A little embarassed.....

chaosisnow

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
I've been with Android since the G1....and I love the OS as it evolves. My question might be redundant or it could've been addressed before, so here it goes...........task killers or task managers!!!! I don't use one but I want any or everyone's opinion....to finally put this to rest....!!

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Useless.

Android managers it's memory in a different manner than we're used to. While android does keep apps in memory, it is only as a caching intent. If the app is commonly used it is kept in memory to improve app performance. If the memory becomes needed by another app, the cache will be dumped.

Task killers often advertise that they save battery as well, but it's 99% incorrect. While an app is stored in android memory and not currently using CPU cycles, it does not use any additional power.

The contenders for best way to get better battery life is usually either reduce screen brightness, switch to wifi when available, or remove carrier installed "bloat" apps. (In no particular order)

chaosisnow

Mar 21, 2012
Visit site
Useless.

Android managers it's memory in a different manner than we're used to. While android does keep apps in memory, it is only as a caching intent. If the app is commonly used it is kept in memory to improve app performance. If the memory becomes needed by another app, the cache will be dumped.

Task killers often advertise that they save battery as well, but it's 99% incorrect. While an app is stored in android memory and not currently using CPU cycles, it does not use any additional power.

The contenders for best way to get better battery life is usually either reduce screen brightness, switch to wifi when available, or remove carrier installed "bloat" apps. (In no particular order)

I understand so far....but I have another question. When I exit an app or activity, I use the return button. Should I use the home button instead? I have my screen brightness set to auto for most of the time and occasionally set it to 25%. WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS are off. Now that being said.....overall quickness of the phone can greatly be increased if the bloatware is to be removed, is that an option we can expect when ICS arrives? Will the rezound truly be able to use its dual-core, instead of using one as a dump off? Thanks a million!!

xxfallacyxx

Bearded
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently on ICS with my Rezound and it's smooth.

Returning to your home screen using the back button or the home button has the same effect in most cases. Either way the app will be left cached in case you want to open it up again soon.

Concerning bloat, don't expect VZW to remove any or a lot when ICS becomes official. Rooting and disabling the apps yourself is the method of choice.

If you're in an area with wifi, it's better to use wifi than mobile data. The reason being is signal strength and how far the signal must be broadcast in order to reach a tower or access point. On a wifi network generally the phone only needs to transmit a distance of less than 100' at most. A cell phone tower on the other hand can be much further.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I actually use the stock manager for utility purposes. Whenever an app starts acting up without force closing, it is an easy way to get the job done. I don't use it in the traditional sense though...

Anonymous7532479

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I keep the HTC task manager handy, but I don't use it every 10 minutes. People say that drains the battery more than having the apps running in the background.

I probably go in to the task manager once or twice a day to "clean up". But, honestly, sometimes I don't even bother - unless I know I've been using certain apps that kill it quicker.

I usually hit home for a lot of the simple apps, but there are some I always make sure are closed up when I'm finished.

-mcskipp

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I've been with Android since the G1....and I love the OS as it evolves. My question might be redundant or it could've been addressed before, so here it goes...........task killers or task managers!!!! I don't use one but I want any or everyone's opinion....to finally put this to rest....!!

Put it to rest.... Oh Brother!

I am glad to see all responses to this being don't use them. Maybe soon the same will happen with Juice Defender as well!

Dovahkiin

One Man Wolfpack
Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
I thought we did this since Android 2.0. People keep beating the dead horse.
As the consensus goes, the answer is no.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bethel