Data down again?

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
It's your sim card. Replace it. Same thing kept happening to my phone. Replaced sim card and now all is well. :)

Go smack your store rep that replaced that SIM card for wasting your time.

Let me make this VERY clear to everyone: Replacing a SIM card should only be done if the SIM card fails in activation or the SIM card gets physically damaged.

After the SIM is activated, it has no bearing on standard minute-to-minute connections. It only re-authenticates once a month to check for PRL updates, or if you remove the SIM card from the phone for over two minutes.

You know why replacing yours worked? Because the SIM card was out of the phone for over two minutes and new network data had to be downloaded. You could have done this at home simply by taking out the battery and sliding the SIM tray out for over two minutes.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Go smack your store rep that replaced that SIM card for wasting your time.

Let me make this VERY clear to everyone: Replacing a SIM card should only be done if the SIM card fails in activation or the SIM card gets physically damaged.

After the SIM is activated, it has no bearing on standard minute-to-minute connections. It only re-authenticates once a month to check for PRL updates, or if you remove the SIM card from the phone for over two minutes.

You know why replacing yours worked? Because the SIM card was out of the phone for over two minutes and new network data had to be downloaded. You could have done this at home simply by taking out the battery and sliding the SIM tray out for over two minutes.
+1. It is really aggravating to continue to read all this misinformation about how "replacing the SIM card" will fix everything (almost). Just a bunch of voodoo troubleshooting.

Additionally, 9 times out of 10 (probably 99 out of 100) when you see a post about how 4G, or 3G, or Data is "Down in <insert city name here>" it is also erroneous. It's almost never about the city, it's about the phone's radios. This is exactly why, early in this thread when I could see the way it was going, I asked if anyone had tried any of the known radio troubleshooting techniques. Of course, no one answered that. Too busy swapping SIMs down at VZW I guess. Even more astounding is that a number of people called CS and apparently CS doesn't know of the known troubleshooting steps either. Because, if they were accomplished, most of these folks' phones would have got data back. I would cite one post where eHRPD had been manually toggled off at an earlier date, resulting in a long time without data before it was checked (a week? I forgot). Anyway, that would have been a routine troubleshooting check. Basically, I'm about to give up on trying to help when no one will answer what they have tried so far (except to call CS and maybe get a new phone sent to them. :) )

-Frank

Last edited:

Jeenyus

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
4G has been down in Orange County for almost a day. Did reboot and battery/sim pull for longer than 2 min, didn't fix it. Others in area have same issue so it's not my radio

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
4G has been down in Orange County for almost a day. Did reboot and battery/sim pull for longer than 2 min, didn't fix it. Others in area have same issue so it's not my radio
Have you called VZW to verify the outage? You have that many "others" (friends, I guess) that have a 4G phone in that same area to compare to? And theirs is down too? Assuming 3 or more 4G phones unable to connect to 4G in the same area, it probably is a local VZW condition. But VZW should be able to corroborate that if you call them. Otherwise, I might look into other phone radio settings. Even ones that you may have made a long time ago and forgot about. Additionally, a lot of the issue with VZWs 4G is that once you lose it (even if it is a tower issue), the phone may not re-acquire it without manual manipulation. Sometimes more than just a reboot. You could check the LTE settings, the eHRPD setting, toggle 4G to 3G then back to 4G, Wireless on, then off, Wireless Network Unchecked - wait about 20 seconds then re-check, lots of things to help re-acquire a previously lost 4G signal.

-Frank

Last edited:

droidman2177

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
take it easy frankie boy! Data has been lost all over the place for these 4G phones this year while they install, test, and get the network ready! Some days it is widespread and other days it is very localized. If it bothers you reading these posts for help, then don't read them. These folks are looking for help and in the right place. Keep postin' cause others are here to answer what they can.:)

Jeenyus

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Have you called VZW to verify the outage? You have that many "others" (friends, I guess) that have a 4G phone in that same area to compare to? And theirs is down too? Assuming 3 or more 4G phones unable to connect to 4G in the same area, it probably is a local VZW condition. But VZW should be able to corroborate that if you call them. Otherwise, I might look into other phone radio settings. Even ones that you may have made a long time ago and forgot about. Additionally, a lot of the issue with VZWs 4G is that once you lose it (even if it is a tower issue), the phone may not re-acquire it without manual manipulation. Sometimes more than just a reboot. You could check the LTE settings, the eHRPD setting, toggle 4G to 3G then back to 4G, Wireless on, then off, Wireless Network Unchecked - wait about 20 seconds then re-check, lots of things to help re-acquire a previously lost 4G signal.

-Frank

I didn't mean to sound rude or anything. And yes they have 4G phones. as I am typing this, my 4G came back on. Thanks Frank

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
take it easy frankie boy! Data has been lost all over the place for these 4G phones this year while they install, test, and get the network ready! Some days it is widespread and other days it is very localized. If it bothers you reading these posts for help, then don't read them. These folks are looking for help and in the right place. Keep postin' cause others are here to answer what they can.:)
Agreed. But sometimes messing with acquiring a new SIM and getting it installed and functioning, when it doesn't even fix the problem, is not helping anyone. Neither is talking the CS rep into replacing the phone. Just a lot of wasted energy in most cases. I wish the TB didn't have these 4G/Data issues, but it does. It may not be the phone for everybody, but voodoo trouble shooting just prolongs the agony and makes it even worse.

-Frank

Klobius

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Many data issues in Fargo, ND over the past few days. We are getting 4G by September 15th though, so I am sure that has something to do with our issues.

mychlan

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Only getting 1x in TN today...any idea whats going on...

should we blame the earthquake or the hurricane...:p

*****Just used LTE OnOff to cycle through the network types and am now getting 4G...just FYI******

Last edited:

Wildside

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
Today my phone shut down - power button did not turn it on. Pulled the battery and rebooted. For the past hour or so the phone will freeze and I have to pull the battery to reboot. The phone will stay on after reboot for about 3-5 minutes but then freezes - screen on or screen off doesn't matter.

1) Multiple battery pulls to reboot - no change
2) Since I updated my radios to 2.11 on Wednesday I restored my nandroid (I can boot into recovery) - no change
3) Phone freezes when refreshing the sync on 4g, quickly changed to 3G only using LTE On/Off - no change
4) Called VZW to ask about data issues in Denver (none per Tier 2)
5) Pulled battery, SIM card and SD card for 10 minutes - seems to be working

Factory reset is next if it freezes again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez