IMAP Notifications Not Clearing When Email is Read on PC

androidaroid

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I use my phone for my work email, which I have synced through my S3s email app. I just got this phone. On my old phone, when I read an email on my PC, the notification on my phone would also go away. Now, even though the phone does sync the messages as read, it doesn't clear the notification of a new email in the status bar. Read gmails clear fine though. Any suggestions? I'm also open to trying another email app that doesn't have this problem if anyone has suggestions.

Thanks!

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
When you set up the new email in your phone, are you sure you set it up as an IMAP server in "Incoming Settings"? It defaults to POP3 unless you change it, I believe. Also, in the same settings area, what is your Sync Schedule set at? It could be that it is set to sync only once an hour, for instance, or maybe even set to Manual.

androidaroid

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
Something I'm unsure of is if used the right tool to set it up. I used the corporate emai option, though its a Groupwise server, not Exchange, and it worked except for this issue. When I tried to use the other email option, including setting it to imap, it gives me a cannot connect to server error, even though it did work with my last phone.

It's set to sync right though, the problem is when it does sync, it marks the email as read but the notification doesn't get clared.

gozirra

Apr 28, 2011
Visit site
Then its not sync'ing correctly, as that is one of the functions, as you've experienced in the past. Might try deleting the account on your phone and re-setting it up. As far as cannot-connect errors, those are almost always either the incorrect port, or, your phone auto-capitalizing the first letter. Remember, in most server environments, "mail.yourdomain.com" and "Mail.yourdomain.com" are two completely different animals.

androidaroid

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
I have redone it and that didn't do much. The server is an ip address. I just turned on my old phone, a Droid X, and sent an email to see what would happen. On the old phone the email is pushed to it and then stops blinking once I read it on the PC. On the new phone, it starts blinking but doesn't stop. Interestingly, if I have two emails, and leave one undread, on the notification bar on my new phone, it shows both emails and says "three new messages" but also has an email icon with a one next to it under that. It's as if it knows there's one unread email but only will get rid of the notification if all the emails are read or cleared on the phone.

I'm not a big fan of the S3's notification bar in general, I wish I could change it.

ansextra

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have the same issue using Exchange. Makes me crazy. I'd love to be able to turn off taskbar notifications but keep the sound alert (and then just see the unread count on my email icon) but that doesn't seem to be an option.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty