If the Droid Bionic is as good as advertised...

terminalinfinity

May 18, 2011
Visit site
..I'll probably leave the Thunderbolt for it. I'll wait until the price becomes bearable and it has netflix but I can't wait to have a 4G phone that is fully functional. I left my Droid X because I needed the speed 4G tethering for my computer at work, so I got the thunderbolt a week after it launched. While it's great for tethering up to my computer and getting cable internet speeds on it, I really miss the fact that the Droid X just worked like it should. The screen was responsive, battery was decent, phone was fast with no freezing and there was no random reboots. HTC can't even decide when their giving us gingerbread. I have to hard reset my thunderbolt once a day because it'll get stuck on 1X.

I'm hoping that Motorola can bring the same functionality to the droid bionic and combine it with 4G speed. If so, I'll jump on board ASAP.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I was thinking about trying the Bionic if the problems with the ThunderBolt were not addressed, and my problems were very minor compared to yours. It very much sounds like you have a defective phone. The screen should typically be very responsive on the ThunderBolt. Nor is it known for freezing up. Very few people are still having random reboots after MR2. I've still had a few data connectivity issues, but nowhere near once a day. Battery life is what it is, but there are ways to address it.

Don't assume the Bionic will be 'as good as advertised'. People waiting on the 'Bionic' for months might feel like it will fulfill their every desire, but they just have severely displaced desires if you ask me. It's just a phone, after all. I don't think anyone really knows yet what the dual core processor will be like in real-life everyday use. More RAM is always good but will the new Blur keep it occupied? Battery life should be better. Radio is simpler, like that of the Charge and Revolution so there should be fewer issues to sort out at launch, but there won't be simultaneous voice & data over 3G, which can be nice if you need to tether a laptop in non-4G areas. Sounds like some people will definitely be dissatisfied with the Pentile screen. There's a reason why the first Bionic was not released, but I don't think we know why, and we can only hope that the new Bionic has completely addressed that issue.

In the end, if you can get a well functioning ThunderBolt, I'm doubtful the Bionic will be enough of an upgrade to justify a new purchase. If Verizon offered me the option for issues that could not be fixed and initial reports on the Bionic were good, I would consider it. But most of us don't really have many issues witht the ThunderBolt at this point.

Last edited:

KingChicago

Feb 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm satisfied with the Thunderbolt...but I still want the Bionic.

I'm a tech whore. :p

I definitely understand the frustration that almost all TB owners must feel by now...This was Verizon's first LTE Phone, and they have kind of already put it on the back burner and are taking ages to fix problems.

But, thankfully, the TB Developer community is bloody brilliant. I know people shouldn't "HAVE TO" root a phone to be able to enjoy it, and in the case of the Thunderbolt, use its full capabilities...but the TB is turning into more of an LTE Developer test platform, rather than a stock powerhouse.

Last edited:

z06psi

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I am moving on as soon as it comes out but since the T-bolt cant even take a picture at this point the wife doesn't even want the T-bolt which was our plan.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I am moving on as soon as it comes out but since the T-bolt cant even take a picture at this point the wife doesn't even want the T-bolt which was our plan.

I wouldn't make a blanket statement like that. YOUR thunderbolt can't take pictures, most of ours take pictures without a problem. You have a specific problem that obviously needs to be addressed. My phone has been pretty much perfect, i'll hold on to it for at least the 2 years of my contract before I start looking for a new phone.

Reactions: akira751

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
If the Droid Bionic is as good as advertised... I'll be a monkey's uncle.

If the Thunderbolt was as good as advertised... most of us wouldn't be here....we'd be happily living our lives with the assistance of a cool trouble free smart phone. ;)

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
When I had my previous phone, a WinPro 6.5 Touch Pro2, it had HTC Sense. And it had 256k RAM! Or was it 128k RAM? I loved Sense, but I never really used it because it was such a resource hog. I left my phone on the native Windows interface because it used less resources - HTC Sense would lag so much it became almost unusable. Just selecting a normal menu item would be a 5 second wait.

Anyway, I promised myself that since I liked HTC hardware so much and since I liked HTC Sense so much, that I wanted to upgrade to the first HTC 4G/LTE phone that had enough horsepower to run HTC Sense, fast. That was the Thunderbolt and I have no regrets. This phone is silly fast, AFAIC. I'm done for awhile.

-Frank

h2opoloplyr_11

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
LOL like some of you said, im getting it just to get it! I have no complaints about the tbolt despite some problems (very minor, but no phone is perfect). and if the bionic ends up being better, ill stick with it. Otherwise......im just afraid of commitment! hahaahha!

w00tw00twhat

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I'll be grabbing it as well, i have another upgrade coming up so going to use that on either the bionic or if verizon shows signs of releasing more phones around the holiday season I may hold off. The past christmases they have released a few phones that at the time are there top phones for the year so if I see any better for christmas, hoping for another htc that's duel core, I'll hold off on the bionic. But we shall see.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I paid full price for my Thunderbolt and I am due for an upgrade in September. However, after using HTC Sense and spending money on a car dock and official HTC desktop dock, I am going to keep my Thunderbolt for a while. Especially since Verizon ended the NE2 program.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I admit there is a very slight interest in what the Bionic may bring to the table, primarily from all the hype that has surrounded it and due to all the delays in releasing it. But, it doesn't even get in the ballpark of serious consideration for me mainly because its reported features are underwhelming and the long delay in releasing it puts a bad feeling in my gut. In my mind, Bionic = Jumped the Shark!

nate44

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I doubt if you'll notice any significant difference with everyday usage from dual core to what we have now. Quad core which will be out this time next year along with Ice Cream Sandwich, will be something worth getting excited about.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I doubt if you'll notice any significant difference with everyday usage from dual core to what we have now. Quad core which will be out this time next year along with Ice Cream Sandwich, will be something worth getting excited about.

That's the reason I'm not going all out and changing to a Bionic. Other than the fact that I'm not a fan of MotoBlur, it's the above stuff. I don't consider a dual core processor to be anything life changing over what I have now. But a year from now, I can only imagine what we'll have.

StayFly

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Really interested in getting the bionic it will be my first motorola android phone, my brother and sister in law hates their droid 1 and 2 so i have to see if its valid. Love my thunderbolt no problem except for battery life other than that its great I'm just a phone whore and I paying full price for the bionic too.

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
That's the reason I'm not going all out and changing to a Bionic. Other than the fact that I'm not a fan of MotoBlur, it's the above stuff. I don't consider a dual core processor to be anything life changing over what I have now. But a year from now, I can only imagine what we'll have.

Unless we get the gs2. God that exynos processor is Freaking sick

Sent from my Thunderbolt using tapatalk

Helloneumann

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Was originally interested in the Bionic, but after all the delays bought a TB. I got impatient and had a ne2 for several months just waiting to be used lol. I have no desire to go to the Bionic. The TB does everything I need and more. Now we'll see what next year brings.:)

Reactions: Forgetful

Effenhimer

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Also, I like my unlimited data... If you switch, you automatically go to tiered. I'll wait, (might end up switching companies if they are still on this data cap nonsense.) I still have a year and a half of unlimited so... My choice is already made for me. I use around 4-6gb/mo, my son uses 6-8gb/mo, my niece uses 2-4gb/mo, and I'm the only one on me plan with 4g...