WiFi = No Weather Update

majiklantrn

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I found that if I enable my WiFi on the phone, my weather and location widget won't update. If I go into the weather to refresh, it will come back and say "unable to contact the location services to update your current location." This will happen whether or not my wifi is configured. Once I disable wifi, the weather and location instantly shows up.

I verified that the "Google Location Services" is enabled. This happens using both LTE and 3G. I have also don't a Factory Reset and didn't restore any of my settings.

Any ideas?

Paradocks

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Is your VZW Location Services also checked? The Rezound manual says this setting uses wi-fi or your mobile data connection to find your approximate location.

majiklantrn

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I enabled the "VZW Location Services" and I still have the same problem. Just to clarify, I have both "VZW Location Services" and "Google Location Services" enabled.

Paradocks

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I enabled the "VZW Location Services" and I still have the same problem. Just to clarify, I have both "VZW Location Services" and "Google Location Services" enabled.

Yes, that is the way it should be. The only other thing I can think of is to make sure the Mobile Network checkbox is enabled.

Paradocks

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Yep, that's checked. Everything has been left default.

Does it say "Connected" in the description area under Mobile Network? I had issues where the box was checked but it took some time for the Rezound to lock in. Also, under Mobile Networks, check and make sure the Enable always-on mobile data box is checked.

If none of these things make a difference then I am stumped. I am looking through the Rezound manual for other ideas but cannot find anything that may help. I would try enabling wi-fi on my Rezound to research your problem but I am not near a wi-fi hub.

majiklantrn

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Does it say "Connected" in the description area under Mobile Network? I had issues where the box was checked but it took some time for the Rezound to lock in. Also, under Mobile Networks, check and make sure the Enable always-on mobile data box is checked.

If none of these things make a difference then I am stumped. I am looking through the Rezound manual for other ideas but cannot find anything that may help. I would try enabling wi-fi on my Rezound to research your problem but I am not near a wi-fi hub.

I'll verify those check boxes. In my case, you don't even need to connect to a Wifi network, just have it enabled.

Paradocks

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
I'll verify those check boxes. In my case, you don't even need to connect to a Wifi network, just have it enabled.

I turned on my wi-fi and tried to update my weather. At first it asked me to join a wi-fi network, but I selected remind me later. It then proceeded to the weather page and updated the weather (the update time changed to the current time).

Don't know why this won't work with your Rezound?

majiklantrn

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I turned on my wi-fi and tried to update my weather. At first it asked me to join a wi-fi network, but I selected remind me later. It then proceeded to the weather page and updated the weather (the update time changed to the current time).

Don't know why this won't work with your Rezound?

Yeah.. kind of weird. I'm known to have these kinds of weird issues. I'm thinking I am going to get in my car and drive a location where no wifi is available and try that.

majiklantrn

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Can you try using this weather widget with your wifi on and see if you are getting the same experience.

I attached a pic of mine. No City is listed in the widget when wifi is enabled.

Paradocks

Apr 17, 2011
Visit site
Can you try using this weather widget with your wifi on and see if you are getting the same experience.

I attached a pic of mine. No City is listed in the widget when wifi is enabled.

I turned my wi-fi on and the weather widget displays my current location. But remember, even though my wi-fi is enabled it is not connected like your screen shot shows in the My Verizon widget.

majiklantrn

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
So I did a "forget" on my wifi and still doesn't work. I did go to the Verizon store and showed the rep (needed a case for my phone anyway). And just like everything else in the world, it didn't do it. The guy told me to enable all GPS on the phone. Sounded like a hidden sales pitch so my battery goes south I get the Extended Battery.

So I continued to play with it and sure enough, when I pulled up at my house, it went south again. Do I live in a the Bermuda triangle of location services? :) Its not that big of a deal, just an annoyance.

I appreciate the feed back you provided. If I do come across anything I'll post an update.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
How did you manage to get the widget to display WiFi connected? Even when connected to wifi, my widget always displays the current data used....

Thanks,

Matt!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

majiklantrn

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
How did you manage to get the widget to display WiFi connected? Even when connected to wifi, my widget always displays the current data used....

Thanks,

Matt!

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

I have no idea.... I'm having a lot of mysteries with this phone. They aren't bothering me, gives me something to do. :)

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
I thought I encountered the same issue as the OP did... my phone's icon indicator showed that I had a wifi connection, but my weather was missing.

My problem was that I was at a Starbucks and once I launched my browser and accepted Starbuck's T&Cs and Logged In... then my weather updated promptly.

jwjohnson#AC

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
It happens to me at work, (weather won't update when wireless connected). Our IT guys block lots of sites and my guess it that (at least for me) the site for updating the weather is being blocked. It works fine over wireless on my home network, or anywhere when I turn the wireless off.

majiklantrn

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
Its weird. This only happens when I'm at home. I don't need to be connected to wifi either. When I leave my home, everything works.

Must be my tin foil hat.

Joseph Solomon1

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I need your tin foil hat pal! I'll leave the house, and all the sudden my town will appear. All these techie hiccups must be the Chinese taking us over.:)