Clean Install / Let update do it?

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Just curious if anyone has any insight on best option for when the upcoming update does arrive to ensure we carry over no previous files / issues in how to do best clean install.

Should I need to go in and uncheck options for "Privacy" menu and after not backing up my settings / automatic restore of apps do a factory reset. After that then accept the OTA update? Or does none of this matter as update will put my phone back into factory reset state?

Just know I was told directly by HTC support that if you had any app / phone issues you DO NOT want to carry over anything from a backup standpoint cause it can cause corruption if new update has different version of software, settings ect ect. So just looking for best and safest option in preperation for the pending OTA update.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Kinda hard to answer this question considering that no one knows for sure what the "next OTA update" will bring.

In any case, you shouldn't have to do anything special for any OTA update. And there won't be any options like "clean install" verses "overwrite", etc. The OTA update process is simply a seamless update. Be it OS (i.e. GB) or fix (i.e. MR2).

-Frank

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
So is is generally better to trust apps will handle the OTA updates with no issue if you use Market & Amazon App Market or should you not backup the apps / settings and start from scratch? I just hear it from both sides of people saying they had issues and corruption of apps when major OTA comes and upgrades Android to new version. I like many others just want least ammount of issues I could save myself from, so if simply unchecking a few restore settings saves me headache I have no problem making those adjustments before hand.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
So is is generally better to trust apps will handle the OTA updates with no issue if you use Market & Amazon App Market or should you not backup the apps / settings and start from scratch? I just hear it from both sides of people saying they had issues and corruption of apps when major OTA comes and upgrades Android to new version. I like many others just want least ammount of issues I could save myself from, so if simply unchecking a few restore settings saves me headache I have no problem making those adjustments before hand.
With OTA updates it's the old "Trust but Verify" trick. Backup your phone (I use My Backup) but do not do a complete restore after the update. You should not have to. Just do the normal auto-reinstalling from the Market if necessary (shouldn't be). You'll have the Backup to selectively manipulate just in case something needs hand massaging. The Backup is for emergencies. Shouldn't be needed for an OTA update.

After you are satisfied that all is well with the new OTA update, Backup AGAIN with all the new settings/apps, as applicable.

-Frank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89