Do VZW Stores Have Leeway to Haggle?

ToddL

May 7, 2011
Visit site
My TB power button is sinking into to the phone casing, getting close to being unusable. I was curious if I waited until Vigor was released and took it in, if I might be able to negotiate something instead of getting another TB under the warranty. I'm not looking for anything crazy like them giving me a Vigor for free as a replacement. Just wondering if perhaps I could get them to offer me the full 2-year upgrade discount for a new device instead of a replacement.

Does anyone know how much leeway a store has in making deals?

miller7796

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't hold my breath. Seems like it has to be approved by tech support to go to a different device, and they will only move you in to something that is available as a refurb, which probably won't be the case for at least a few weeks after launch. Plus, they'll try to put you on a guilt trip saying how this is such a special exception to move you to a different device. Then you'll have to argue with them to include a battery and battery cover. Good luck.

Reactions: ToddL

pennywise

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Give it a try. When the thunderbolt came out I had over a year before I could upgrade. I asked them if I bought a ipad 1 wifi only could I upgrade my phone and they let me.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
You need to call customer care. The stores don't have the leeway to give you. I know for a fact Retention will go out of their way if you have had issues in the past. I know because I had numerous problems with BB. Retention allowed me to change to the HTC Droid Incredible and I received everything. Back door and the battery. I don't know how someone can say being switched to a different device that you won't get all the parts ! Seriously? Unfortunately I had problems with the DINC and they offered me the Dinc2 but would have to wait because they were out of the doors. THEN they offered me an early upgrade and two weeks this coming Tuesday I got the Thunderbolt.

IF you have HAD previous issues with your Thunderbolt, you may be able to get offered into a different device. If not then you will be offered a replacement. I suggest calling and seeing what they will do.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I forgot to mention you may be offered to early upgrade. Customer care bent over backwards to help me. I have also been a long time customer with Verizon............very long time. I am also polite when I talk to them. I don't yell and I am respectful. I used to work for an indirect. You just need to be nice.
There are people who try to take advantage. You have a problem though and the phone should be replaced.

Reactions: ToddL

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
My TB power button is sinking into to the phone casing, getting close to being unusable. I was curious if I waited until Vigor was released and took it in, if I might be able to negotiate something instead of getting another TB under the warranty. I'm not looking for anything crazy like them giving me a Vigor for free as a replacement. Just wondering if perhaps I could get them to offer me the full 2-year upgrade discount for a new device instead of a replacement.

Does anyone know how much leeway a store has in making deals?

My daughter got the Tbolt a month before me. She seemed to have a problem with the first one (wouldn't connect to 4G even after a software update). They sent her another one.....same thing.....then sent her another one, this time, the 8MP camera didn't work. I told them they should just send her another brand of droid (Charge was almost ready to come out), they said "No, we can't do that".

Keep this in mind....the insurance REPLACEMENT cost for the TBolt is $100...not $50 like the 3G phones. My screen cracked and was going to get another one and pay the $100....but I found a place locally (San Jose) that would do it for $105. I ended up going into VZW for another issue and they determined that it was THEIR fault and sent me a refub TBolt for free.

If your button is pushing into the case and that is your only issue, I would find out how much it would cost to repair it instead getting a replacement phone. If you have the money to upgrade to the Bionic or Vigor.....go for it!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I'd say that if you're willing to extend your contract and pay the 2-year contract price for the phone, you've got a MUCH better chance than if you were simply asking for a switch replacement.

A lot of time with new phones they will have special promotions that allow people to upgrade early if they agree to those exact conditions (phone at 2-year price w/ contract extension). I know because I've done it a few times before. The fact that you also want the brand new model will also play in your favor, because those are usually the devices that these deals qualify for.

For what it's worth, I've always done this over the phone, as I don't live anywhere near a VZW store.

Not guaranteeing you anything, but it never hurts to ask.

My daughter got the Tbolt a month before me. She seemed to have a problem with the first one (wouldn't connect to 4G even after a software update). They sent her another one.....same thing.....then sent her another one, this time, the 8MP camera didn't work. I told them they should just send her another brand of droid (Charge was almost ready to come out), they said "No, we can't do that".

Keep this in mind....the insurance REPLACEMENT cost for the TBolt is $100...not $50 like the 3G phones. My screen cracked and was going to get another one and pay the $100....but I found a place locally (San Jose) that would do it for $105. I ended up going into VZW for another issue and they determined that it was THEIR fault and sent me a refub TBolt for free.

If your button is pushing into the case and that is your only issue, I would find out how much it would cost to repair it instead getting a replacement phone. If you have the money to upgrade to the Bionic or Vigor.....go for it!

It is a very different story if you're asking them to replace a defective phone with a different model, as opposed to asking for the ability to upgrade early.

As far as the repair route, I KNOW I've seen a youtube video or instructions somewhere on how to fix the exact issue the OP describes. I don't have a link for it, but I know that there is a DIY fix for it. I also remember thinking, "there's no way I'm taking my phone apart to that extent!"...but for some, it is an an option that may cost you next to nothing (if successful).

Last edited:

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
It is a very different story if you're asking them to replace a defective phone with a different model, as opposed to asking for the ability to upgrade early.

As far as the repair route, I KNOW I've seen a youtube video or instructions somewhere on how to fix the exact issue the OP describes. I don't have a link for it, but I know that there is a DIY fix for it. I also remember thinking, "there's no way I'm taking my phone apart to that extent!"...but for some, it is an an option that may cost you next to nothing (if successful).

I agree up to a point. If my daughter received defective phones.....3 in-a-row, I think they would have said "let's try a different brand". She had only upgrade her account 2 months before....it wasn't like she was trying to go from her DROID to the TBolt.

I have seen the same video. My LCD was fine, it was the digitizer and I could have picked one up online fo about $40 - $50. But, then you have to unscrew a million (ficticiously) screws, use a heat gun to soften up the adhesive...after watching it, I decided against it.

Your right, a defective phone is different than a button getting pushed inside. But, you never know, maybe that phone was from a defective run. I know I WAS lucky for them to replace my phone. My screen was cracked for over a month before I took it in because outside of the cracked screen looking ugly, it worked perfect!

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I agree up to a point. If my daughter received defective phones.....3 in-a-row, I think they would have said "let's try a different brand". She had only upgrade her account 2 months before....it wasn't like she was trying to go from her DROID to the TBolt.

I have seen the same video. My LCD was fine, it was the digitizer and I could have picked one up online fo about $40 - $50. But, then you have to unscrew a million (ficticiously) screws, use a heat gun to soften up the adhesive...after watching it, I decided against it.

Your right, a defective phone is different than a button getting pushed inside. But, you never know, maybe that phone was from a defective run. I know I WAS lucky for them to replace my phone. My screen was cracked for over a month before I took it in because outside of the cracked screen looking ugly, it worked perfect!

Not saying I disagree with you, just that it has pretty much always been Verizon's policy. Getting a different model phone as a warranty replacement is almost impossible...even if that makes the most sense.

In most cases, especially since it's a somewhat common issue, the sunken in power button should be regarded as warranty replacement (as opposed to an insurance claim). I actually WOULD expect them to replace it in this case, but none the less, you will be getting a refurb replacement that may or may not have it's own problems...which is why fixing it yourself may be an option for some (not me).

If my phone had frequent issues AND there was a new phone I was interested in, I'd definitely at least inquire about getting an early upgrade as the OP is asking. To be honest, I love the TBolt, no problems since day 1...but I know others haven't been as fortunate.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I have had Retention allow me to make a warranty change into a different device. I was having really bad issues with Blackberry. That is how I got into the Droid Incredible. It is up to the rep you are talking to about that they will do and exactly what your issues have been and also it takes into account how many replacement devices you have had. Call and ask for the retention dept and see what happens.
Nothing to lose and everything to gain.

hmackenz

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Didn't have much luck on that front. Just received my replacement TBolt today. Hoping the little things ("proximity sensor? nah, i want to place random conference calls and hang up on people when your face comes near me") aren't an issue :)

so far so good. thing seems brand new.

If this one sucks, back it goes and in comes another, and so on. I figure eventually it'd make more sense to give me a different phone. But if the TBolt works better and battery life is the ONLY issue, I can deal :) I love the phone (well, what isn't buggy).

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Find an authorized retailer where the reps are 100% commission. They can haggle.

And often times underhanded. Those reps that haggle are sometimes the ones that give you an upgrade when your aren't due for one... because they added a line onto your account without telling you.

Sentrix

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
And often times underhanded. Those reps that haggle are sometimes the ones that give you an upgrade when your aren't due for one... because they added a line onto your account without telling you.

Is there any possible way (perhaps for limited to VZW higher-ups) that reps can give you an upgrade when you aren't due for one, without adding a line or any other workarounds? That is to say, can reps bend the rules and have it still go through the system? Do exceptions exist?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty