Backup for non-rooted phone

streetstrip01

Legalized Drug Dealer
Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Friends new phone (not a TB, maybe a DI2?) did a factory reset somehow, without her doing it. (Isn't that the way it always is?)

Anywho, what is the best backup for her "if it" happens again. She is not rooted, so titanium backup is out.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I like my backup pro, don't remember how much it cost though
+1

I have used MyBackup Pro since I had my original Droid. I think it is about $2.00...but worth it. The NON-PAID (Free) version works just as well.

Some people like Titanium Backup. Also, if you have a file manager (Astro, ES Filer), you can use that to back up also.

RichardClark

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
MyBackup Pro is $5 in the Android Market. I've been looking at that too since I think I'm about to have to do a factor reset on my phone to resolve a host of post-GB issues. However, it doesn't appear to actually backup very much for non-rooted users like myself. There are a lot of negative comments posted in the Market and on AppBrain from people who have been relying on MyBackup only to find out that when they restored a device, the data they needed wasn't restored. App data is lost. Apps were restored but the Market didn't recognize them, so updates weren't flagged and you ended up uninstalling and reinstalling them anyways. I'm still looking into it, but I would love to hear feedback from anyone who has actually used this (or any other app) to backup AND restore a non-rooted phone.

RichardClark

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Here's what MyBackup Pro backs up, according to their web site at RerWare Android? Products: MyBackup Pro (backup Android, Nexus One, Motorola Droid, G1, Hero, MyTouch, etc...), MyBookmarks . My comments are bolded.

What's supported on Android:
Application install files (If phone has root access, this includes APK+Data and Market Links)
-- useless without the data and market links
Contacts -- Google Contacts are already backed up to your Gmail account. That's why I don't use local contacts.
Call log -- Can get a list from Verizon bill if I want this
Browser bookmarks -- Already backed up with Xmarks
SMS (text messages) -- I don't need this but could use Handcent to do this if I wanted.
MMS (attachments in messages) -- Ditto
System Settings -- Convenient, but not a big deal
Home screens (including HTC Sense UI) -- Convenient, but not a big deal
Alarms -- Easy to reset. Not worth backing up.
Dictionary -- Easy to rebuild. Not worth backing up.
Calendar -- Already synced with Google Calendar
Music playlists -- I don't use this.
Integrated third party applications -- Very short list of support apps and none that I use.

So, for me at least, it doesn't do anything useful. So I'll be uninstalling my trial. I haven't found any apps that do more on un-rooted phones, so perhaps it's a limitation of the Android operating system. If that's really the case, then that's a huge shortcoming in what should be basic functionality. One that is making me rethink my decision to go from BlackBerry to Android instead of iOS (although I don't know if iOS's backup solutions are any better). Not having a reliable way to fully backup and restore data on a mobile device that is used to store vital information but is also easy to lose or break goes down in the "What were they thinking?" category.

Sorry for the mini-rant, but I am very frustrated with this phone right now which I had been very pleased with until the Gingerbread update.

garyart1

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
I had used MybackupPro recently when I did a hard reset. It did help out somewhat. What it did is reinstall all my programs (though it was a manual process saying yes to each) and all my other data including my home screens that took me a while to get just right. I am not sure about the app data. I know I had to reinput passwords and user names but I am not sure how well it did on other items. All in all it was a time saver. I know that most of my items are backed up on Google and paid apps in Android market. I do have a lot of free/paid apps from Amazon that would not install automatically. I have A LOT of apps and it would have been torture to reinstall each. I have to say personally it was worth it for me to get my system back to the way it was using one program. Just be ready because it does take time and it is a somewhat manual process.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
MyBackup Pro is $5 in the Android Market. I've been looking at that too since I think I'm about to have to do a factor reset on my phone to resolve a host of post-GB issues. However, it doesn't appear to actually backup very much for non-rooted users like myself. There are a lot of negative comments posted in the Market and on AppBrain from people who have been relying on MyBackup only to find out that when they restored a device, the data they needed wasn't restored. App data is lost. Apps were restored but the Market didn't recognize them, so updates weren't flagged and you ended up uninstalling and reinstalling them anyways. I'm still looking into it, but I would love to hear feedback from anyone who has actually used this (or any other app) to backup AND restore a non-rooted phone.

Like I said, I have been using it for almost 2 years and it has worked 100% of the time getting all my data back. When I restore, I do not restore SYSTEM settings. I also backup my contact separately. When I restore, yes, you have to accept to install each app...it is a pain, but, only takes about 15 minutes depending on how many APPS you have. If it took an hour I wouldn't mind knowing I am getting all my APPS and data back. For SMS messages you can use SMS Backup (Free). But, MyBackup also backs those up. I do admit that it doesn't do that great with MMS restores, but I usually copy those to my SD Card when I get MMS's.

For $5.00.....definately worth it!. LIke I said you can use:

ES File Explorer
1. Menu
2. Manager
3. App Manager
3. Press and Hold any icon and then pick SELECT ALL
4. Menu
5. Backup

Astro
1. Menu
2. Tools
3. Application Mamanger/Backup

then follow the screen

These backup methods take a lot longer....but is another option then to MyBackup

Reactions: Alma

casiouser

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Im not worried about my apps, i could always redownload those. What im worried about is.. Does it same game info? I have a couple of apps that dont have game save capability that i dont want to start over because ive been playing for so long.

Sent from my EVO 3D

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Here's what MyBackup Pro backs up, according to their web site at RerWare Android™ Products: MyBackup Pro (backup Android, Nexus One, Motorola Droid, G1, Hero, MyTouch, etc...), MyBookmarks . My comments are bolded.

What's supported on Android:
Application install files (If phone has root access, this includes APK+Data and Market Links)
-- useless without the data and market links
Contacts -- Google Contacts are already backed up to your Gmail account. That's why I don't use local contacts.
Call log -- Can get a list from Verizon bill if I want this
Browser bookmarks -- Already backed up with Xmarks
SMS (text messages) -- I don't need this but could use Handcent to do this if I wanted.
MMS (attachments in messages) -- Ditto
System Settings -- Convenient, but not a big deal
Home screens (including HTC Sense UI) -- Convenient, but not a big deal
Alarms -- Easy to reset. Not worth backing up.
Dictionary -- Easy to rebuild. Not worth backing up.
Calendar -- Already synced with Google Calendar
Music playlists -- I don't use this.
Integrated third party applications -- Very short list of support apps and none that I use.

So, for me at least, it doesn't do anything useful. So I'll be uninstalling my trial. I haven't found any apps that do more on un-rooted phones, so perhaps it's a limitation of the Android operating system. If that's really the case, then that's a huge shortcoming in what should be basic functionality. One that is making me rethink my decision to go from BlackBerry to Android instead of iOS (although I don't know if iOS's backup solutions are any better). Not having a reliable way to fully backup and restore data on a mobile device that is used to store vital information but is also easy to lose or break goes down in the "What were they thinking?" category.

Sorry for the mini-rant, but I am very frustrated with this phone right now which I had been very pleased with until the Gingerbread update.
I guess the thing that confuses me is that you enumerated virtually all of the items backed up by My Backup and said you either had 'em covered or didn't need 'em. Then, you continue to berate the phone for not having sufficient backup capability. I'm confused. :confused:

The very few things that require root access to backup are not a big deal to many. 'Cept those who need to keep their high-score in a game or somethin'.

Also, My Backup can be configured and scheduled to run whenever you like. Additionally, it will backup that "other" data on a rooted phone -- should you decide to root.

-Frank

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Im not worried about my apps, i could always redownload those. What im worried about is.. Does it same game info? I have a couple of apps that dont have game save capability that i dont want to start over because ive been playing for so long.

Sent from my EVO 3D

I think if you are rooted you can back up the APKS and data which would be high scores....but DO NOT QUOTE me on that. Most my games I play are online version (Words with Friends) and that is CLOUD.

I do know for a fact that GAMELOFT (Let's Golf 2, Asphalt etc.) DOES NOT have the backup capabilities...which is a big complaint on there forums.

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Unless you're rooted, I don't think any of the backup apps are going to restore app data. For the rooted crowd, it's well worth the $5 especially if you're a chronic rom flasher.

RichardClark

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Frank,

The biggest gap for me is the lack of application data backups. What's important there will vary by person. For some, it may be grandma's secret oatmeal cookie recipe that's stored in a recipe app or their perfect 3-star progress in Angry Birds. For me, it's more productivity-type apps like To Do list program or business ideas kept in various apps. Whatever the reason it's important to you, you want it backed up.

I don't fault MyBackup for being able to do it, since they apparently have the capability for rooted users. I think the problem lies with Android not having that functionality built it. So end users must root their phones to be able to get a full backup. Not a very good design for a mass market device.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Frank,

The biggest gap for me is the lack of application data backups. What's important there will vary by person. For some, it may be grandma's secret oatmeal cookie recipe that's stored in a recipe app or their perfect 3-star progress in Angry Birds. For me, it's more productivity-type apps like To Do list program or business ideas kept in various apps. Whatever the reason it's important to you, you want it backed up.

I don't fault MyBackup for being able to do it, since they apparently have the capability for rooted users. I think the problem lies with Android not having that functionality built it. So end users must root their phones to be able to get a full backup. Not a very good design for a mass market device.

This is what I found for Titanium Backup.
How To backup DATA before Upgrading Android phone

This application is available both free and paid versions ($US6.14). just unlike mybackup pro it requires root permissions and it can backup restricted application by system as well. in short it can backup absolutely everything. it is not only a backup application but also includes tools useful for rooted devices, such as file encryption, ROM management, application version freezing, and an experimental bloatware exterminator for uninstalling pre-installed softwares.

if you want to restore backup created but titanium backup then it is fine but if you have a new device to restore , then it can be problematic . because rooting method of different devices are different and can take long time to discover.

I advise you to always use backup solutions that not require root permisions

PJnc284

Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Got bored so here's some MBP screen shots for anyone who is rooted and may be on the fence. And for those not rooted, what are you waiting for. :p

snap20111006_150340.png

snap20111006_150401.png

snap20111006_150504.png

snap20111006_150426.png

jameszpalmer

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Backup software supports for few phones only. Before install the backup software we must go through the phone framework and functionality, Otherwise we faced many problems. Actually some phones didn't support the backup software but it has special features like unlocked . It means to unlocked the functionality of the phone, then automatically supports the backup software.

cheapest online backup
online backup storage uk

movielover76

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I think google really needs to design a system app or something to the effect of titainium backup, which has always done everything I needed for backups, backs up games saves and apps incase google restore decides not to work, though I have very simple backup needs, I could care less about my call log, sms or mms, and if I have photo's,music,downloads or movies they are all on my SD card anyway. Another reason why no sd card slot in a phone is bad.
And all of my contacts are in google.

CatHerd

Jun 6, 2012
Visit site

You can add me to the list of perplexed users Richard. I disagree with those who felt Google leaving it up to the developers was sound logic. It certainly was thoughtless treatment of their customers. To leave it to the developers creates an environment where every developer will be incentivized to make a proprietary backup solution - custom to each app, which is pretty much what we have.

So as an end user, I get to back up DGT GTD (high powered to-do list) to Toodledo or nothing, subscribe to Out of Milk Pro to back up to their cloud, purchase a $50 CompanionLink program to sync my Outlook Contacts, Calendar, Memos and Tasks to DejaOffice (but it doesn't solve my Outlook email), be grateful that Evernote automatically syncs to the cloud (and worry about not having another backup), ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

Google didn't need to leave us at the mercies of all that. Many of the sync'ing services would have stood on their own. I use DropBox to have the wonderful access to critical files I'm working on at multiple locations. It's truly a leap ahead. But I never EVER lose sight of the fact that DropBox synchronizes - it's NOT a backup solution - and that means they could have a server malfunction that deletes my precious data, which could then SYNC my copies in the other locations out of existence! So I BACK UP those same files from my laptop to another drive every day.

I may end up rooting my phone just to have the control I should have been given in the first place. I don't want to, just as I didn't want to become my own tech support for PC's back in the 90's. The environment created by Microsoft and the various vendors just forced it on me - poor development followed by poorer support. I really have other things I'd rather spend my time on than becoming an Android expert so I can root my phone without letting the hackers have access to everything I own.

All so I can keep my data safe? Google has created an environment where no developer can create the solution because it would require root access, which would require different program code for every phone, which means it could never pay for itself!

Worse, having read around the internet on the subject, it would seem that the average "smart"phone user fails to even see the problem - other than the prospect of losing their valuable game scores...

We're doomed. Ever see the movie: "Idiocracy"? That's where we're heading.

And BTW: I'm not sorry for my rant.