Galaxy S3: Damaged micro USB port, charging issues

lizm223

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi all, I believe my micro USB port is damaged. It's becoming increasingly difficult to charge, and has to be plugged in at a certain angle to connect and charge. I've tried multiple usb cords/chargers, and have tried pulling the battery, and still he same so I'm figuring it's the port. Getting a new phone is a pain, so does Verizon do these types of repairs (doubtful)? If not, is it worth sending in to Samsung under warranty to be repaired? I've had the phone less than a year.

Last edited by a moderator:

dragonsamus

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Damaged micro USB port, charging issues

Did you buy from VZW? If yes, they should be able to give you a new/refurbished phone since its been less than a year.

Sent from my One using AC Forums mobile app

rootedVette

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi all, I believe my micro USB port is damaged. It's becoming increasingly difficult to charge, and has to be plugged in at a certain angle to connect and charge. I've tried multiple usb cords/chargers, and have tried pulling the battery, and still he same so I'm figuring it's the port. Getting a new phone is a pain, so does Verizon do these types of repairs (doubtful)? If not, is it worth sending in to Samsung under warranty to be repaired? I've had the phone less than a year.

Verizon should be able to help, but if not then absolutely send it off to get repaired, as long as you can put up with not having it for a little while. Once it is out of warranty they'll charge, so take advantage of it while you can.

Posted via Android Central App

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Do you have insurance? It'll cost you the deductible, but that's probably preferable than having to wait for Samsung to repair it under warranty.

You can get by without the micro-USB port if you're willing to go to a wireless charging solution. Then you could use something like Kies Air to transfer data between your phone and computer.

The only real sticking point is if you decide to root your phone, or if you need to manually reload the firmware - then you'd have to have a direct connection.

Lastly, I've read that some people have replaced the micro-USB port on the phone. You might even be able to find one of those iFixIt places to do it for you.
Edit: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Samsung+Galaxy+S3+Disassembly+&+Assembly/9413/1

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk 2

papafrankm

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

Could also purchase a battery charger and spare battery about$35 . I rarely plug my phone in for charging or file transfer, because of this issue.

Posted via Android Central App

hidara

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site

try cleaning any lint out of the usb port using a pin. worked for me

mikemen

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site

Guys! This micro usb port damage is a known issue with Samsung phones and tablets. What design engineers in their right mind would sign off such an idiotic design, seriously!
Let's all make it clear to Samsung that this design is flawed and maybe Samsung would process a DCO to fix the issue. I am calling them tonight damn it!!!!!
I'm sorry the only fix right now is to replace the culprit and hopefully you've got insurance. I am absolutely passed off!

10river10

Nov 13, 2014
Visit site

Hi all, My Galaxy Tablet USB port is damaged as well ,same issue, I was in guarantee but have to pay £95.00 for the repair as they claim I damaged it , the motherboard has to be replaced along with the USB port… any suggestions?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez