Compelling reasons for firmware update?

bpw

May 18, 2010
Visit site
The update notice got pushed out the other day, but I deferred it and later declined it. One reason is I still use the free wifi hotspot feature some, which I know I'll lose if I allow the update. Aside from supposedly better battery life (any results yet?), are there really any significant reasons to do the update? I haven't had many sporadic reboots, so that's not much of an issue.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
The update notice got pushed out the other day, but I deferred it and later declined it. One reason is I still use the free wifi hotspot feature some, which I know I'll lose if I allow the update. Aside from supposedly better battery life (any results yet?), are there really any significant reasons to do the update? I haven't had many sporadic reboots, so that's not much of an issue.

1) Better radio
2) Eliminate/reduce reboots
3) Will be forced eventually. Why not do it under "controlled" conditions to prevent installation errors

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

my3chis

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Being able to have a full phone call. Not having a reboot disconnet me. That is more important then the FMHS for me because this IS a phone after all.

bpw

May 18, 2010
Visit site
1) Better radio
2) Eliminate/reduce reboots
3) Will be forced eventually. Why not do it under "controlled" conditions to prevent installation errors

1) OK
2) Non-issue: see above
3) I'll deal with it if and when it happens, however I resent your insinuation that problems will occur if I wait.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
...however I resent your insinuation that problems will occur if I wait.
I think it is very likely that problems could occur on an unattended installation. As for "resenting" it, I'm talking about a phone, what are you talking about? The MR2 installation program is very suspect in my mind of being, well, less than "user friendly". Personally, I would not want to leave it to an "autopilot" install.

-Frank

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Like computer updates (service packs or security patches), you either install them or you don't. But keep in mind they are put out for a reason, to fix things that are broken. In the case of smartphones, they are, at some point, required by the carrier for full support of the product. Now granted the MR1 update caused some problems for the TB, but MR2 has been gold. So, I wouldn't paint all updates with the same brush. Software by nature is complex and imperfect, always will be, it's the nature of the beast. Regardless, I'd recommend staying up to date and always do a factor data reset (Master reset) after updating (OTA or full RUU). From my limited experience with smartphones, it sure seems to nip any potential issues in the bud. Also, use the K.I.S.S principle, meaning limit what software/apps you install to keep the complexity down and minimize potential compatibility issues. :)

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
There's no compelling reason if you're not experiencing any problems. For most of the people having reboot problems this seems to have fixed that issue. It might have improved the data connectivity issues for some if not most, perhaps with a little more bias for 3G over 4G. There's also some minor fixes that are not compelling but nice if you like them, for example, icons of programs installed on the microSD card don't disappear any more, fast boot now works in 3G areas and on WiFi. But I don't think the leaked version of video Skype works any more. Really a personal choice until it forces itself onto your phone. Verizon called it a mandatory update so you won't be able to avoid it forever without installing a custom ROM.

Thanks, Robrecht