GS3 Broken screen - How to retrieve app data

dargason

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

New here, but would appreciate any help. I dropped my GS3 and now the screen doesn't turn on. The LCDs and vibrations tell me that it is turning on and I am able to receive calls, so I think it is just a screen/digitizer issue.

I was wondering if anyone had ay luck running the GS3 through an external display, either through a simple USB->HDMI method, or connecting directly from the motherboard> Alternatively, is there a way to boot such that I could manipulate the device and apps from a connected computer? Specifically, I'd like to retrieve a bit of bitcoin that I have stored in a mycelium wallet. Retrieving contacts would be useful too.

Specs
Verizon GS3
Rooted stock OS (just minus Verizon bloatware)
USB debugging not enabled (cause I'm a moron)

Finally, is there a way to remotely wipe all personal data from internal storage (besides using a large magnet), since I'm replacing the device?

Thanks in advance!!

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Last question first - if you enabled Google's Android Device Manager (under Settings -> More -> Security -> Device administrators) then the answer is yes. Or if you've installed a 3rd party security solution like Lookout, etc.

You can use an MHL<>HDMI cable to mirror the display on a TV. You can find them on eBay for $15 or so; the Samsung original part is about double that, and if you're going that route you might as well go all out and get http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009QW3TBK...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3414324

If you don't have a Pattern/PIN/Password then you can connect it to your computer and use the Kies software to make a backup of contacts, pictures/videos, SMS/MMS, call logs, etc as well as to wipe the device.

Sent from my rooted, debloated, deodexed Sinclair ZX-80 running CM -0.001 using Tapatalk Pro

rusty502

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

New here, but would appreciate any help. I dropped my GS3 and now the screen doesn't turn on. The LCDs and vibrations tell me that it is turning on and I am able to receive calls, so I think it is just a screen/digitizer issue.

I was wondering if anyone had ay luck running the GS3 through an external display, either through a simple USB->HDMI method, or connecting directly from the motherboard> Alternatively, is there a way to boot such that I could manipulate the device and apps from a connected computer? Specifically, I'd like to retrieve a bit of bitcoin that I have stored in a mycelium wallet. Retrieving contacts would be useful too.

Specs
Verizon GS3
Rooted stock OS (just minus Verizon bloatware)
USB debugging not enabled (cause I'm a moron)

Finally, is there a way to remotely wipe all personal data from internal storage (besides using a large magnet), since I'm replacing the device?

Thanks in advance!!

FYI, magnet is useless on an SSD

montanaxvi

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
If you plan on getting a replacement phone you can always just open up the broken one and new one, disconnect the ribbon cable that is for the display and hook the display of the new phone to the old board, move what needs moved to a PC, Dropbox, etc. then just put the new phone back together and send the old one back. There's videos on YouTube and some have posted instructions on other threads here.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress