Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default GS3 Broken screen - How to retrieve app data

Hi all,

New here, but would appreciate any help. I dropped my GS3 and now the screen doesn't turn on. The LCDs and vibrations tell me that it is turning on and I am able to receive calls, so I think it is just a screen/digitizer issue.

I was wondering if anyone had ay luck running the GS3 through an external display, either through a simple USB->HDMI method, or connecting directly from the motherboard> Alternatively, is there a way to boot such that I could manipulate the device and apps from a connected computer? Specifically, I'd like to retrieve a bit of bitcoin that I have stored in a mycelium wallet. Retrieving contacts would be useful too.

Specs
    Verizon GS3
    Rooted stock OS (just minus Verizon bloatware)
    USB debugging not enabled (cause I'm a moron)

Finally, is there a way to remotely wipe all personal data from internal storage (besides using a large magnet), since I'm replacing the device?

Thanks in advance!!

Default Re: GS3 Broken screen - How to retrieve app data

Last question first - if you enabled Google's Android Device Manager (under Settings -> More -> Security -> Device administrators) then the answer is yes. Or if you've installed a 3rd party security solution like Lookout, etc.

You can use an MHL<>HDMI cable to mirror the display on a TV. You can find them on eBay for $15 or so; the Samsung original part is about double that, and if you're going that route you might as well go all out and get http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009QW3TBK/...idcentral00-20

If you don't have a Pattern/PIN/Password then you can connect it to your computer and use the Kies software to make a backup of contacts, pictures/videos, SMS/MMS, call logs, etc as well as to wipe the device.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by dargason View Post
    Hi all,

New here, but would appreciate any help. I dropped my GS3 and now the screen doesn't turn on. The LCDs and vibrations tell me that it is turning on and I am able to receive calls, so I think it is just a screen/digitizer issue.

I was wondering if anyone had ay luck running the GS3 through an external display, either through a simple USB->HDMI method, or connecting directly from the motherboard> Alternatively, is there a way to boot such that I could manipulate the device and apps from a connected computer? Specifically, I'd like to retrieve a bit of bitcoin that I have stored in a mycelium wallet. Retrieving contacts would be useful too.

Specs
    Verizon GS3
    Rooted stock OS (just minus Verizon bloatware)
    USB debugging not enabled (cause I'm a moron)

Finally, is there a way to remotely wipe all personal data from internal storage (besides using a large magnet), since I'm replacing the device?

Thanks in advance!!
    FYI, magnet is useless on an SSD

Global Posts
    285 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

If you plan on getting a replacement phone you can always just open up the broken one and new one, disconnect the ribbon cable that is for the display and hook the display of the new phone to the old board, move what needs moved to a PC, Dropbox, etc. then just put the new phone back together and send the old one back. There's videos on YouTube and some have posted instructions on other threads here.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk