Verizon (update) sorry Verizon

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Re: Verizon (greedy)

I agree it's a bs charge, just the text message charge, Verizon charges 20 cents to receive a message from anyone inside the US, including someone on Verizon's network. Outside the US, I was charged 5 cents to receive a text message from half way around the world. Or, better yet,
just like them charging over $20,000 for 1GB of data in some locations outside the US. There are a lot of bs charges out there. If you don't plan ahead, you can get royally screwed by bs charges.

I 100% agree with the SMS charges, which at this point are almost the same on most carriers plans that do not include any SMS package. Its overall a huge scam in which every carrier world-wide is involved.

That being said, Global Roaming is a completely different animal. The reason those prices get so out of control is because global roaming agreements between carriers gets extremely pricey. While Vodafone is a part owner of Verizon Wireless, and so gives them good global rates, other carriers such as O2 are not as friendly. It is because of this that data especially comes at a premium... Blame the international carriers that are price-gouging, not Verizon, for the $20,000 per GB.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I agree it gets pricey, but I don't believe that Verizon is paying anywhere close to $20,000 per GB for it, especially, using UK, it's still the same $20,000 per GB pay per use. If they said "up to $20,000 per GB depending on actual costs plus XX markup" then it'd be reasonable, but I think, as it is, they're making a killing off international data for any poor soul who accidentally used international data without fully realizing the costs. And the $20,000 charge per GB applies even if you use a Vodaphone sim provided by Verizon wireless on Vodaphone's network. At this case, if they had the consumer's interest at heart, tell them to either use gsm mode on the phone, if the phone supports it, or better yet, outright buy a phone that's supported in the country you are going to, and pay for data that way, you'd be much better off.

Even domestic, does it really cost them 45 cents per minute for a domestic call over your allowance on a plan? If I do it right, I can use AT&T and pay well under 1% of the 45 cents Verizon charges(different service of course). That too is a major ripoff, not nearly close to as much as sms...

Don't get me wrong, Verizon has a right to charge whatever rate they feel. They are certainly not the only company to have outrageous charges. We as the consumer must educate ourselves and protect ourselves from outrageous charges

I 100% agree with the SMS charges, which at this point are almost the same on most carriers plans that do not include any SMS package. Its overall a huge scam in which every carrier world-wide is involved.

That being said, Global Roaming is a completely different animal. The reason those prices get so out of control is because global roaming agreements between carriers gets extremely pricey. While Vodafone is a part owner of Verizon Wireless, and so gives them good global rates, other carriers such as O2 are not as friendly. It is because of this that data especially comes at a premium... Blame the international carriers that are price-gouging, not Verizon, for the $20,000 per GB.

Last edited:

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

You blew it when you didn't get the phone back to them in a reasonable time frame. I can't agree with you that its just a few days.

On the other hand, I'm about to join you in going elsewhere for service. I've only been with VZW for two years but ever since I started all I've heard from Verizon is that they are taking way some perk. First, NE2 was taken away, return time was reduced, then tiered data and yes I'm grandfathered but what if I want to add a new line? So far, its just been Verizon taking and taking and taking. I have to admit I stayed this long for the service but I realize that I am seldom in an area where Sprint doesn't have service also so I'm going to be looking at that. My decision to move isn't written in stone - yet, but Verizon has been pissing me off for some time and the best way for me to respond is by no longer giving them my money.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

You blew it when you didn't get the phone back to them in a reasonable time frame. I can't agree with you that its just a few days.

On the other hand, I'm about to join you in going elsewhere for service. I've only been with VZW for two years but ever since I started all I've heard from Verizon is that they are taking way some perk. First, NE2 was taken away, return time was reduced, then tiered data and yes I'm grandfathered but what if I want to add a new line? So far, its just been Verizon taking and taking and taking. I have to admit I stayed this long for the service but I realize that I am seldom in an area where Sprint doesn't have service also so I'm going to be looking at that. My decision to move isn't written in stone - yet, but Verizon has been pissing me off for some time and the best way for me to respond is by no longer giving them my money.

ne2 was reduced a year or two ago, and completely removed along with annual upgrade i think early January. one year contracts were removed mid April.

last year, they forced even low end marginally data capable phones onto data plans after a certain date, including some clamshell phones.

Drootz

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site

Guys the point isn't that I was charged. I returned the phone, 6 days after they had it back they decided hey he returned it late let's charge him 570.00. None of the paperwork mentioned states that if you return it late you don't get credited the price of the phone. And they had the phone for a week before they charged me. If I kept the phone I could see be billed. I don't know about you but I am busy 5 days is not enough.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

WOW, I can't believe they charged you after it had been back for 6 days, even if it was returned late it was still, in the end returned and a credit should be issued back to you (IMO) maybe minus some small service fee of say $30. For VZW having to put the charge on your account in the first place. But I can't see any logical reason why they shouldn't now credit you for the return....

If they won't remove the charge then DEMAND that they return the phone to you since you are paying for it anyway. That's what I would do. Then just sell it to make up the difference.

Either your account should be credited or send you the late returned phone back as they are charging you full price for it anyway.....

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

I agree it gets pricey, but I don't believe that Verizon is paying anywhere close to $20,000 per GB for it, especially, using UK, it's still the same $20,000 per GB pay per use. If they said "up to $20,000 per GB depending on actual costs plus XX markup" then it'd be reasonable, but I think, as it is, they're making a killing off international data for any poor soul who accidentally used international data without fully realizing the costs. And the $20,000 charge per GB applies even if you use a Vodaphone sim provided by Verizon wireless on Vodaphone's network. At this case, if they had the consumer's interest at heart, tell them to either use gsm mode on the phone, if the phone supports it, or better yet, outright buy a phone that's supported in the country you are going to, and pay for data that way, you'd be much better off.

Even domestic, does it really cost them 45 cents per minute for a domestic call over your allowance on a plan? If I do it right, I can use AT&T and pay well under 1% of the 45 cents Verizon charges(different service of course). That too is a major ripoff, not nearly close to as much as sms...

Don't get me wrong, Verizon has a right to charge whatever rate they feel. They are certainly not the only company to have outrageous charges. We as the consumer must educate ourselves and protect ourselves from outrageous charges

I agree with you there... I may work for Verizon, but that does not mean I have to agree with whatever asinine prices they come up with... One of the things I was told in the meeting almost a year ago during Verizon's plans for LTE was moving to a technology that the world was adopting, which was to cheapen international roaming to promote a more unified global communications platform.

Now with that said, who actually believes international roaming with get *that* much cheaper once everyone is purely on LTE?

nerdydesi

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site

I agree, they keep taking away perks and benefits for customers but I don't see them adding anything beneficial. You are right about them reducing the return period from 30 to 14 days, killing off the NE2 program, getting rid of free overnight shipping for CLNR units, reducing the return period for CLNR exchanges from 10 to 5 days, etc. This has all been done this year alone, and I would have to put up with customers unhappy at all these changes when I was recently working at tech support there.

I also would love to fire their greedy selves and go with a more consumer friendly carrier like Sprint. However if the roles were reversed, where Sprint had 90 million customers and Verizon 30 million, I'm sure Sprint would be just as greedy and Verizon would be trying to win customers with unlimited mobile-to-mobile plans, night minutes starting at 7 vs 9PM, option to remove bloatware from phones, etc.

Verizon may be greedy and evil, but they have a good network, I've had a far better experience with their LTE than Sprint's Wimax. But I would much rather go with unlimited Wimax than 2gb LTE any day! I'll hold onto my unlimited LTE as long as possible.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site

Call them again and be polite. Ask to speak to a supervisor. But they do explain very clearly and they will charge for full retail if not returned in the given time. It also states it on the paperwork. I always set up the return pick-up immediately when having to get a an exchange. I certainly don't want the full price charged to me.
I have sold wireless and customers can be really rude. It isn't necessary in any job to be rude. People forget to be polite and respectful. You can still get your point across.
I had horrible issues with BB and was never rude. Retention offered me an Incredible and I am very happy. Going on 8 months with it and never a problem.
So, be polite and am sure you can get the money credited. If not, then contact a troubleshooter and let them deal with it for you. Your television news stations have troubleshooters that can assist you.

AIRREAK

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I finally got someone on the phone who can read, and all is well in Verizon land.

Long story short they were not trying to charge me for the returned Thunderbolt, they wanted my old beat up LG Voyager. Something got messed up when they sent my replacement Thunderbolt and they were expecting my LG back.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I've been with VZW since the first Motorola flip phone. You know....the one.as big as your home phone. I had the extended battery on that one too! The extended battery alone was bigger than the tb WITH the extended battery!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87