Horrible voice quality when on shoulder

fiend2386

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, I've had my Rez for about a month now and I keep getting complaints that people can't understand me and voice keeps going "digital sounding." This only happens when I prop the phone between my ear and shoulder, or hold it sideways. Is this a normal thing with this phone, or should i go and try to get it handled. Thanks for the help everyone.

Issemann

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I've held the phone in that position on a few calls and no one has said anything about poor voice quality. Make a few test calls with a friend and see if you can pin-point the issue. You may want to go to a Verizon store and see what they say - just for s & giggles.

kulkaholic

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
My guess is that you may be squeezing the phone to much (unintentionally of course).

What do you mean by holding it sideways? Like laying it flat on a table?

fiend2386

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
My guess is that you may be squeezing the phone to much (unintentionally of course).

What do you mean by holding it sideways? Like laying it flat on a table?

Holding in the similar position to when it's on my shoulder. Face up, at a roughly 45 degree angle. Basically in a spot where the mic hole is farther away than normal. It's not an uncommon phone position though, so I wouldn't think it would be a problem. My DINC was pretty incredible (no pun intended) with that, so I figured the Rez would be ok.

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Do you hold it on your left shoulder? When I do that my wife complains about not hearing me. Put it on my right shoulder and I'm cool. Not sure why it is, but it is what it is.

putney1477

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
Do you hold it on your left shoulder? When I do that my wife complains about not hearing me. Put it on my right shoulder and I'm cool. Not sure why it is, but it is what it is.

This is.interesting..... I've had family members ans friends say they can't hear me when I have the phone up to my right ear. As soon as I switdh tmy left ear, all is good.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

kulkaholic

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
If you are having problems with a phone and people not hearing you properly in odd positions by the shear physics of the phone it will rarely be a problem with the phone.

Most likely it is the position that you are holding the phone. Like switching hands to a non-dominant hand you may hold the phone differently.

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
It is my observation that it is both a phone and operator error. What I mean is that I have observed that if one holds the phone in a less than optimal position that call quality will suffer. My wife does this all the time. She shifts the phone position and I can barely hear her, or it sounds like she is talking under water. It probably has to do with the microphone pickup.

fiend2386

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
It is my observation that it is both a phone and operator error. What I mean is that I have observed that if one holds the phone in a less than optimal position that call quality will suffer. My wife does this all the time. She shifts the phone position and I can barely hear her, or it sounds like she is talking under water. It probably has to do with the microphone pickup.

If you are having problems with a phone and people not hearing you properly in odd positions by the shear physics of the phone it will rarely be a problem with the phone.

Most likely it is the position that you are holding the phone. Like switching hands to a non-dominant hand you may hold the phone differently.

I understand most of this, but I don't get why I "upgraded" from a phone that could handle talking in any way shape or form, to a phone that i can't do one of the most common phone moves in existence (the shoulder to head pin). Every phone I've had could handle that (Even my Storm!). I just can't wrap my head around it being a normal occurrence with the Rez. It's too good in every other aspect to have a deficiency in such a common area.

idiotekniques

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
this happens to both my business partner and i who both came from droid x's. it's a problem with the phone IMO. and ridiculous. it has to be with something in the rear of the phone because we both do not cover the mic at the bottom or the side. it sounds like we both go very far away and are not understood at all. this and the BT issue with so many headsets better be fixed when official ICS comes out.

saabguy2005

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site

I respectfully disagree...I have owned ? of verizons phones... this is the only phone I have ever received complaints regularly on while using on either shoulder. I get reminded by others when I slightly hold it away from my mouth. the mic is simply unacceptable!:mad:

jakedsnk

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I get complaints from several people about this and I have tried holding it several different ways. It also has been the same problem with 2 different rezounds. Doesnt have to be on my shoulder either.

import87

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, I've had my Rez for about a month now and I keep getting complaints that people can't understand me and voice keeps going "digital sounding." This only happens when I prop the phone between my ear and shoulder, or hold it sideways. Is this a normal thing with this phone, or should i go and try to get it handled. Thanks for the help everyone.

I hope this helps,
I started having this same issue about a week after I got my Rezound. Went in and complained a few times and after replacing the back cover w/o any change eventually got someone who knew what they were talking about. In Settings->Call, turn off "Voice Privacy". This seemed to cause problems even though it is meant to help block out noises during a call. Might be worth a try. I have no problems now.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
What I want to know is how do you physically prop a cell phone between your ear and shoulder? The only way I can do it is by raising my arm way up in the air to get my shoulder close enough to my head or by bending my neck way over. Even then I don't trust that the phone is very secure without smashing it into your ear. Regardless, the entire thing feels uncomfortable and not very practical. Am I missing something to do it properly (not that I really want to)? :confused:

acedzero

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Think of it as something you would typically do on a landline phone. I'm broad shouldered, so I don't have a problem doing it. Sometimes I just need both hands free, it can be for 30 seconds or 30 minutes....

pheatton

Mar 30, 2010
Visit site
Monday night on the way home and this morning while taking and just holding the phone I was getting complaints about call quality. I was having issues on my end hear them also. Im thinking about running the update as it states that it improves call quality.

Great signal in the areas I was talking and on the way home Monday I was using my BT headset...

McFAtts

Oct 3, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem, and I went to the store, guy gave me tech support line. Called tech support and they said the phone was not designed to be held that way, so it's not a warranty issue and they will not send a replacement. If I use my wife or daughters phone, it works fine e on my shoulder, just not on my phone. Verizons solution: go buy a Bluetooth headset. Well done verizon...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ramhja11