This whole "un-contract" concept

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would have stayed for something along those lines. I had two smartphones, one with unlimted LTE the other with 2GB, and a third dumbphone. 700 min, unlimted text and it came to $198 a month including taxes. Wasn't worth staying since the data speeds dropped to about 5-8 mbps on LTE, and the coverage in my area is not any better than AT&T or T-Mobile. I get about 1.5 mbps on T-Mobile but for about $45 a month buying refills online is a better deal for me.

You could have done that to your line, If you wanted to

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I have a 700 minute family plan, using it partially for work. In any case, doesn't seem close to $110. :(

Going with 700-minute plan
$70 for 2 lines
$20 for 2 additional lines
$30 for unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE

Total is $120

You can save an additional $10 moving to the 550 minute plan

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
You could have done that to your line, If you wanted to

Problem was that we were using about 650 min a month. I think on my contract it was .20 a min over, so even going to 550 wouldn't have been much cheaper at $20 for every 100 min over. Actually had to use the landline for a few days one month when we used 698 min.

chubb

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
I would, but unfortunately there is no carrier that fits my budget:thumbdown:

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

I hear that. What these phones cost is insane. My old verizon bill was more than my car payment! My car is something I need for work, a smartphone is not something I need, it is a want. I couldn't justify paying that much anymore. We need Google to get into wireless. Give me something like 15-20mbps LTE unthrottled and unlimited talk and text for $80 or $100 a month and I'll be all in :)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Problem was that we were using about 650 min a month. I think on my contract it was .20 a min over, so even going to 550 wouldn't have been much cheaper at $20 for every 100 min over. Actually had to use the landline for a few days one month when we used 698 min.

If is an option for those who use few minutes, i never come close to my 550 min plan

pcabe5

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I sadly think that we are going to have to start looking at our phones like we do our computers, because most people cannot afford to go out and buy new computers every two years.

It is a bait and switch industry. Get everyone hooked on smartphones and then ramp up the prices of everything.
:-$

I have been saying that for awhile as well. Your laptop isn't outdated because it can be upgraded at anytime by the software owners. Smartphones are no different and we should get updates when they come out not when a mfg decides. Does HP, DELL decide your updates or does your internet provider like Comcast decide when they will allow an update on their network.

This is why we most likely will not see another Nexus on Verizon until the network opens in a few years.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I have been saying that for awhile as well. Your laptop isn't outdated because it can be upgraded at anytime by the software owners. Smartphones are no different and we should get updates when they come out not when a mfg decides. Does HP, DELL decide your updates or does your internet provider like Comcast decide when they will allow an update on their network.

This is why we most likely will not see another Nexus on Verizon until the network opens in a few years.

I agree completely. We should be able to get all the new Android updates, even if there is a minimal charge. I should be able to have Jelly Bean without rooting. I should also be able to take my phone to any other carrier.

While I am at it, can someone explain what it means to have a phone that is unlocked and is this something Verizon allows?

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
well considered a court already proved the uncarrier branding is a bait n switch tactic. T-Mobile has to be more clear and let folks know that technically your still under contract. and folks who signed up when it went live is eligible for a rebate. also if u only stay in your city with T-Mobile h+service your good well maybe. but there's a reason why T-Mobile is a second class carrier. there network is a joke. my nexus 4 spend more time tethered to my vzw Galaxy nexus because T-Mobile sucks

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
well considered a court already proved the uncarrier branding is a bait n switch tactic. T-Mobile has to be more clear and let folks know that technically your still under contract. and folks who signed up when it went live is eligible for a rebate. also if u only stay in your city with T-Mobile h+service your good well maybe. but there's a reason why T-Mobile is a second class carrier. there network is a joke. my nexus 4 spend more time tethered to my vzw Galaxy nexus because T-Mobile sucks

Posted via Android Central App

What service contract are new T-Mobile customers now bound to?

Just like a car financing, you'd still have to pay off the bank to fully own the car. You can now choose how long you want to be bound to T-Mobile's toll-road.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
What service contract are new T-Mobile customers now bound to?

Just like a car financing, you'd still have to pay off the bank to fully own the car. You can now choose how long you want to be bound to T-Mobile's toll-road.

According to the court, when you end service with tmo, you must pay off the balance of what is owed on the phone. If this is true, this is somewhat similar to etf.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
According to the court, when you end service with tmo, you must pay off the balance of what is owed on the phone. If this is true, this is somewhat similar to etf.

Are there options on returning the phone that is still being financed?

Can you continue paying the phone off in monthly installments vs. one lump sum?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Are there options on returning the phone that is still being financed?

Can you continue paying the phone off in monthly installments vs. one lump sum?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

I don't see any option other the full payment.

"

If I cancel my service, what happens to my Equipment Installment Plan balance?
If you elect to cancel service, all remaining installment charges will appear on your final bill.

http://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-1674

rootbrain

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
How do you get 5 lines with those plans on verizon for $65?!?!?!?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Was just going to ask this. Other is no way 2 unlimited data phones and 3 others is $65.

I have unlimited on 1 phone and 4 without data and it's $175.

Rootbrain

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Was just going to ask this. Other is no way 2 unlimited data phones and 3 others is $65.

I have unlimited on 1 phone and 4 without data and it's $175.

Rootbrain

As I said before, this factors in $15 per line cost of the subsidy, to make it comparable to the uncarrier plan, which doesn't include a subsidy.

The actual price I pay is $140 for the 2 smartphones (one with unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE) and 3 dumb phones.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I sadly think that we are going to have to start looking at our phones like we do our computers, because most people cannot afford to go out and buy new computers every two years.

I'm already there. I've passed up opportunities to upgrade already. Too much b.s. going on with account changes & threats of losing unlimited, etc. I simply do not want to extend my commitments to Verizon any further, right now.

I'm just glad I rooted because now my Rez does far more for me -- it's become good enough for the long haul.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm already there. I've passed up opportunities to upgrade already... I simply do not want to extend my commitments to Verizon any further, right now... it's become good enough for the long haul.
I gave up my unlimited data in a bid to reduce my monthly bill. I saved $30 on the 2GB plan. It's only $20 if I go 3GB. The fact of it is we really don't use data much. She doesn't even know what her phone is capable of so besides FB she plays games. I use the hell out of my phone but usually I'm Wi-Fi, but I don't limit myself or try to only use it on Wi-Fi. Where the new plan is saving us is the minutes. She used 450 of our 500 minutes every month. It got to the point she would text me and say not to make any calls because she was waiting on one and didn't know how many minutes it would take. (Yeah, it was like that.) I thought with the Inc I could be happy with one phone beyond the contract, but I got swept up in the hype of new and shinny. If something really special comes down the pipe I'll jump in Aug. Otherwise I'll hang out for awhile. I just don't expect it to be for long. Just being honest with you and myself. Wish I had TBolt's patience.

GKWANNABE

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm with ALL of you folks who replied. I am already due for an upgrade on Verizon and passed. My contract ends at the end of this month (May 30th) and I have been researching and looking around for the best deal for my next phone and/or plan. I currently have Verizons old $30 Unl Data & Text with 450 mins Talk time. I know I can't upgrade because I would have to give up my Unl data and switch to their new plans. I've thought about T-Mobile but, paying for an expensive phone over 24 months is crazy. Yes, it'll be through installments i.e $70 Unl Everything plan plus $20 a month for 24 mos plus one of their insurances if I would opt for one of the newer phones (Samsung Galaxy S IV or HTC One). I've thought about buying a phone outright, preferably Googles Nexus 4 by LG for $350.00 through Google Play. At the moment I am currently stuck on what to do. These carriers are getting crazy and monopolizing has gotten out of hand. I just read online that T-Mobile is looking HARD to purchasing Metro PCS soon, which will make all Metro PCS phone inoperable. Don't ask me how but thats all the specific information the site gave as far as Metro PCS current mobile customers. So T-Mobile is trying hard to broaden their network and compete with the heavy-weight champ in Verizon Wireless. I just might go backward and get a flip phone as I already have a Nexus 7.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa