Keyboard Discussion

BygSii

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I didn't see a keyboard discussion thread, so I wanted to start one.

Two problems I'm experiencing with my HTC One Keyboard.
1. Saving commas with words. Why is it, (great example here) when I use a coma after a word it saves it as a new word. So now when I go to type it, it, now has a comma after it,.
2. When using Trace and when I go to capitalizes a word, it forgets to add a space andLooksLike this.

Also for everyone out there, comment on this thread, I wanna know...
1. What Keyboard do you suggest?
2. Do you use sound/haptic feedback?
3. If you do, do you notice a difference in battery life?

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Google keyboard in the market. Like it better than swift key
Yes I use hepatic feedback with no added drain

Sent from my HTCONE using AC Forums mobile app

gerrya

May 22, 2013
Visit site
I used to use Swype for a long time but didn't like the fact that they did not have Google voice typing built in, so I went to Swift key and really like it. I do not use haptic or sound.

BygSii

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Same here. I love Swype and how it has about fifteen different themes. What I don't like is the Dragon speech.

I'm trying Google keyboard out now. I don't see that it has any themes. It also doesn't have any short cuts on the qwerty for like... Long press Z for comma or long press M for question mark, but it does have the option to click on a word and suggest similar words. incase i input the wrong word.

BygSii

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Now trying swift keyboard out. It works really well. It does have the long press shortcuts which I like. It just doesn't look pleasing to the eye. Not saying it's bad, just saying it has lots of themes but none fit my taste. I must have used it before at one time because it says I've already purchased it.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
On my DNA I preferred the HTC keyboard. Never really liked SwiftKey, seemed to be really slow to me. I do like the stock Android keyboard too and I'll switch to that at times.

My complaint with the HTC keyboard is, for example, if I mistype "coudt" and backspace to space to enter the "l", it doesn't auto-correct to "couldn't". I had to erase the whole word and type it again.

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
I stopped using the stock keyboard 3 or 4 phones back. One of the first things I do is load SwiftKey.
Themes are not an issue, I use the keyboard solely as a tool.

H_Wordsmythe

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Coming from a Droid 3, I had a very difficult time living without a dedicated number row, so I bought Kii Keyboard. I'm happy with it for the most part, but I've only been using it for a day and a half so far. I also like that it gives me the option of using directional arrow keys, which is another thing I missed from my hardware keyboard. One thing that no soft keyboard can make up for is the screen real estate. I hate that half my screen disappears when I type something. It's worth it to have the One though!

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
SwiftKey is my favorite.. Once it learns you after a few weeks it is awesome. Also the spell correction is nice.

Oh and it syncs with your Google account (you have to manually enable / authorize it) so your predictions will be saved for other phones you have or when you switch phones altogether :).

Sent from my T-Mobile HTC One using AC Forums.

darryjr

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Everybody seems to like swift key, I did as well until I tried Kii keyboard, free at the play store. IMO one of the best I have ever used. Give it a whirl and let me know what you think.

H_Wordsmythe

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Everybody seems to like swift key, I did as well until I tried Kii keyboard, free at the play store. IMO one of the best I have ever used. Give it a whirl and let me know what you think.

One thing to note is that Kii's "premium" features reset every hour unless you buy it. It's worth the $4 in my opinion; the number row and arrow keys are great. One thing I don't like is that predictive text doesn't work for the "To:" field in the messaging app, if you're in landscape. I have to remember to stay in portrait when I'm filling in the contact. Hopefully an update will change that.