and it gets to the LTE screen and that is it. The Animation keeps going and you can tell when it repeats cause the vibrator kicks, yet it doesn't go any further. Any thoughts, as to how to get out of the loop? I can turn my phone in but just really don't wanna have to reset all my apps. Thanks for all tips

Try rebooting into Recovery (press home, volume up and power) till you see the Samsung logo. Scroll down to wipe cache partition (volume keys navigate power selects) and reboot.

winnersmw

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
First try booting into safe mode. Press and hold the power button until the Samsung logo appears, and then immediately hold down the volume-down key. Continue to hold the Volume down key until Safe mode appears in the lower-left of the unlock screen then release. This will load only those apps and services necessary to run Android, so hopefully any third part apps that might be causing issues will not load. If Android boots then you need to remove whatever app you installed recently that is causing the issue.

Also try looking into ADB to debug your device. You're going to have to install the Android SDK and the Java SDK, and then use your desktop command line to connect via USB to your android device. You'll be able to view boot and error logs as well as add and remove APKs. Hopefully you can pinpoint which APK is causing the bootloop and remove it. Here's a good starting point: How To Install and Use ADB, the Android Debug Bridge Utility

Brett Will Baker

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I recently broke the screen on my s3. Instead of paying the money to have it replaced I did it myself with the kit from ebay. During the removal of the old screen I nicked the menu button and after replacing screen it refused to work properly. While trying to find a soft key app for my rooted phone which would take over the menu function I edit a script following a MOD instruction. I rebooted and was stuck on boot just after the samsung screen. All my phone would to was give little vibrations every 10 seconds or so.

I was able to boot to recovery, however stock recovery would not fix the boot image.

I have heard of similar problems with booting and thought I would post my fix.

I downloaded a clockworkmod v6 .img file.

I downloaded Odin v3.

I downloaded the S3 usb drivers from samsung website.

I already had a back up made with a previous version of clockwork but I know you can find the stock version of your S3 for download if that is the course you need to take.

NOTE: Odin will not flash .img files. I edited a .tar file with the name clockworkmod.tar and inserted the .img file i downloaded for the S3 into the .tar using Ubuntu on my laptop. If you do not have Ubuntu i know you can find the .tar of clockwork but i just got tired of searching for it. The .img file has to be named recovery.img inside the .tar in order for odin to flash it. I found that out the hard way getting multiple errors.

Using windows XP on another computer (Odin wouldn't flash using VirtualBox inside ubuntu) I first installed the usb drivers for the S3.

Then I started Odin. At the right hand side of the screen you will see PDA. Click that and browse until you find you clockworkmod.tar file and open it.

Uncheck the box at the left of the screen that says Auto REBOOT. if your phone doesn't boot properly (like mine did not) then when Odin reboots your phone you will lose the recovery that you just flashed to the phone. Leave f.reset checked.

Put you phone in download mode by holding down the volume down, power and home keys. When the warning prompt comes up then press volume up to continue. Your phone will will go into download mode.

Connect your phone to the computer and wait for all the windows nonsense about device drivers loading and so on to happen. You should then see that, in Odin, the little rectangle box in the upper right, just underneath the big square box, will turn either blue or yellow depending on your Odin version. Inside the comment box it will also say ADDED! If the box doesn't turn a colour then you need to check that the usb drivers installed properly and repeat the above steps.

Hit Start. It should only take about 10 seconds and then in the comment box it should say RESET OK.

Unplug your phone from computer and remove the battery... Replace the battery. DONT LET IT TRY TO BOOT YET! Mine tried to boot and I had to pull the battery out real fast twice before it finally just black screened.

Enter recovery by holding the volume up, power and home keys together.

You should now see clockworkmod as your recovery agent. If you get the stock recovery prompt or you don't get a recovery prompt at all have no fear. I had to do the steps three times before I got it down perfectly and was able to boot into clocworkmod.

Use clockworkmod to format your sd card. (obviously back up any data that you want to keep off it first) volume keys navigate up and down and the power key is the execute button. Navigate to mount/storage and select. Format is at the bottom of the next screen. There are many tutorials on how to navigate clocworkmod.

Pull out the battery after you have formatted. Pull out the sd card and pop it ino your computer. Place the backup that you have downloaded or had stored on the sd card.
Again, I had multiple backups already but you can find stock .img files out there.

Replace the sd card and boot back into recovery mode. Again, if you miss recovery mode and your phone starts to boot then you will most likely have to start over in Odin to re flash clockworkmod.

In recovery mode scroll down to restore from ext sd card. If the backup file is good you should then see it. Click on the file... Click on Yes. Hopefully in about 3 minutes it will finish and say SUCCESS!

Reboot. If your backup was good you should be all set.
I really hope this helps you.

derpdr0id

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi im new to flashing and rooting I rooted my samsung galaxy s 3 us cellular worked fine then tryed to backup in clockwork recovery and black screen.
Then it starting a vibrating loop no logo or nothing to fix this take out the battery and wait 5 seconds then put back in be fast and hold to the download or recovery I did download then. Select restart and wait for boot up and done. Hope it works!
p.s someone please tell me how to flash cyan on my s3 im rooted and have rom manger and have cyan zip on my computer thanks