Any Hockey Fans able to download NHL GameCenter from Market?

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Hey everyone,

NHL finally announced the update to their Gamecenter app yesterday (<-- link), but yet when I go to the Market, all I can view is the old 2010 app...?

I even had them send me a link, and it still went only to the old version. Why does my Market not even see the new version which was obviously released yesterday?

Are there any other NHL fans out there that have been able to get the new app? I have a GCL subscription, and I'd really like to be able to start watching games on my phone.

EDIT: The 2011-2012 NHL GameCenter Live app is now available in the Market -- thanks everyone.

Last edited:

K_Daddy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I've been using last year's version, haven't seen any updates on verizon or Android Market. Hope they make it better this time.

K_Daddy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone,

NHL finally announced the update to their Gamecenter app yesterday (<-- link), but yet when I go to the Market, all I can view is the old 2010 app...?

I even had them send me a link, and it still went only to the old version. Why does my Market not even see the new version which was obviously released yesterday?

Are there any other NHL fans out there that have been able to get the new app? I have a GCL subscription, and I'd really like to be able to start watching games on my phone.

Your link is to the 2010 version.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Your link is to the 2010 version.

Wow...I swear just yesterday it said "2011-2012" (and the FAQ page is still all about the new version). Either way, I got to that page from here:
Twitter

I'm guessing that while the [URL="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nhl-gamecenter-2011-2012-premium/id465103273?mt=8&at=10l3Vy]iPhone/iPad app is already updated[/URL], the Android one, sadly, is not.

Like I said, I actually have a GCL subscription, so I'd really like to try out the new version and watch games on the phone...oh well...this is pretty typical NHL. Great job having this ready by the start of the season!!!

ETW11

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I finally found this in the market today. $159 for a year's subscription? I paid $80 last year on a BlackBerry. I know there's no comparison between watching on a BlackBerry versus Android, but I don't know if I can justify that price, especially if the quality isn't great over 3G.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I finally found this in the market today. $159 for a year's subscription? I paid $80 last year on a BlackBerry. I know there's no comparison between watching on a BlackBerry versus Android, but I don't know if I can justify that price, especially if the quality isn't great over 3G.

Yes, I finally found the app today!

The pricing is done much differently (and better, IMO) this year. Now, the app is tied to a GCL (GameCenter Live) account, so if you have one, like I do, you can also use the mobile app to watch games. In other words, that $159 gets you not only live games on your Android, but that's a full GCL subscription, so you can watch all the games on your computer as well.

I have had a GCL account for a few years -- works great for me because I can stream high def games to by big screen TV via my media center PC (you could also use a laptop with a video hookup, etc). My cable provider only offers standard def for out of market games on the CenterIce package, plus I travel a lot, so the online service is MUCH better for someone like me. I was upset with the GCL app last season though, because if I wanted to watch games on my mobile device, I had to pay an additional $80 for access on the phone, which didn't seem fair to me. As someone who already uses the service, the new app is great now that I can use my existing GCL account to get games on my phone!

Oh, and LET'S GO CAPS!!!

ETW11

May 26, 2011
Visit site
That's awesome for you and for others in your situation. It makes a lot of sense. But I think they still should have offered the $80 deal as an alternative for those who don't watch games on the computer. I'm already paying $170 for Center Ice so I don't want to pay another $159 just to watch games on my phone. But I probably would have paid the $80 just to get the games on my phone and not my computer. I wish they would offer the different payment options.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
That's awesome for you and for others in your situation. It makes a lot of sense. But I think they still should have offered the $80 deal as an alternative for those who don't watch games on the computer. I'm already paying $170 for Center Ice so I don't want to pay another $159 just to watch games on my phone. But I probably would have paid the $80 just to get the games on my phone and not my computer. I wish they would offer the different payment options.

Absolutely they should have, no argument there. No way I would pay an additional $160 if I already paid for Center Ice.

Last year, it wasn't very fair that they wanted GCL subscribers, such as myself, to pay an additional $80 to watch games on mobile; this year, it's not very fair that someone like you, that has Center Ice, needs to get a full GCL account to access games on your phone.

I think they should find a way to offer a cheaper "mobile only" option for GCL, but still allow full GCL subscribers to use the app -- that, or allow CI subscribers to access the games via mobile app somehow.

K_Daddy

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
at least they fixed the issue where you couldn't listen to a game until the score updated, I miss the beginning of so many games last year.

stogrady

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone been able to get video to work on the Motorola Xoom? I can watched condensed games via my Premium account on my nexus one, but video won't play on the Xoom. Very frustrating! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non