Don't be jealous of the SG3

russ8128

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
So I decided to save one of my unlimited plans and pre-ordered the SG3. I've had the Rezound since December (thank you Costco for the $50 offer). Pretty happy with the device and LTE speeds. Some issues with HTC mail not working well with my Exchange account though... Figured i'd give Samsung a try. Now I'm only in day 2 of my "experiment" but I can say that i'm not impressed. Truthfully, (although this may be blasphemy on this forum), I was hoping to get the Motorolo HD Fighter (or whatever they're calling it nowadays) as I had great luck with my Droid X. So here are my initial thoughts so far:

1. Radio is so much poorer than the Rezound (and Moto). I consistently got 4 bars of LTE at home. Now I"m down to 1 bar 1x...Ugh...

2. Email issues again - although now both my exchange and POP3 accounts are getting error messages ("security update required to access account")

3. !st day battery life not any better than the crappy Rezound. The jury is still out as it usually takes a few days to stabilize the battery and I"m sure the service and email issues are hurting this as well.

4. Screen is nice and bright - I was worried but they are both comparable to my eyes - Rezound is probably a bit whiter so text looks better but pictures & web are ok.

5. Performance is a wash in everyday use - I know that the SG3 is "faster" but in my use so far i've never really encountered much if any issue with my "slower" Rezound

I should say that i'm running both stock with some widgets installed and apps, but no rooting or anything else that would affect that perspective.

sniktawm

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I have to admit it's a nice phone. What turns me off on getting one is that it's over-saturated in the market, like the lame iPhone. All I read or hear is SG3 this and SG3 that. Only good thing about it is that it can be rooted.

Cares

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I have to admit it's a nice phone. What turns me off on getting one is that it's over-saturated in the market, like the lame iPhone. All I read or hear is SG3 this and SG3 that. Only good thing about it is that it can be rooted.

Yea just rootable ...that and it's the fastest phone on every major carrier in the US.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So I decided to save one of my unlimited plans and pre-ordered the SG3. I've had the Rezound since December (thank you Costco for the $50 offer). Pretty happy with the device and LTE speeds. Some issues with HTC mail not working well with my Exchange account though... Figured i'd give Samsung a try. Now I'm only in day 2 of my "experiment" but I can say that i'm not impressed. Truthfully, (although this may be blasphemy on this forum), I was hoping to get the Motorolo HD Fighter (or whatever they're calling it nowadays) as I had great luck with my Droid X. So here are my initial thoughts so far:

1. Radio is so much poorer than the Rezound (and Moto). I consistently got 4 bars of LTE at home. Now I"m down to 1 bar 1x...Ugh...

2. Email issues again - although now both my exchange and POP3 accounts are getting error messages ("security update required to access account")

3. !st day battery life not any better than the crappy Rezound. The jury is still out as it usually takes a few days to stabilize the battery and I"m sure the service and email issues are hurting this as well.

4. Screen is nice and bright - I was worried but they are both comparable to my eyes - Rezound is probably a bit whiter so text looks better but pictures & web are ok.

5. Performance is a wash in everyday use - I know that the SG3 is "faster" but in my use so far i've never really encountered much if any issue with my "slower" Rezound

I should say that i'm running both stock with some widgets installed and apps, but no rooting or anything else that would affect that perspective.

1. It really depends. There were areas where the Rez would drop signal, gs3 maintained signal, Others gs3 dropped signal, Rez maintained. overall though, i would say the Rez is slightly better yes, but not much better. One thing is that the gs3 is more finicky when holding the phone and the gs3 lte radio is at the bottom and gs3 lte diversity radio is at the top, so if you put your hands at those locations, then it would get a weaker signal. The Rez was less finicky with regard to how you hold your phone. So a plus for the Rez there.

3. Screen on time uses less batteries on my gs3 vs. my Rez. and gs3 battery, in my usage, lasts longer. but of course, if you are getting a very marginal signal on any phone, then it would drain batteries quick.

4. the rez screen is sharper for sure. not a huge deal though. the larger screen on the gs3 is nice for me though.

5. gs3 seems smoother than rez. rez is no slouch though.

overall, the main reason i got it was because of unlimited data. otherwise, i would have waited for another phone.

Last edited:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

The hype machine will stop soon. The difference between this super phone and the last super phone is that you have ALL the carriers advertising it instead of just one or two.

Does anyone think this might have been a "dry run" for Google with running out the Nexus to all carriers or is my "conspiracy theory" running wild today?

vinny jr

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
SGS3 is one great phone. I have it on my T-Mobile account. Live in the Boston area and this thing is pushing over 15 MB down and 5 MB up during a busy day. Those are very fast speeds on HSPA+ Network getting great battery life. My Rezound is pushing around 18 to 22 MB down during the day and you know how the battery goes with LTE. The Rezound on T-Mobile has very strong signal strength, always four bars in my area. Love it, I also think the Rezound is a great device but I refuse to root it because I like it that much stock. When we get ICS this should push this thing over the top, I hope.
Good Luck to all,
Vinny

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You have the Rezound on t Mobile and it is not rooted? How'd you do that?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
1. It really depends. There were areas where the Rez would drop signal, gs3 maintained signal, Others gs3 dropped signal, Rez maintained. overall though, i would say the Rez is slightly better yes, but not much better. One thing is that the gs3 is more finicky when holding the phone and the gs3 lte radio is at the bottom and gs3 lte diversity radio is at the top, so if you put your hands at those locations, then it would get a weaker signal. The Rez was less finicky with regard to how you hold your phone. So a plus for the Rez there.

3. Screen on time uses less batteries on my gs3 vs. my Rez. and gs3 battery, in my usage, lasts longer. but of course, if you are getting a very marginal signal on any phone, then it would drain batteries quick.

4. the rez screen is sharper for sure. not a huge deal though. the larger screen on the gs3 is nice for me though.

5. gs3 seems smoother than rez. rez is no slouch though.

overall, the main reason i got it was because of unlimited data. otherwise, i would have waited for another phone.

I would agree with 2 thru 5, so far. I love the thiness and form factor but the weight is hard to get used to for me. It's so darn light it makes me nervous using it unless I'm stationary. It's slipped outta my hands twice now(into my lap, no biggie). On the signal/data end, I think I gotta swap mine out tomorrow, the radios in it are deplorable. Tried a new sim but no change. I have never experienced any phone on VZW that dropped calls and data like this thing does. I usually see 7-10up on the Rez but the S3 is pretty much maxxing out at <3up when it's connected to LTE. I've dropped six calls since the 14th, never lost one on the Rez. I do notice data has been a bit funky on my Rez, lately as well. Nothing close to the S3, though. Anyone else noticed a pattern of odd signal & data connectivity fluctuations on both phones? I'm not sure if that's a reason for the lackluster signal on the S3 or what. Guess I swap and find out if Sammie radios are still crapola.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would agree with 2 thru 5, so far. I love the thiness and form factor but the weight is hard to get used to for me. It's so darn light it makes me nervous using it unless I'm stationary. It's slipped outta my hands twice now(into my lap, no biggie). On the signal/data end, I think I gotta swap mine out tomorrow, the radios in it are deplorable. Tried a new sim but no change. I have never experienced any phone on VZW that dropped calls and data like this thing does. I usually see 7-10up on the Rez but the S3 is pretty much maxxing out at <3up when it's connected to LTE. I've dropped six calls since the 14th, never lost one on the Rez. I do notice data has been a bit funky on my Rez, lately as well. Nothing close to the S3, though. Anyone else noticed a pattern of odd signal & data connectivity fluctuations on both phones? I'm not sure if that's a reason for the lackluster signal on the S3 or what. Guess I swap and find out if Sammie radios are still crapola.

odd, my data speeds i have hit 50s several times(around 59 max on gs3, 61 max on rez). speed seems to be on par with my Rezound in areas with decent signal. in areas without decent signal, it kinda depends, some areas Rez is better, some areas gs3 is better. how you hold the phone and direction of the phone sometimes matters especially in weak areas. in my usage, Rez radio is better, but not a huge amount.

jimbl

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm not in the market for a new phone, but when I am I won't consider a Samsung phone until there has been a clear improvement in their radios.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm not in the market for a new phone, but when I am I won't consider a Samsung phone until there has been a clear improvement in their radios.

yeah you know what? i was big on "the SoC is going to turn things around for the radios in Samsung"

Not so much I see...

russ8128

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
A little update. I had the sim card replaced due to the reception issues. Figured that may help.

Only a bit better but still not nearly as good as the Rezound. I removed the exchange account, deleted the SG3 from my service provider and then added the account. No problems since I've done that...

If the issues continue with the reception, I'm going to have to go back to the Rezound as the phone part is VERY important to me. I can't have any dropped calls, etc on a regular basis. We'll see....

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
A little update. I had the sim card replaced due to the reception issues. Figured that may help.

Only a bit better but still not nearly as good as the Rezound. I removed the exchange account, deleted the SG3 from my service provider and then added the account. No problems since I've done that...

If the issues continue with the reception, I'm going to have to go back to the Rezound as the phone part is VERY important to me. I can't have any dropped calls, etc on a regular basis. We'll see....

The phone is warrantied, if you still have a problem, I would get a replacement first.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Almost bought the S3, but came to my senses about the Locked bootloader. In reality, I'm jealous of every S3 NOT on verizon. So what if they are selling an unlocked version. It only matters if it's unlocked for enough people to develop it. Its a shame really that VZW continues to dump on us all.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
SGS3 is one great phone. I have it on my T-Mobile account. Live in the Boston area and this thing is pushing over 15 MB down and 5 MB up during a busy day. Those are very fast speeds on HSPA+ Network getting great battery life. My Rezound is pushing around 18 to 22 MB down during the day and you know how the battery goes with LTE. The Rezound on T-Mobile has very strong signal strength, always four bars in my area. Love it, I also think the Rezound is a great device but I refuse to root it because I like it that much stock. When we get ICS this should push this thing over the top, I hope.
Good Luck to all,
Vinny

I want to go back to this post, he says he is getting data usage on a non rooted Rezound running on T Mobile.

Sent from my iPhone 4 (while my HTC Rezound charges! LOL ) using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87