Played w/ Rezound and RAZR MAXX In Store, My Findings/Thoughts

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So, I spent about an hour in the VZW store today, played with one Rezound for about 25 min, the RAZR MAXX for 20ish, then another Rezound at another display for 10. Ran each through similar tests (updated apps over 4G, downloaded a couple free apps (nothing huge), HD YouTube videos (Lady Gaga's Bad Romance, Snow Patrol's Called Out In The Dark, and The Civil Wars' Barton Hollow), sent fake texts, made phone calls to my phone, took pictures (no video), and messed with settings. Here's what I found:

- The first Rezound was EXTREMELY laggy. Switching between screens, apps, and clicking on items had a noticeable delay, and was very annoying. Thus why I took a few to play with the 2nd Rezound, which ran much better and much smoother. Didn't seem like much was different between the two, but I didn't really examine them that closely.
- Even compared to the 2nd Rezound, the MAXX handled downloads, app updates, and playing YouTube A LOT quicker/snappier. Barely any lag at all, which was very cool.
- Both Rezounds had the recent OTA installed, but NEITHER had Verizon Location Agent installed on them, which I found interesting considering it seemed to be attached to the latest OTA and has been causing massive amounts of issues.
- Both Rezounds got quite warm at the bottom, around the antennas/radios, in putting them through the paces (games, HD YouTube videos, texts, camera use, etc). The MAXX, on the other hand, stayed cool to the touch with similar testing.
- The Rezound's camera shutter speed was a hair faster than the MAXX, but, IMO, the MAXX seemed to take better quality photos, especially with the flash (HTC seems to have trouble with flash brightness for photos, getting too bright for pics that need minimal flash...same issue on my DInc).
- Screen wise, the Rezound wins hands down. The bluish tint on the MAXX plus the qHD wasn't nearly as good. With that said, would this be noticeable/an issue for most? Not at all. The blue is noticed only when compared to another screen, and the qHD looks decent in most applications, but not as sharp as the Rezound HD LCD, but could probably only be picked up with a discerning eye. Also of note, didn't notice any burn-in on the MAXX (even with the display screen being constantly on), so take that for what it's worth.
- The MAXX is large/wide in the hand, but didn't feel cumbersome at all (in my average sized guy hands). The Rezound fits nicely in the hand, but even in the just 25 minutes of playing with it, I started to notice the weight of the phone, and, not going to lie, I was annoyed by that.
- LOVED the Swype keyboard on the MAXX. Wish HTC would play nice with Swype at some point, but it seems to be too buggy, and that HTC 'Trace' option is absolutely no match.
- The 'This-isn't-MotoBlur' actually seemed pretty cool and intuitive to me. I do like Sense, but Sense 4.0 just seemed, well, boring to me. Very similar to 3.Whatever I have on my DInc. But, this could simply be due to be so familiar with Sense.

That's all for now. If I remember more I'll add them here. I must say though, especially with all the issues the OTA is causing, its making this upgrade decision really difficult for me. I think a lot of it, for me, is the newness factor as well. The Rezound seems like a slightly better version of my DInc. Not bad, but not great either. The MAXX would feel like a new toy at Christmas. I know that shouldn't weigh on my decision, but it is, partly at least.

On another note though, the store service rep let slip to me that both phones may be seeing a price drop relatively soon (I asked if it was month-end, and she said she didn't have exact timeframe, but its possible). I assume it'll be about $50 each ($150 on upgrade from Rezound, $250 for the MAXX), but could be more (I wasn't given figures, just taking an educated guess). I know this can be filled under the 'Sun will rise tomorrow' type of news, but I thought it was noteworthy.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Played w/ Rezound and RAZR MAXX In Store, My Findings/Thought

I doubt either would drop more until "better" phones come out like quad cores. It doesn't make much sense for Verizon to drop the Maxx price otherwise, but who knows, this is Verizon.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I doubt either would drop more until "better" phones come out like quad cores. It doesn't make much sense for Verizon to drop the Maxx price otherwise, but who knows, this is Verizon.

Well, with the Mobile World Conference coming up at month's end, that could be the 'kicker', announcing a new phone or two, then dropping these prices. If the MAXX went down any more than $50, they'd obviously have to drop the original RAZR as well, so that has to be considered ($150 and $199 maybe?). I do agree that, since the price was just dropped on the Rezound to $199 a month ago, dropping it again sounds silly. But, again, if a new phone or two is announced at MWC, it's highly probable we could see another price drop by the end of March.

boomerbsg

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site

I'm kind of tired of my rezound.. wouldn't mind me a maxx.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

I'm kind of tired of my rezound.. wouldn't mind me a maxx.

I'm sitting there too, and I don't even have the Rezound yet. But, as I said, Sense 4.0 is very similar to 3.0, which I deal with daily on my Incredible. Honestly, I don't see the Rezound as being a HUGE step up from my DInc. Yes, I know 4g v. 3g, WVGA v. HD LCD, etc., but hardware and software wise, not seeing a big draw to be perfectly honest. Then, tag on all the Rezound issues (vs. the minimal/few issues people with the RAZR have), the more I think about it, the more I think I may either jump to the MAXX or stick it out with the DInc until something else comes along.

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site

I'm sitting there too, and I don't even have the Rezound yet. But, as I said, Sense 4.0 is very similar to 3.0, which I deal with daily on my Incredible. Honestly, I don't see the Rezound as being a HUGE step up from my DInc. Yes, I know 4g v. 3g, WVGA v. HD LCD, etc., but hardware and software wise, not seeing a big draw to be perfectly honest. Then, tag on all the Rezound issues (vs. the minimal/few issues people with the RAZR have), the more I think about it, the more I think I may either jump to the MAXX or stick it out with the DInc until something else comes along.

What issues might those be?

Coop1969

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
What are all of these "issues" that you refer too? Mine has the left earbud humm when the screen is on, but that's it. It runs cool, is extremely responsive, has a great camera, great signal, etc.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

dkear

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Umm yeah...and the Razr screen looks "bluish" whether you have it side-by-side to another phone or not...honestly speaking. Also Swype works like a dream on my Rezound.

Tapatalkin on htc Rezound

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

The OTA seems to be causing more issues than it's worth. Here's a short list I've compiled.

- Battery Life
- Earbud/Sound issues that seem to have snuck past the last OTA
- Getting stuck in boot cycles
- As I pointed out, the slow response from Sense in the Rezounds I played with
- The heat issues (when doing a lot via 4g, it would appear)
- Backlight 'leaking' around the bezel
- Issues with the capacitive buttons (staying on, changing color dimming for no reason)
- Notifications/Ringtones resetting at random
- Alarm/snooze issues
- ICS not coming until later in the year (which, in HTC talk, means sometime in 2013)

The only RAZR issues I can see people having:

- Some get bad batteries in units
- The notification light doesn't work while charging since the last OTA
- No ICS

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

Umm yeah...and the Razr screen looks "bluish" whether you have it side-by-side to another phone or not...honestly speaking. Also Swype works like a dream on my Rezound.

Tapatalkin on htc Rezound

I don't deny the bluish hue on bright white. I don't consider it an issue, because no one is complaining on the forum, "My screen looks SO BLUE! I need to get rid of this phone!" To me and many others, the 'blue hue' is negligible and barely noticeable, especially considering if you walk around with the Rezound's screen at 80-100% brightness (where the HD will look the best), you'll be searching for an outlet by noon. I can have the MAXX screen at 100% and be fine for the day, at least. And don't argue the extended battery, because I'll just say I can put my phone in my pocket and not look like I have a goiter on my thigh.

And glad Swype is working great for you. Hypothetically, if it didn't work on the Rezound I would get (which seems to happen with some people), then I would be out of luck as HTC doesn't support Swype. So, why possibly deal with that headache when it comes pre-installed and I know it works well on the Maxx?

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site

i am admiring the maxx and if it was out around thanksgiving when i got the rezound it would be under strong consideration for me right now. the vanilla razr is not even an option.

the screen is not so bad from what i saw in store. the rezound is definitely better. once indoors or after dark, 20-30% brightness on the rezound looks excellent to me.

swype sucks on my rezound, but thankfully flex t9 is excellent.

it's a close call overall really. i will say though one thing that does push me to sticking with the rezound is the camera. absolutely no review puts the razr camera on par with the rezound in any kind of lower light situation.

curtiswhite

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site

I have the rezound and I have no issues at all. And the camera is superior to any moto cameras. I don't see how anyone can live with the horrible screens that moto puts out.

Sax1031

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site

Google just bought Motorola, so you have to keep that in mind.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site

Google just bought Motorola, so you have to keep that in mind.

agreed. except it was still pending regulatory approval when most of us got our phones, and for those of us just buying now, it just happened to happen today. so products that really have a strong google fingerprint wont be out for a bit.

very very excited for that though. add a few more verys in there too.

Wobblin30

May 20, 2011
Visit site

it's a close call overall really. i will say though one thing that does push me to sticking with the rezound is the camera. absolutely no review puts the razr camera on par with the rezound in any kind of lower light situation.

Agreed, the camera on the rezound is much better than what the Razr is offering.

jmk32

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

The last time I went to a Verizon store before purchasing my Rezound the 2 demo Rezound units they had out were both messed up - really laggy and touchscreen not responding well. Not sure what's up with their demos (abused?), but my Rezound has been great - snappy, good battery life on 4g all day and zero problems before and after the last OTA update.

So I wouldn't judge too much on abused demo models at the store that have been played with for over a month...

isdaako

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site

The last time I went to a Verizon store before purchasing my Rezound the 2 demo Rezound units they had out were both messed up - really laggy and touchscreen not responding well.

I had the same issue.

boomerbsg

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
What issues might those be?

My main issue is the absolute bar none crudiest battery life of the rezound.. you name it I've tried it.. nothing helps I often times use both my extended batteries just to male it through an average day..

This is my first non moto droid... And my last. Every moto I have had has always given great battery life.. my first foray from moto, will likely be the last..

Ps..
Skyrim fan?