Searching for GPS

CollegePartyBoy

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I only have one issue with my TB, but its a pretty big one. I travel a lot to different cities. When I land, it takes my GPS a minimum of 45 minutes before I'm located. I get the dreaded "Searching for GPS"... It chews up battery life. However, once I'm located, I'm good for as long as I'm in that city. I have tried shutting the phone down and bringing it up, I have tried apps like GPS Status and GPS Fix. GPS Status will show I'm locked onto 9 satellites, but it won't hook me up with the GPS. My local Verizon "expert" said I should dial *228. I've done that and gotten a message that says "A Verizon Wireless SIM card has activated your service and updated your phones roaming capabilities". Nothing. When I arrive back home, it take at least 45 minutes to connect. Sorry, so long, does anyone have any definitive suggestions?

Rav3nCroft

May 12, 2011
Visit site
You should NEVER call *228 on your Thunderbolt... You're local guy is not an "expert". Are you running stock? Do you have all of the OTA updates installed?

.... man, Frank is fast.

chuckh0308

Apr 3, 2011
www.welcomehomeseattle.com
228 is for roaming updates, and it doesn't apply to the 4G LTE phones. The "expert" you talked to wasn't much of an expert...

What GPS app are you using? I get the "searching" quite often with Google Nav, but that's the only app I have trouble with. All the other GPS apps I have work flawlessly 100% of the time, including the regular Google Maps. Just the Nav has issues for me and it's really freaking frustrating! If I reboot it will work fine for a time or two, but then it will go all weird again.

CollegePartyBoy

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
228 is for roaming updates, and it doesn't apply to the 4G LTE phones. The "expert" you talked to wasn't much of an expert...

What GPS app are you using? I get the "searching" quite often with Google Nav, but that's the only app I have trouble with. All the other GPS apps I have work flawlessly 100% of the time, including the regular Google Maps. Just the Nav has issues for me and it's really freaking frustrating! If I reboot it will work fine for a time or two, but then it will go all weird again.
The only service I use is Google Maps. Never had an issue with my Incredible. I got this phone on March 17th, when it went live. Have had problems since.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Frank, I do have1.70.605.0 loaded. It's stock, not rooted.
You might want to make sure you have all location services selected in Menu | Settings | Location. I dunno... I thought virtually everyone's GPS issues were improved/fixed with the latest OTA updates.

I will say, if you are having any kind of data connectivity issues (data icon disappears for a long period of time) that would cause it too. The maps are downloaded via RF, not GPS.

-Frank

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hulkjr77